Zoopedia for plants

I also don't live in a Greenhouse but I still was able to grow lots of Plants that aren't temperate🙃
Just need to know when the perfect Time for it is and/or simulate the necessary Climate somehow
I really don't appreciate the weird snarky upside smiley face thing you do. Sorry you jumped to the wrong conclusion about my post, not sure why you're so upset about it.

Edit: My house gets to about 4degrees celsius in the winter at night, which is right now, and our monstera just produced a new leaf this week. Take from that what you will.

I really don't appreciate the weird snarky upside smiley face thing you do. Sorry you jumped to the wrong conclusion about my post, not sure why you're so upset about it.

Edit: My house gets to about 4degrees celsius in the winter at night, which is right now, and our monstera just produced a new leaf this week. Take from that what you will.
I'm not upset. It's great to hear that the Plant is doing well even though the Temperatures are so low. Maybe it works because it's only that cold at Night or the Plant was able to acclimate to the low Temperatures slow enough.
I hope you won't have any Problems with it in the Future. Sometimes it can be a bit difficult to bring a Plant through the Winter. My Sago Palm for Example always looks absolutely horrible after Winter. Really need to find a better Place for it during that Time. Maybe the Light isn't strong enough where it is standing

I live in the Tropical/semi Tropics and Monstera deliciosa live outside very happily - we consider them a weed here (although their fruit is really delicious - tastes exactly like fruit salad) - and we do get down to zero here too - just below in fact (infrequently) - but Global Warming is changing things dramatically - I have noticed this over the last ten years - (hotter Seasons ) - I live on a mountain over 500 m elevation so the Tropical/semi rule is a but different due to the elevation - but they are as tough as leather and we regularly try to kill them - every bit/stem will weedishly grow. It's all very interesting - LOVE all the new plants in the about to release pack . . .

I live in the Tropical/semi Tropics and Monstera deliciosa live outside very happily - we consider them a weed here (although their fruit is really delicious - tastes exactly like fruit salad) - and we do get down to zero here too - just below in fact (infrequently) - but Global Warming is changing things dramatically - I have noticed this over the last ten years - (hotter Seasons ) - I live on a mountain over 500 m elevation so the Tropical/semi rule is a but different due to the elevation - but they are as tough as leather and we regularly try to kill them - every bit/stem will weedishly grow. It's all very interesting - LOVE all the new plants in the about to release pack . . .
Wow, thanks for the interesting Information 🙂👍
Can you provide Informations how long it gets that cold and how cold exactly?

Not as cold as Europe - Australia has cold snaps though (and in Summer we can get up to and over 45 degree's Celsius) - that last for a few days probably at most.
It gets to just below zero occasionally; in fact they said this morning it was the coldest Day of the year (so far) at 1 Deg Celsius this early am - only once or twice a year (usually - but everything is a bit Topsy turvey - with Global weather change) - and our winters would be considered Summery to most Europeans and other parts of the world. The maximums for the rest of this week are only 15 or so Degree's - freezing for me - I don't like the cold . . .

Just out of interest - where are you located Urufu1997? - and how cold does it get where you are? And do you have to grow it indoors or in a Greenhouse?

But where I live is higher elevation than most of Queensland and relatively South in the huge State of Queensland - so we get a strange mix of Tropical, Semi Tropical and Temperate/Cold Climate. In other Western parts of Queensland it snows a lot in Winter (now) too. They are regularly below Zero and have snow and frost.

Here, where I live 550 metres elevation, we can grow colder climate plants - Azaleas, Blue Berries, Rhododendron species - Tropical and Colder climate varieties, Roses, Huge amount of Ferns, Epiphytes and Rain-forest Trees, shrubs and climbers. As well as Tropical Plants - Bananas, Tropical Palms, Cordylines, Bromiliads, - the list is massive.

The soil is also Red Volcanic - for the mountain is part of the rim of an extinct volcano and there is Semi Tropical Rain Forest everywhere. The Glass House Mountains are here too.

Something interesting - the fruit of the Monstera is delicious - but has this black lining around the white fleshy pieces you eat - The black layer splits into tiny fragments and if you do not wash the black lining/bits away before eating - they stick to your tongue and it is the most peculiar sensation that you will never forget. Your tongue literally has to be scraped clean and it is a totally strange and uncomfortable experience. I know people who will not eat it again after this common eating experience - so if you have the chance to eat it - always wash it and get all the black stuff off . . . But the amazing fruit salad smell and taste is worth eating it - here, they call it the fruit salad plant - for it smells and tastes exactly like eating a fresh bowl of tropical fruit salad - common names vary way too much - I've never heard it called the Swiss Cheese plant. Also - a variegated Hybrid Monstera looking plant just sold for $27000 in New Zealand - there was a frenzied bidding war.

Last edited:
Just out of interest - where are you located Urufu1997? - and how cold does it get where you are? And do you have to grow it indoors or in a Greenhouse?
I live in Germany. Don't know how cold it can get exactly during Winter but since a few Years Snow has become way rarer. But it gets definitely colder than where you live.
I grow my Plants in my House but it might even work to grow some tropical Plants outside during Summer. Didn't try it yet. Normally I should put my Sago Palm outside now that I'm sure that it won't get too cold but it's a really big and heavy Pot and I've injured my Shoulder so it will need to wait a bit longer.

Thank you for sharing - plants are wonderful and always inspiring :) Weather seems to be changing pretty quickly now - we are getting more tropical and need our open fire less too. I love Sago palms/Cycads - they grow naturally right up and down the Australian East Coast - so many species of them. Cairns has them all right next to the Aqua coloured ocean - right down to the beach and sand - it is amazing and beautiful to see. There are thousands of them dotted up and down the mountains of the coastal road. One of the State Forests near here (near Glasshouse) has a few endemic species that have fine needle thin foliage and the plant, when seen from a distance, looks feathery.

There are so many Species of them around the world and a Botanic Garden opened up on a private property walking distance away - half a kilometre from my house - and the man is Sth African - he bought his collection with him and has put them into the gardens. The gardens cover a massive area and cascade down the steep mountain and over look the Glass House Mountains and Brisbane. Although the gardens (the management and other plant variety) are not that great - the ponds, Cycads and views are worth the entry. I'm happy you have such a beautiful plant in your house. Sorry to hear about your shoulder and hope you get better soon, G

I found these photo's - I had one that was even finer - but i planted it too close to the house and had to remove it - and the proximity of water pipes to the roots meant it did not end up well for the Cycad - the photos show the beautiful feather-like foliage that it had - and believe it or not - there are even finer species as well - they are staggering - even the leaves are softer in nature and less pointed than most varieties. A local forest nursery had them for sale years ago . . . and the last is the Botanic Gardens overlooking the Glasshouse Mountains. The owner is not a Horticulturalist and the gardens do have to have a lot of work done to them - but as you can see the view is ASTOUNDING :), regards G

11.jpg
Cyads-745x1024.jpg
tumblr_ow4rpcCr1n1v7g0pzo5_500.jpg
OIP.jpg
2_gygau5.jpg

I found these photo's - I had one that was even finer - but i planted it too close to the house and had to remove it - and the proximity of water pipes to the roots meant it did not end up well for the Cycad - the photos show the beautiful feather-like foliage that it had - and believe it or not - there are even finer species as well - they are staggering - even the leaves are softer in nature and less pointed than most varieties. A local forest nursery had them for sale years ago . . . and the last is the Botanic Gardens overlooking the Glasshouse Mountains. The owner is not a Horticulturalist and the gardens do have to have a lot of work done to them - but as you can see the view is ASTOUNDING :), regards G

View attachment 243049View attachment 243050View attachment 243051View attachment 243052View attachment 243053
Wow, looks absolutely amazing

It's a beautiful part of the world and not what people think of when they think of Australia - but Queensland is astoundingly beautiful - and the Cycads are truly beautiful too :) .

How good is the new additions to the game - WOW - thanks Frontier - the Fennecs and Meerkats are just incredible!

Top Bottom