Planet Zoo: Arid Animal Pack Releasing 20 June 🐪

After seeing some of showcasing videos i have to say i'm pretty disappointed with the update itself:
  • I like the spitting animation but it is way too hard to trigger, and we don't know how (Barrier type, height?) Hope we'll know something about it in the patch notes tomorrow
  • Flexicolor staff is nice to have
  • The new camera mode is something i will never use
  • Love the new dry bushes
  • Bactrian Camel new variation is okay (I'll continue to use the fluffly remaster tho)
Speaking of the pack:
  • Porcupine, Dromedary, Wild Ass and the Black Rhino are amazing 10/10
  • Addax and Dama Gazelle impressive quality but i expected some color variations
  • Horned Viper is a classic exhibit animals, huge step backward and it's the only animal in the pack with no sign WHY?? (Hope will be added later like the Babirusa one)
  • The derpy face of the Sand Cat is a no from me, i'll wait for the remaster
Overall satisfied with the pack, i wish only for more interspecies bonus with the other animals already in the game, like Meerkats and Porcupine, Addax and the Gazelle with the other African hoofstock for a big African section.

Looking forward to the patch notes tomorrow! :cool:

Last edited:
Ummm... do you guys have real life proof for me that sandcats actually sound like barking dogs?
From the wildcat conservation website - "Sand Cats are solitary animals with a very low population, and make use of a loud mating call, much like the barking of a small dog. The loud barking, combined with excellent hearing, enables these cats to find each other over great distances. Other vocalizations include mewling, growling, spitting, hissing, screaming and purring much as in domestic cats. Grooming and defense behaviour is also similar to domestic felines."

A video is harder to come by but a video I found on Facebook shows off the dog like bark:

Source: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=314721576616311

I've watched a few videos now and OMG I really love this pack so much ❤️ All the animals are so well done ! I'm even warming up to the sand cat which is the only one I was not excited about. I mean, I still would have preferred something else but I have to say it's very cute.

I also have to say I'm super excited about the new bushes. I was already using the nitraria bush very often and it's so nice to get another version without the flowers. The new creosote bush is amazing. I'm also excited about the flexicolor staff and the spitting behavior. Have you seen the lama doing it? It's hilarious and so realistic. I love it so much hahaha.

I also really appreciate we got new color variation for the Bactrian camel.

And finally, there is a small thing I did not know I needed but am already in love with: the widget speed control. Thank you Frontier. That will be so useful for me who likes to place objects very precisely. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, look at Cesar Creates video).

So overall, I'm super excited for this update/DLC. The new camera modes I will probably never use but I adore everything else. Awesome job Frontier !

So black rhino got reskin treatment?
I was expecting this tbh.
I don't think so. As you can see in the picture it is covered in Mud, and dried mud makes all animals lighter in the game. Also it is natural for each animal to have several Colourmorphs. Black Rhino probably has both darker and lighter variants. By this I don't mean Mutations, which Leaf already said does not exist for Black Rhino.

I don't think so. As you can see in the picture it is covered in Mud, and dried mud makes all animals lighter in the game. Also it is natural for each animal to have several Colourmorphs. Black Rhino probably has both darker and lighter variants. By this I don't mean Mutations, which Leaf already said does not exist for Black Rhino.
Literally first thing i saw today at twitter.
1687201737265.png
1687202486946.png

Frontier just took white rhino and slapped new model. They did black rhino dirty.

I like the spitting animation but it is way too hard to trigger, and we don't know how (Barrier type, height?) Hope we'll know something about it in the patch notes tomorrow
I don't understand it either, according to the vids. Something about requiring a barrier? But they should be able to spit in walkthrough exhibits, regardless...at least the llama should, as the camels aren't walkthrough...
Flexicolor staff is nice to have
Yeah. I may use this more than I expect...
Love the new dry bushes
Fantastic for dry habitats...
Bactrian Camel new variation is okay (I'll continue to use the fluffly remaster tho)
Hopefully a proper remaster soon...
Porcupine, Dromedary, Wild Ass and the Black Rhino are amazing 10/10
We can all agree, man. Totally...
Addax and Dama Gazelle impressive quality but i expected some color variations
I did too, at least for the gazelle. Do they have any in real-life?
Horned Viper is a classic exhibit animals, huge step backward and it's the only animal in the pack with no sign WHY?? (Hope will be added later like the Babirusa one)
I don't agree, at least with the former. Bringing back a classic exhibit actually makes me happy. We need proper vivarium representation too, after all. I just wish we'd get multiple E and WE species per pack, or a full DLC/update revolved around them. About the sign, yeah, disappointed it doesn't have one, but maybe they'll add it in a patch or skip the 1.14 launch and go straight to 1.14.1, which'll fix some things, like the missing sign...
The derpy face of the Sand Cat is a no from me, i'll wait for the remaster
It doesn't seem so bad to me, especially compared to other animals, like the classic gray wolf or the HBB...
@Captain Callum I appreciate, thank you. I was searching on YT and there they sounded like cats, so this one was really confusing.
I love how Frontier couldn't decide on a cat or a dog, so they gave us both. We got this:
R.jpg

Mmm, can't wait to see how the new rhino compares next to the older ones; shame it doesn't get any enrichment, it is a common savannah hoofstock animal.

Then again, gemsboks remain with no enrichment after 3 and a half years...
Also:
folly-farm-adventure.jpg

_113171169_38d5a175-78a3-4212-95f0-0cd13b710dc7.jpg

EUXRVziXYAE2A5V.jpg

Meerkats deserve their Spiky friends!
It makes no sense for a north african animal to be enriched by a south african animal. You can house them together anyway, you don't actually need the extra 0.5% for the welfare bar.

Watching the youtuber videos today the black rhinos walk cycle is really rough, it's stiff and janky looking. So does the donkey's, it just looks odd. Plus the baby rhinos practically fold in half when they turn to either side and their walk cycle is weird looking too. Overall though I do like this pack and will still be getting it, but please Frontier fix some of those rigs (and not just for this pack). I know it's cheaper and easier to reuse premade ones but it noticeably impacts the quality of the animals.

I think they're talking about the spine.

Head of the rhino in game slopes from the hump downward, while irl neck seems to be somewhat shorter and head seems to be more in line with the spine.

The baby rhino in game has more of that posture.

Second thing seems to be animation, or lack of unique Black Rhino animations (movement, running)

However I feel like those are somewhat miniscule complaints. Going that road then there's plenty of animals that would need to be redone - if we talk posture and movement.

I feel like those little details don't take away from quality of how well Black Rhino is done

Edit: Reply to some earlier comments, I see new ones been posted while it took me to type this out

Watching content creators who showed off the animals ingame, Im loving the way they look, except the Black rhino looking more like a white one in posture, I really hope this can be fixed.
That and the adult sandcats face seems a little to big?
But the rhinos head is really botheringme, its otherwise fantastic, but its basicly a hybrid with a white now because of the headposition..

It makes no sense for a north african animal to be enriched by a south african animal. You can house them together anyway, you don't actually need the extra 0.5% for the welfare bar.
Animals that doesn't live the same places in the wild would be able to enrich each other in captivity. It is not like they would just ignore each other for that reason.
Plastic balls also don't appear naturally in animals wild habitats, yet they can enrich animals in captivity

But yes, Frontier tend to go for animals that share ranges in the wild for these bonuses, with exceptions. But that logic would work better for an educational bonus or something like that.

A lot of the matches in Planet Zoo are probably more a case of animals that are able to tolerate each other than they are animals that enrich each other.

Last edited:
Top Bottom