Emissive textures question

Is the emmissive texture a fixed amount or can we specify the amount in our submission , (I may have missed this). Cheers.

How emissive it is I would think depends on the values you put in the texture. It's definitely not an on/off thing as far as I can tell from other game engines.

How emissive it is I would think depends on the values you put in the texture. It's definitely not an on/off thing as far as I can tell from other game engines.

Thats the thing it had no emissive settings at all it was just a plain photoshop texture. with RGB values only.

You may be confused about what the emissive texture is. I believe it should be a greyscale mask which tells exactly how emissive every part of the object is, where black = not emissive, white = max emissive, and all values of gray are in between. EDIT: Looks like I could be wrong, and that colour in the emissive texture is relevant (not sure), but either way the brightness/luma should define how bright it emits.

Last edited:
The Emmisive is a Grayscale from White (90%) to Black.
White is full Glow and Black is non Glow.
So... If you want that you Object is only Glow half then use a Gray Color (50%) ;)

Some game engines accept RGB for emissive, so I can see the confusion.

perhaps the document should be updated to show whether a texture is supposed to be RGB or Grey to make sure nobody wastes more time than needed!

Here's an example of how emmisive textures work in the TMTK:
20181124233016_1.jpg

For this till, here is the main texture or 'Base Colour' file:
cashRegister_BC.png

Then here is the emmisive texture:
cashRegister_EM.png

originally, I just had the emissive as large block textures where the screens are, but it totally washes out the design... so a greyscale approach seems to work much better :)

Cheers for the replies.

Here's an example of how emmisive textures work in the TMTK:
View attachment 2435

For this till, here is the main texture or 'Base Colour' file:
View attachment 2436

Then here is the emmisive texture:
View attachment 2437

originally, I just had the emissive as large block textures where the screens are, but it totally washes out the design... so a greyscale approach seems to work much better :)

The grayscale system seems to be how they interperate em values, it would have been nice if they would put these basic requirements in there flow diagrams. rather than a half baked diagram that shows about 40% of the needed requirments for files, textures and LOD placements.

Thanks to the community for the help.

I was playing with emissives, and it looks like RGB values are the way to go. Here's a comparison between a greyscale _EM version of my sign and a version with the same RGB values as my _BC file.

emissives.jpg

Ok Cortinian shows how em textures work and SarrahW shows another example that works as well, wouldn't it be nice if frontier had the decency to give us an explanation on how these things are supposed to work? Again thanks to the hard work from the community, and to the sheer hard work and the time and effort of there endeavors to provide us with Needed information on the Thememakers Workshop.

Top Bottom