Relying on Price of admissions alone leads to serious debt

Severity
Minor

Frequency
All of the time (100% reproducible)

Area of Game Affected
Park Management

Description
It is near impossible to make a park that depends on the price of admission for park income alone but there are many theme parks that have you pay only the price of admission. You basically go bankrupt and I believe this is because of the financial coding. The coding is also a bit strange in that it almost tries to balance itself out sometimes especially when you actually are going broke but anyways if anything can be done to tweek this that would be cool because once you raise the price of admissions for example to $75+ guests will not pay to enter the park even when all rides are free even if you have a pile of rides.

Steps to Reproduce
Make all rides free and try to increase your gate admissions fee and then watch you go almost 100k in dept instantly.

I haven't experimented too deeply with that, but the one time I did, sure enough, I started losing money pretty quickly. The problem is that too many guests stay in the park far too long, and since only so many guests can be in the park, entry sales dry up. Of course, if you were to manually close the park, so that everyone floods out, the next time you open, you'd make a quick bundle. I'm not sure whether or not the game is balanced for this kind of gameplay though. I'd love to create a park that opens at 10am and closes at 10pm, and for the day/night cycle to be long enough for the guests to enjoy their day fully, but for now, I'm sticking to charging for rides and staying open non-stop.

Last edited:
Perhaps guests could take into account the price of the rides when deciding whether or not to enter?

On the other hand guests do stay for days at a time with he speed of the in game time.

I object, if a park works with per-ride prices but can not get by with only a main-gate fee there is something wrong with the game.

Sorry but Mark is right. It isn't a bug/coding issue. It is designed by devs to be the way it is. So we should as players suggest this isn't correct and actually we should be able to charge $50-$80 for entrance rather than £12.50 to $20 for 4 rides to get the same income as such.

I would like to see this happen.

I would like people to pay that sort of amount and then see the running costs of rides double & the costs of constructions to triple. I would like to see the cost of rides to double to triple.

Sorry but Mark is right. It isn't a bug/coding issue. It is designed by devs to be the way it is. So we should as players suggest this isn't correct and actually we should be able to charge $50-$80 for entrance rather than £12.50 to $20 for 4 rides to get the same income as such.

I would like to see this happen.

I would like people to pay that sort of amount and then see the running costs of rides double & the costs of constructions to triple. I would like to see the cost of rides to double to triple.

If X = A + B where X is the total money spent by a guest, A is the cost to enter the park, and B is cost to ride everything in the park then it shouldn't matter the ratio of A:B so long as X is constant. The fact that this isn't the case indicates that the guests are not properly taking the total cost of a day into account, but are instead looking at the park entry fee completely separate and in disregard to the fact that the rides inside cost nothing.

If X = A + B where X is the total money spent by a guest, A is the cost to enter the park, and B is cost to ride everything in the park then it shouldn't matter the ratio of A:B so long as X is constant. The fact that this isn't the case indicates that the guests are not properly taking the total cost of a day into account, but are instead looking at the park entry fee completely separate and in disregard to the fact that the rides inside cost nothing.

Yes and currently that is done by intent from the devs and not a bug with the fact that they don't pay more to get in if everything is free because of how they have set the guest AI.

What we are suggesting is that they actually should do what you have advised. Yes they should say, I am willing to pay that $50-$80 because I don't pay for rides but at moment they wont pay more than say $20 even with things free. I get that.

However you can never expect that someone would pay $400 cause that is what you would get for all the rides. You have to expect that in the game guests are likely riding only around 3-4 rides before leaving which is why I am using those figures to make the suggestion to what we would like.

All I am saying is it's not a bug and should be a suggestion from the community to say "hey why doesn't it, surely that's how it should work and we want this"

Yes you could say that is common sense and should be how it works but that doesn't make it a bug either.

I didn't see that.... I may misunderstand you but, My guests uses to think that as the rides are free, the Entrance ticket should be higher. I can make a Paid Entrance and free rides and make profit.. But only at an advanced stage when your park is full and guests are leaving and comming at the same time, and when all your stores are operating efficiently.... wich is quiet hard to do.[haha]

I didn't see that.... I may misunderstand you but, My guests uses to think that as the rides are free, the Entrance ticket should be higher. I can make a Paid Entrance and free rides and make profit.. But only at an advanced stage when your park is full and guests are leaving and comming at the same time, and when all your stores are operating efficiently.... wich is quiet hard to do.[haha]

You can but it is limited from what I found compared to having someone pay for 4 rides. I certainly seem to find it top out around the $20 mark.

I think yes, guests stay in the park too long, having followed one group around from entry to departure, a very unrealistic amount of time, like over a day. They should have been too tired after 12 hours maximum. Guests should get tired in a reasonable amount of time and go home and get replaced. It would be good if the game took notice of the in-game clock time so that you could notice ebb and flow of attendees

Somebody suggested that for every day a guest spends at the park, they either have to pay the entry fee again (to simulate going for a second day) or leave the park. I think that's a very elegant solution that wouldn't massively change how the guest system fundamentally works and would allow fee on entry with free rides to be viable.

I haven't experimented too deeply with that, but the one time I did, sure enough, I started losing money pretty quickly. The problem is that too many guests stay in the park far too long, and since only so many guests can be in the park, entry sales dry up. Of course, if you were to manually close the park, so that everyone floods out, the next time you open, you'd make a quick bundle. I'm not sure whether or not the game is balanced for this kind of gameplay though. I'd love to create a park that opens at 10am and closes at 10pm, and for the day/night cycle to be long enough for the guests to enjoy their day fully, but for now, I'm sticking to charging for rides and staying open non-stop.

RCT 3 was though so I thought this might be too

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Moving this one over to Suggestions and Ideas. [happy]

As said in another post that was moved, I feel that this was a glitch or technical issue since otherwise if this is intended it should be said in the game's tutorial.

Yes and currently that is done by intent from the devs and not a bug with the fact that they don't pay more to get in if everything is free because of how they have set the guest AI.

What we are suggesting is that they actually should do what you have advised. Yes they should say, I am willing to pay that $50-$80 because I don't pay for rides but at moment they wont pay more than say $20 even with things free. I get that.

However you can never expect that someone would pay $400 cause that is what you would get for all the rides. You have to expect that in the game guests are likely riding only around 3-4 rides before leaving which is why I am using those figures to make the suggestion to what we would like.

All I am saying is it's not a bug and should be a suggestion from the community to say "hey why doesn't it, surely that's how it should work and we want this"

Yes you could say that is common sense and should be how it works but that doesn't make it a bug either.

You keep saying that this is the way it's supposed to be or how the devs want it, please show me where they explicitly state this.

Not sure if this should be a separate thread or not, but while we're on the subject of charging for admission and the concept of the park opening and closing (to the point that the guests all leave the park) on a day-to-day basis... wouldn't it be nice if we could choose how long in real time the day/night cycle is?

Not sure if this should be a separate thread or not, but while we're on the subject of charging for admission and the concept of the park opening and closing (to the point that the guests all leave the park) on a day-to-day basis... wouldn't it be nice if we could choose how long in real time the day/night cycle is?

You can do that by setting your park opening and close times (if you've ever noticed "sudden daylight" in your park that's because your park closed, in the dark and is re-opening in the sunshine of morning. And yes, I'm a poet ;p)

Agree with premise of the thread, would be nice to be able to rely on entrance fees. It's not trivial for devs to code though .. because to avoid you doing both (charging high for both rides AND entrance) there needs to be a guest brain colculation on whether to enter the park with a high fee but based on the cost of (all) rides, too. To do it properly, it would also make a difference to you if you are a family group, or teenager, as some park themes and associated entrance fees will be more or less appealing to you buying the ticket?

I don't think it's impossible but is much more of a luxury than it first appears maybe?
I'll add my +1 to the request though. :D

You can do that by setting your park opening and close times (if you've ever noticed "sudden daylight" in your park that's because your park closed, in the dark and is re-opening in the sunshine of morning.

You misunderstand I'm afraid. What I meant was that I'd like to be able to change how much real life time an in-game day consumes. For example, if the park opens at 10AM and closes at 10PM, and I want each hour in game to take 10 minutes, I'd want to be able to set the day/night cycle to last two real life hours. The sun would rise and fall much slower, and the two hours would be plenty of time for guests paying for park entry instead of individual rides to enjoy a lot of what the park has to offer. Then when the park closes, it would empty out completely. Perhaps once the last guests leaves, time can skip ahead to the next opening hour. This is really just food for thought. Such a feature would require a lot of detailed rebalancing. We'd need employees to have shifts, and we'd need to be able to schedule when rides stop accepting guests into their queues. Guests would be willing to spend more on merchandise, food and drinks since the rides are free. Etc, etc. I guess I'm just envisioning a true Disneyland style day/night cycle and... well, I'm rambling. I'll stop now. :)

Last edited:
RCT 3 was though so I thought this might be too

As said in another post that was moved, I feel that this was a glitch or technical issue since otherwise if this is intended it should be said in the game's tutorial.

You keep saying that this is the way it's supposed to be or how the devs want it, please show me where they explicitly state this.

Because that is why it was moved. If it wasn't intended then Mark would have said they were looking into it. They are capable of talking to one another and go "hey by way this was on the forum as a bug, have we designed it this way or is it a bug guys"

And then he can move it accordingly if needed. Common sense would show that is what has been done throughout Alpha, Beta & now.

There have been several threads on this topic, a bunch of people have confirmed they've moved to free rides and gate tickets once the park is large enough.

It is possible. It just isn't feasible when the park is small according to the game's simulation.

Top Bottom