To grid, or not to grid?

hey planet coaster community! Just wondering, would you guys rather have grid based building, or non-grid based building? Personally, i would rather have the grid, but i wanna see what other people think, or maybe even a whole OTHER way of building![noob][noob][squeeeeee][squeeeeee][up]

Depends on what your building. For non coaster, the grid works good for me. For coasters, I actually kind of like the thing they are trying to do with RCTW (basically having the track move with your mouse and clicking to place it down). Id say id prefer that more free approach over grid building which makes you click for every small section you place. But it looks like that comes with its own problems so maybe its better for Coaster World to stick with grids and really just nail that.

Both. We need the option to use as well as to not use a grid. When it comes to building things straight, fluid and evenly spaced; we need a grid. When it comes to more free-form construction; the grid doesn't matter. Both are essential, both are needed.

One issue with having both is that both ways might have flaws, instead of having just one way that is done really well. Hopefully though they can pull a two system way off that doesnt have any major issues.

I think this is definitely a time where both is better. Free form by default and snap to grid if you hold shift. Or something like that. With another button to toggle grad snapping on/off.

I think this is definitely a time where both is better. Free form by default and snap to grid if you hold shift. Or something like that. With another button to toggle grad snapping on/off.

i'm more a mouse player, so i hope they just make an selection box to use grid!

Press G to turn on the grid which is exactly like the grid in RCT3. Press G again to turn it off and have free placement of scenery, rides, and other things.

Not like that other game, with the stupid small grid that pops up.

Last edited:
I like this idea of moving between grid and non grid fluidly with a key. The hard part would be getting the two systems to play nice (lets say you free form to a place not on a grid line, then want to switch to grid but now your track has to shift back onto the grid someone)

I feel like it's the other way around, having the grid as default. and holding the button sounds tedious, it would be better for a button to switch between the 2, and an onscreen button you can click aswell, just so both players will know for sure that they can choose which one they want.

Top Bottom