DK2 and trading?

Even with it's faults I love my DK2. However with pre-release/gamma just around the corner it will probably return to its box. My initial strategy will be trading to generate cash so I can buy the ships/loadouts I would like. I have Slopeys excellent market tool and don't think I can use it with the DK2. Also IMHO some of ED's other screens are still a bit clunky with the DK2 (e.g. galaxy map / commodities etc), so in the short term I'll sadly return to my monitor.

I could be wrong and would be interested to hear if other traders plan to stay DK2 only or mix with their monitor maybe?

*This not a thread on whether market tools are a good or bad thing ;)

I mix it already, using DK2 for dogfighting mostly, so I will keep doing this :) Trading for me requires at least two screens, so even if they vastly improve the way Rift works in ED (which I don't think will happen this year - boy, I wish so badly that I'm wrong), I will still use flat screen for this.

BTW Mark I have a video summary of you boxing the DK2 back ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOW4QiOD-oc

Last edited:
sadly, trading in DK2 is not an option till some kind of in game browser and customizable displays would be added.

Too much external data to rely upon

I created a post about this (somewhat) in the beta bug/feedback sub-forums. The trading game simply relies on using out-of-game software/websites to do anything, unless you have super-human memorization abilities.

Even if they had an in-game web browser, that would help so much! I could create a local web server and sql database to connect to and use crystal reports to generate profit runs, market volatility, etc.. that would be functional within the game :\

I created a post about this (somewhat) in the beta bug/feedback sub-forums. The trading game simply relies on using out-of-game software/websites to do anything, unless you have super-human memorization abilities.

Even if they had an in-game web browser, that would help so much! I could create a local web server and sql database to connect to and use crystal reports to generate profit runs, market volatility, etc.. that would be functional within the game :\

Just bought the rift, still setting up. What is the issue with trading while using it? Also I can still have my normal 42inch LCD running in at the same time right?

Just bought the rift, still setting up. What is the issue with trading while using it? Also I can still have my normal 42inch LCD running in at the same time right?

you can take off oculus and headphones each and every time you want to look thing up, sure.
And put it on when you need to cross reference something in game, memorize, put it off again, enter data in excel, memorize the result, put it on .. remember the bloody result ....

You catch the drift?

Why would you put the DK2 away entirely because of trading? It is very easy to just have the trading website of your choice open on your secondary monitor and switch. I've done that for a while and I intend to continue doing that for trading. That way I can fly and enjoy the game much more while in the Rift (I find flight and docking entirely uninteresting in 2D on my monitor). When docked I just lift up the Rift, browse for the best wares to buy and then return to VR again. Works like a charm.

I agree an in-game browser would definitely rock for this kind of task, to remove the need to take off the Rift. But even so it is the much better compromise for me than sacrificing enjoyment and immersion for a slight increase in profitability. To each his (or her) own I guess...

I was very much hoping this would work on the rift :(

I've tried SteamVR but doesnt seem to work properly - the overlay.

I've tried just leaving virtual desktop up but when it switches to virtual desktop it screws up. hmmf

you can take off oculus and headphones each and every time you want to look thing up, sure.
And put it on when you need to cross reference something in game, memorize, put it off again, enter data in excel, memorize the result, put it on .. remember the bloody result ....

You catch the drift?

Well I've just started using it, I have a laptop here in front of me for trading and the forum. All I do is move the rift up like sunglasses, I don't actually see any issue with it. Am completely hands free reading the forum with the rift still sitting on my head lol

Last edited:
sadly, trading in DK2 is not an option till some kind of in game browser and customizable displays would be added.

Too much external data to rely upon

Hmm - probably not much compared to others, but I had no problems making 10 million credits mostly by trading in the rift. I don't use any external tools.

Don't cheat with the external tools!
Make a few notes on a notepad, refer to them occasionally by lifting the headset.

I do this for trading and plodding long routes

Don't cheat with the external tools!
Make a few notes on a notepad, refer to them occasionally by lifting the headset.

I do this for trading and plodding long routes

Actually, I just memorize supply, demand and prices for the goods I trade with in a couple of systems. Works well enough and is a nice mnemonic training exercise.

Not to be.. hateful, I guess, but the entire reason for even having the Rift is for the immersion factor. Sure, it has some benefits with tracking targets, but the main reason is the immersion factor.

If I have to take the headset off for any reason other than:

a) bio breaks (optional.. there are means around this :eek: )
b) someone breaking into my house

It ruins the entire experience and reason for even having a VR HMD. Thats why I input all of my trade routes into voice attack before I even start to play :[

The main issue is that the in-game trading tools are completely useless in their current state. At the moment, the game solely relies on 3rd party tools (excel, web-based route planners, a pen/paper, etc..)

Last edited:
I'm like Kirk, I don't try to memorise everything, just try to spot patterns and figure out routes. I doubt if I'm the most efficient trader on a credits per hour basis, but then again I'm not in a competition (at least not in my head). For me the Rift is just far too much of an immersion tool for me to sacrifice it for the min/max game.

I'm also confident that FD will incorporate trading tools over time, and that they'll be compatible with Rift use - rather like how they sorted out the System Maps.

I'm happily living in my cockpit. :)

Not to be.. hateful, I guess, but the entire reason for even having the Rift is for the immersion factor. Sure, it has some benefits with tracking targets, but the main reason is the immersion factor.

If I have to take the headset off for any reason other than:

a) bio breaks (optional.. there are means around this :eek: )
b) someone breaking into my house

It ruins the entire experience and reason for even having a VR HMD. Thats why I input all of my trade routes into voice attack before I even start to play :[

The main issue is that the in-game trading tools are completely useless in their current state. At the moment, the game solely relies on 3rd party tools (excel, web-based route planners, a pen/paper, etc..)

Good idea reagarding using voice attack for trade routes. To be honest I'm pretty boring when it comes to trading, made my millions by flying back and forth between 3 close systems. Had my route memorized by the 5th run

Lifting the Rift up does break immersion, but its not a dealbraker if you just want to check where to sel that cheap Bertrandite IMO. Problem stats once you move outside the starting systems, as I have done. The further away you get, the less usefull those tools become, as they rely on players to update the data. At my current location that data is more than 7 days old and my last starport was not even in the list. So yeah ... I've kinda had to stop doing that.

I actually made most of my money since by fulfilling the "Looking for XXX" type missions. Some of those can be very lucrative (I've had plenty worth >200k). And you only need to use the galaxy map to find your destinations for those. If they can make the galaxy and system map work perfectly in VR finally in Gamma, I'm a very happy camper.

Eve

Yea that's one of the things that's a bit annoying in Eve Online: If you want to do anything that's actually useful, like work out your build costs or your build-sell margins, you need to use out of game tools to do it. With respect to the rift, I've been playing E:D since the day I got mine which was last week. IDK if I want to play on monitor. I was trying to keep E:D a VR only experience.

With trading I do have to write some things down and then peek out of my headset to look at it. Actually this is quite an authentic Elite experience because we all used to write prices down when we were kids playing the original. :D

Well I've just started using it, I have a laptop here in front of me for trading and the forum. All I do is move the rift up like sunglasses, I don't actually see any issue with it. Am completely hands free reading the forum with the rift still sitting on my head lol

What about heaving headset ovet the DK2? What about that soft edging on DK? Wont it wear off that way; constantly sliding it on your forehead?

well. that taking off could be bearable for one is not wearing prescription glasses like me. No sliding it up.

That and headset and I too often end up in tangled cable mess.

Top Bottom