On-foot exploration gameplay needed

Odyssey needs on foot exploration gameplay. Some may say it kind of exists right now with the biological scanning, but I would not call that on foot gameplay. You don’t do almost anything on foot. You just land right next to the plant, scan it, board ship and off to the next one. I never had to walk more than 50 meters away of the ship and definitely never had to to use my srv.

When Odyssey was announced I was mostly interested in the on-foot exploration especially when Frontier said there will be some survival mechanics to it. I was expecting to be able to leave my ship in space and board a destroyed outpost and investigate it, or to enter narrow canyons or caves on planets where you can’t go with the ship and being able to discover new life forms specific only for those areas, probably some dangerous too that need shooting at. The Artemis suit has a gun. To discover some ancient ruins on atmospheric planets that can be investigate only on foot.
Yes. Totally agree that would be a great addition and bring a lot to the table. My friends stopped playing odyssey a while back and due to time constraints so did I. Part of it is that a session in elite is like a 1-3 hrs thing. Vs what we are playing lately is Deep Rock and it’s just so much easier to play either 1 or 5 missions depending how much time you had. I want to come back to odyssey though. Especially by whatever comes in the fall.

Kinda easy to do too. Well... "EASY". I don't actually know how hard it would be to make this stuff but. Caves. Procedurally generate them. Add some fancy stuff you can find there.

Derelict ships, maybe goid ships.

Surface pois like goid stuff and guardian stuff.

There are easy ways to do this but Elite's team is like 30 people atm so we won't see anything like that.

Where does Frontier publish the size of active teams?
Nah I'm obviously picking that number out of nowhere. But they had 100 people for the expansion and the development has been so slow considering time vs content added that I am 100% sure the team has shrunk significantly. 30 to 50 I'd sat.

Out in the black.....

Space hulks

EVA to repair your ship

Wrecks on planet surfaces with lots of Mats and danger, namely on foot pirates or a ship nearby..even a couple of enemy scorpion srvs.

Deep space pirate colonys. Planetside and orbiting pirate outposts....hostile on approach.

Caves

Subnautica oceanic content hehe.

Lethal black holes and nebula that affects sensors etc.

Neutron stars much harder to negotiate a boosted jump.

Same with white dwarfs.

High G glides planetside, way more lethal IF glide angle too steep.

Living species on foot, like goids, guardians, bugs, flesh eating plants hehe.

Weather phenomenon on planetside. That affects flight.

More alien 👽 phenomena

I could go on for hours...bet there's far better stuff to be suggested.
Plugging grappling hook!

o7

Nah I'm obviously picking that number out of nowhere. But they had 100 people for the expansion and the development has been so slow considering time vs content added that I am 100% sure the team has shrunk significantly. 30 to 50 I'd sat.
I though half a dozen...

Maybe now, but that doesn't mean it has to stay that way.

It's their own GD proprietary engine for God's sake. Can't be done? Sure it can, there just has to be a need to do so. Caverns and caves non-existent on a planet?
eS5naWY.gif
Most of Earth's caves are the result of water action. We don't have liquid surfaces.
That leaves lava tubes and possibly ice caves assuming we have glaciers. Though even that might require melting.

Maybe now, but that doesn't mean it has to stay that way.

It's their own GD proprietary engine for God's sake. Can't be done? Sure it can, there just has to be a need to do so. Caverns and caves non-existent on a planet?
eS5naWY.gif
Well... they COULD make it a Fade2Black transition, like when exiting the ship (That Armstrong moment). Approach cave, Fade to Black and Armstrong-moment into a cave.

I just want biological scans to actually involve some level of skill/puzzle solving....rather than a mere point & click fest. I'd also like if some plant life posed a sort of situational hazard (direct or indirect) for the would be explorer. Also, geological exploration-particularly around volcanic sites-would pose an extra level of difficulty/danger.

Space Legs Guardian content
Space Legs Thargoid content
SRV Gurdians contetnt, there is no point in walking through the ruins of the guardians, except trying to entertain yourself. The game mechanics for on foot were not delivered to the ruins.
It's not even funny about the Targoids.

I just want biological scans to actually involve some level of skill/puzzle solving....rather than a mere point & click fest. I'd also like if some plant life posed a sort of situational hazard (direct or indirect) for the would be explorer. Also, geological exploration-particularly around volcanic sites-would pose an extra level of difficulty/danger.
Agreed. The money boost is a low hanging fruit to boost engagement. I'd prefer something more than "waving your space torch at a plant to embarrass it into giving you information", to paraphrase Frontier's own words.

Caverns and caves non-existent on a planet?

This is the closest thing i found (nope not caves, but still very weird)
The highest forms were like 1km tall or more, some of the holes were really deep, in some i could fit my DBX with room to spare, some had large rocks or geo features on their bottom (fumaroles etc)

Screenshot_0279.jpg
Screenshot_0280.jpg
Screenshot_0281.jpg

Procedural caves require voxel terrain. NMS has it, ED uses height maps instead.
What process is used to go inside a thargoid ground base? There's a fade out as you go in the door in your SRV, I'm assuming that's changing you to an inside instance. Am I reading that incorrectly? Couldn't the same process be used for a cave?

Top Bottom