Planet Coaster: Season Pass

Many games now in days offer a discount if you buy all upcoming DLC/expanision packs as a bundle instead of individually.

I like the idea of a Planet Coaster Season Pass. A one time annual fee for all of DLC/expansion packs and content for Planet Coaster being released throughout the year. Of course this would only work if at least three DLC/expansions are developed annually.

An annual fee of $50 or $60 for this Season Pass seems fair, considering each DLC/expanision might cost up to $30 dollars.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Many games now in days offer a discount if you buy all upcoming DLC/expanision packs as a bundle instead of individually.

I like the idea of a Planet Coaster Season Pass. A one time annual fee for all of DLC/expansion packs and content for Planet Coaster being released throughout the year. Of course this would only work if at least three DLC/expansions are developed annually.

An annual fee of $50 or $60 for this Season Pass seems fair, considering each DLC/expanision might cost up to $30 dollars.

Thoughts?

I really HATE Season Passes with a Passion. Think about it: You fork out the Cash in advance in hopes all the DLC you already payed for gets developed. There were cases with other Games that this wasn't the Case. You gave them Cash, and nothing really happened. Now i think Frontier won't do this kind of thing, but i would really really hate the Idea of a Season Pass. I didn't like it in Elite: Dangerous, and i will not like it here either.

Now, it is still WAY too early to think about DLC already. You don't even have the finished Game yet.

I too hate season passes, mainly because I don't play games long enough to get all the extra content - I switch too much... :(

However with Elite - I was in the alpha, and I get all the extra stuff for the price I paid - e.g. horizons. I'm hoping frontier will do the same for the Alpha testers of PC - for paying a lot of money to be in the alpha and helping them to make this game great, as a thank you reword - However I'm happy to have the Expansions at a good discount.

Vampiro

Volunteer Moderator
Hahaha, i was waiting for Angelis to respond something like this :D

Personally i won't mind either way, i will buy anyway [tongue]

Personally, I don't like season pass... I would prefer to choose what DLC and/or expansion I'll buy. I prefer to pay for the thing in which I'm interested and choose when.

Last edited:
People asking for paying "DLC" now .............. [wacky][wacky][wacky]

I think that with all these people who want to pay, Frontier should install a "Paypal donation" button on their site or something, so they can satisfy their urges. [up]

I'm not big fan of Season passes... but, if Frontier decided to launch one for Planet Coaster, I probably wouldn't think twice about ordering it on day one! [haha]

Last edited:

Vampiro

Volunteer Moderator

I think that with all these people who want to pay, Frontier should install a "Paypal donation" button on their site or something, so they can satisfy their urges. [up]

Hahaha :D

I really get what you are saying, i really do.
But im just so hooked to this game, it doesnt matter to me what they offer me, the minute i can get more content, i WILL.

My mind is agreeing with you, but my heart won't let me think rational when it comes to PC and i will buy it anyway. [mouth shut]

I've been burned by DLC and season passes that aren't actually season passes too many times in the past several years. 2K and Ubisoft have made me despise DLC when I used to like or tolerate it. I do NOT want to see this business model come to Planet Coaster. Expansions that change the gameplay are much more appealing than content DLCs or season passes.

i don't like the idea either, battlefield one and call of duty do that, i would rather give the money to frontier for development than doing a season pass.

Last edited:
Hahaha :D

I really get what you are saying, i really do.
But im just so hooked to this game, it doesnt matter to me what they offer me, the minute i can get more content, i WILL.

My mind is agreeing with you, but my heart won't let me think rational when it comes to PC and i will buy it anyway. [mouth shut]
I understand, and this is exactly why Apple sell overpriced Iphones.

For me, it's pretty clear, when someone tries to sell you something by playing with the emotional aspect, then he is a scammer.
This kind of thing can be legal of course (In the juridical aspect of the term), but it's still totally immoral.
And I don't want to see this kind of disgusting sales techniques in a game like PlanetCoaster that I really love, or in a studio like Frontier who has a good image.

- Sell the game : Obviously, it is a company, they have to make money, no problem with that
- support the game with "Free updates" for a certain time : Perfect.
- Paying "Expansions pack" in the future : Ok.
- Paying scenery "DLC" : Ok, but ONLY under the condition that we also have lots of free UGC. (to avoid giving advantages to rich players)

But nothing else is fair when you do the maths.

I'm not a fan of DLC when it's for everything in a game (a ride, a piece of scenery, a map, etc.)... I choose wrong wording. I want to mean that I'm ok with downloadable content when it's more like expansion pack that would really add to the core game.

I found it so frustrating when a company wants us to pay for everything and everytime. That's why UGC is really important in this type of game.

Last edited:

Vampiro

Volunteer Moderator
I think it's a very difficult discussion. [blah]

Angelis said:
For me, it's pretty clear, when someone tries to sell you something by playing with the emotional aspect, then he is a scammer.
With that you also say that every product and every company that is advertising stuff is scamming you as ALL advertisement is trying to make you make irrational and emotional decissions on buying the product. Thats just how the world works. People are willing to buy overpriced products because they think they really have to have it. The "overpriced" part is what the stores and the whole supply chain calls "profit". [tongue]

At the same time nobody is forcing you to buy -any- form of DLC/Expantion/Season Pass. When you don't think the content is worth's the price, then just don't buy regardless of how it's called.

Last but not least, when is a game overpriced? I always try to think of it in a certain way :

I really wanted to have Naruto Storm 4 because i really love the series and i want to have the game as well. Let's say it has cost me $40. After playing for like 20 hours i had seen enough of it, put it on the shelf and never play it again. So this game has cost me $2 per hour.

Now let's compare that to RCT3 + 2 Expantion packs, what did it cost me? $40 + $20 + $20?? (i dont know anymore) So let's just assume this game cost me $80.
but i have played this game for days and days and days over the course of the last 10 years. Im willing to bet the house i've spend at least 300 hours on it (thats not even 5 min. a day) so RCT3 with all expantions has cost me $0,27 per hour.

So what determines if a game is expensive or not? Im pretty sure if i compare PC to any other game and do this same "cost per hour" thing, its the cheapest game i have ever played [big grin]

So what i wanted to say basically, i find it a pretty difficult discussion... as so many factors come into play. (how often do i play? how much money i have to spend? how bad do i want more content) In the end of the day, Frontier will take the strategy that will make them the most money, thats why they are a company after all [happy] And it's up to us to decide if we want it or not.

Last edited:
With that you also say that every product and every company that is advertising stuff is scamming you as ALL advertisement is trying to make you make irrational and emotional decissions on buying the product. Thats just how the world works. People are willing to buy overpriced products because they think they really have to have it. The "overpriced" part is what the stores and the whole supply chain calls "profit". [tongue]
Not at all. It's not the same thing.

Advertising helps sell products playing on the unconscious. You will "unconsciously" buy a product that you know the brand over another.
What is very different to play on the emotions (eg, swindlers in the street asking to buy an item for "save the children" to take a strong exemple).

At the same time nobody is forcing you to buy -any- form of DLC/Expantion/Season Pass. When you don't think the content is worth's the price, then just don't buy regardless of how it's called.
Of course, nobody is forcing you to buy anything.
Nobody is forcing you to buy a phone, you can send letters. But it creates an disadvantage.

If you sell a full game, with the same content for anyone, everyone has the opportunity to create what he want.
But if you sell a game, and certain type of content or features are only available with DLC, then you create a disadvantage between those who have enough money to have access to all the features, and the poorest. (This is why, for exemple, the majority of the games offering a "cash shop", objects that can be purchased with real money are only cosmetic, to avoid this kind of disadvantage between the players according to their wallet)

Last but not least, when is a game overpriced? I always try to think of it in a certain way [...]
Wow ! I never said that the game is overpriced (To be 100% honest, Iam always, I even said the opposite, many times on this forum).

Thank you to read what I write before to forge your opinion because I never said that, I said that Iphones are overpriced, which is a fact (the "margin ratio" of an iPhone6 is 70%)
DLC's can be overpriced too, because the ratio between "working time" and the "selling price" of a DLC is sometimes 10 times, 50 times or even 100 times supperior than the original game. (this is worse than an Iphone here, we are talking about 3 or 4 digit ratio %, which is a real joke on som games)

But I never said that the game is overpriced.
In fact, I think that the selling price of the game (pre-order edition) has been undervalued, but they adjusted the shot since then.

So what i wanted to say basically, i find it a pretty difficult discussion... as so many factors come into play. (how often do i play? how much money i have to spend? how bad do i want more content) In the end of the day, Frontier will take the strategy that will make them the most money, thats why they are a company after all [happy] And it's up to us to decide if we want it or not.
It's not difficult, it's pretty simple :

1) If they sell DLC, they will necessarily have a bad image (it's like that in the gaming industry since the invention of DLC) and I don't want they have a bad image.
2) A DLC is ALWAYS overpriced (the multiplier is larger or smaller according to publisher/developper, but it's still always true), and I don't want to pay something which is not fair.
3) If they start to sell this kind of things, they will immediately lose the support of some members of this community (myself included)
4) More the sales techniques are aggressive, more the piracy rate of the game will be important (and after a certain level of aggressiveness, Denuvo will not be useful anymore, because the pirates will be many more on the other side of the fence)

This kind of aggressive techniques can fill the treasury of a company in the short term, but it is a very bad strategic choice for the long term because "customer confidence" and the "brand image" has its price too. (which can be two powerful allies for future productions, including "expansion packs").

So, no, Frontier should not take the strategy that will make them win the most money, but Frontier should take the strategy that will make them win the most money OVER THE YEARS.
And it's not the same thing.

Vampiro

Volunteer Moderator
Angelis said:
Not at all. It's not the same thing.

Advertising helps sell products playing on the unconscious. You will "unconsciously" buy a product that you know the brand over another.
What is very different to play on the emotions (eg, swindlers in the street asking to buy an item for "save the children" to take a strong exemple).

Okay, but if that's the case, what does it have to do with Planet Coaster? Because i dont see the description you give fitting anything that Frontier has ever done.

Angelis said:
Of course, nobody is forcing you to buy anything.
Nobody is forcing you to buy a phone, you can send letters. But it creates an disadvantage.

If you sell a full game, with the same content for anyone, everyone has the opportunity to create what he want.
But if you sell a game, and certain type of content or features are only available with DLC, then you create a disadvantage between those who have enough money to have access to all the features, and the poorest. (This is why, for exemple, the majority of the games offering a "cash shop", objects that can be purchased with real money are only cosmetic, to avoid this kind of disadvantage between the players according to their wallet)

Thats entirely true, but isn't that how the world works nowdays? Not everyone can afford everything. And it's an utopia to think everyone should be able to buy everything. The games world is no difference i think (altough on a lesser scale). Maybe you are right in the fact that not every person has the money to buy all DLC, but can you blame Frontier for making it anyway so they can make a profit from the people who do have enough money?

Ferrari is selling car's that i can never ever afford, it might be unfair, but who's to blame?

Angelis said:
Wow ! I never said that the game is overpriced (To be 100% honest, Iam always, I even said the opposite, many times on this forum).

Thank you to read what I write before to forge your opinion because I never said that, I said that Iphones are overpriced, which is a fact (the "margin ratio" of an iPhone6 is 70%)
DLC's can be overpriced too, because the ratio between "working time" and the "selling price" of a DLC is sometimes 10 times, 50 times or even 100 times supperior than the original game. (this is worse than an Iphone here, we are talking about 3 or 4 digit ratio %, which is a real joke on som games)

But I never said that the game is overpriced.
In fact, I think that the selling price of the game (pre-order edition) has been undervalued, but they adjusted the shot since then.

Well, glad we agree the game isn't too expensive [wink]

But i might even want to debate the Iphone price. Maybe the margin is high but also realize development of the chips cost billions before the first iphone ever makes in into the store.
(I work at a company that is essential in research and development of computer chips, and billions are involved before new techniques ever make it into production [mouth shut])

But i certainly agree that most DLC are more expensive in ratio to the base game. And maybe that's wrong or immoral, but if thats how the market works and how they get the most profit out of it, who is to blame? If the ratio is the same, the base game might cost $150 and they won't sell many copy's, but if people are willing to pay a relative high price for less content in an expantion/DLC, who is to blame? The company who wants profit or the people who buy anyway? Personally, i dont know the answer... but pointing the finger just to Frontier is too easy in my opinion.

Angelis said:
So, no, Frontier should not take the strategy that will make them win the most money, but Frontier should take the strategy that will make them win the most money OVER THE YEARS.
And it's not the same thing.

I fully agree, but maybe the less appreciated tactics are the ones making them the most money over the years. Why else would they choose that certain strategy? Once again, i don't know the answer to it, and i doubt you do. The only party that knows is probably Frontier. Company's spend a lot of time on sale strategy, so they probably know what they are doing to make sure they are making the most profit.

Ok last but not least, this is going slightly too deep for a "simple" discussion about Season Pass or no Season Pass :D
Maybe needless to say but please know none of this is a personal attack on you [happy] We just don't really seem to agree on this one and its a pleasure to have a good (friendly) debate over it.

Last edited:

Vampiro

Volunteer Moderator
You guys lets not break into economics now [tongue]

First of all, stop calling it "DLC" the entire game is a downloaded content. Call them ADD-ONS just like in previous RCTs

Secondly, stop discussing PRICE... what we need to discuss is the SIZE and VALUE of add-ons.

I already have a thread on this right here --> https://forums.planetcoaster.com/sh...haring-or-Multiplayer?highlight=compatibility

Please and thank you!

Sorry creaper, i won't do it anymore [ugh]

(No serious, i already realized this is going way too deep. So i guess you are right) [wink]

Last edited:
@Vampiro I could spend hours and hours to explain to you why you are wrong when you fake to pretend that you do not know who blame. You do not believe yourself.
You know just like me that some video game companies are honest, fair and lucrative at the same time. So there is no reason to accept that Frontier use this crappy strategy.
And it's stupid to accept it like "a fact" thinking that "the world is like that anyway, everyone is corrupted by the new god named money".
And I'm convinced that you know I'm right.

Anyway, you are right, this is going way too deep, and in this kind of debate, the weight of words is important, and it is difficult to answer in English, while this is not my native language, so ...

@Everybody Thank you not to request paying "DLC" or "Seasons Passes", because these are scams, introduced only by unethical and greedy shareholders, in exchange of completely useless content without any value, when we can have, in the future, after a free support period, few "Expansions Packs", adding not only new content but also new game mechanics, and new features.
Because it makes no sense to ask something against your own interests. Be smart, use your brains.

Thanks [happy]

I'm done with this thread.
Over !

Top Bottom