Planet Zoo: Barnyard Animal Pack | Announce

This is something i don't understand and i wanted to ask about since i know nothing about domestic breeds and stuff

But why is it important to keep certain breeds around? Is not like they play a role in the environment. Like if they disaapear is like a breeds of dog dissapearing. I don't see what impact does that have, not even for the agropecuarie industry. Like, is there any difference between one breed of sheep from another that makes them more important to be preserve?
It's a little bit like asking "why do we need museums". Old domestic breeds can be seen as museum pieces, if we are honest. Some breeds have a lot to tell about former living conditions. For example cows with very fat meat were prefered, because people needed calories to survive in hard times. Today we only want meat without any fat, because of over-abundance of food in the western world. Dietry decisions like veganism can only exist, because we got enough food and variety these days, while in earlier epochs meat was far more important to survive than a carot.

Other breeds, like the Husum Red Pied even functioned as a political statement, believe it or not, and were bred to express independence and rigidy.
Would a textbook do it instead of those breeds? Yeah. But people learn better when they use all their senses and animals are there to smell, touch and - yeah, even taste in some zoos. There are zoos where those farm animals are actually on the menue in the restaurant, so people can taste the difference.

The kind of angered opinions we have been reading since the announcement are 90% based on the assumption that this is the last DLC and is the worst ever last pack. This is very similar to the angered opinions that Eurasia pack got, because it may have been the last DLC, and so on. With every new content announce there are more angered posts here based on that assumption. It's an easy bet that the next DLC will receive even worse first reactions than this one.
But the ironic thing is we are getting more of these reactions because we are still getting new content. I recall people frustrated with the Twilight pack because it didn't have the devil or the fossa and that was out last chance to get them. The easy solution would be Frontier sharing some roadmap but we know that won't happen so we better manage our frustration in a less toxic way.
I have been craving for aquarium and aviary DLCs and for more exhibit animals, and farmyard is the area of the zoos I normally skip, but I am welcoming this pack (which is quite the opposite I wanted) because they always bring something useful to my gameplay, and I don't want to spoil anyone's thrill with the pack. And I won't say that domestic animals don't belong to zoos because that would be as false as saying that aquarium and aviary areas don't belong to zoos.

The kind of angered opinions we have been reading since the announcement are 90% based on the assumption that this is the last DLC and is the worst ever last pack. This is very similar to the angered opinions that Eurasia pack got, because it may have been the last DLC, and so on. With every new content announce there are more angered posts here based on that assumption. It's an easy bet that the next DLC will receive even worse first reactions than this one.
But the ironic thing is we are getting more of these reactions because we are still getting new content. I recall people frustrated with the Twilight pack because it didn't have the devil or the fossa and that was out last chance to get them. The easy solution would be Frontier sharing some roadmap but we know that won't happen so we better manage our frustration in a less toxic way.
I have been craving for aquarium and aviary DLCs and for more exhibit animals, and farmyard is the area of the zoos I normally skip, but I am welcoming this pack (which is quite the opposite I wanted) because they always bring something useful to my gameplay, and I don't want to spoil anyone's thrill with the pack. And I won't say that domestic animals don't belong to zoos because that would be as false as saying that aquarium and aviary areas don't belong to zoos.
i get what you saying an eurasian wasnt perfect but it would have been less bad than this as last pack, if this isnt in fact the last pack then the situation isnt as bad but this will probably always be the worst pack, im happy for the free update that seems great at least.

So question - after what animal are we happy to stop? Because first it was the Capybara, then the Devil, then the Wolverine, now the Coati.

If the last pack is LAm themed, will people really be satisfied with a complete roster? If we get the Coati, will people leave it there and be happy with end of support, or just find another animal that ‘simply MUST be added before support ends’.

This is a genuine question. Because I’m not sure I can see the negativity and the insisting and the doom-talk ending on this forum until everyone has every single niche need filled.

So question - after what animal are we happy to stop? Because first it was the Capybara, then the Devil, then the Wolverine, now the Coati.

If the last pack is LAm themed, will people really be satisfied with a complete roster? If we get the Coati, will people leave it there and be happy with end of support, or just find another animal that ‘simply MUST be added before support ends’.

This is a genuine question. Because I’m not sure I can see the negativity and the insisting and the doom-talk ending on this forum until everyone has every single niche need filled.
It's simply a never ending circle for those that need example animal, I was satisfied with the cougar in the north America pack and everything since has been a bonus for a largely complete game. The coati in example, is like the capybara. It's a fun addition to south America but it adds nothing meaningful to the game.

I can only answer for myself. Of course, I will never be happy per se with end of support. I have so many animals still on my wishlish, but realistically, most of them wont make it. I said it earlier, I will be happy with the roster once South America will have decent representation of habitat animals, which it at the current time does not have, especially compared to other continents.

Would I love more animals from other continents? YES, please! But like I said, if we recieved a Latin America animal pack that consisted of Coati, colourful SA bird like spoonbill or Ibis, Patagonian Mara, Tamandua, 2 monkeys and a Spectacled Bear, I would honestly be satisfied, even though I think it would be a shame to end the game without a duck, a pelican, small deer species etc.

The easy solution would be Frontier sharing some roadmap but we know that won't happen so we better manage our frustration in a less toxic way.
Amen! Expectation management from company side would go MILES here. Even saying "we have X DLCs planned and are excited for your reaction to them!" would do so much more than "we think you will still be happy with us" - though even that sentence was more communication than Frontier ever did before.
I think especially with this pack, that divides the community really based on the "last pack assumption", it would be much better recieved if it wasn't the last pack and if that was communicated. I'd even go as far as saying it would raise sales for this one.

There will always be tension in the community, because everyone is afraid to not get their favourite animals. But things like "we are not planning to work on flying birds", "we have no plans for aquariums", "we heard your request for animals from region X" would help a lot.

And even if it were the last pack, there are ways to frame it in a positive way. "This will be the last DLC and we understand some of you will be sad about it. We really enjoyed your reaction to new content and appreciate your support throughout the last 4 years. We still look forward to seeing your builds and screenshot and enjoyment of the game in the forums and our social channels and we hope you also will enjoy our upcomming games."

That's an easy question for me, as my threshold isn't a specific animal but if the game allows me to build a typical big zoo. That means some more exhibits for proper herp and bug houses, some way to build an aquarium with fish, and aviary mechanics for flying birds.
And we just got petting zoo mechanics and domestic animals allowing us to build proper farmyard areas, so I think this pack is a good step towards the completion of the game.

I'm still in a state of zen after the Oceania Pack. I think the game really needs to improve the state of South America but besides that I'd be satisfied with it ending at this point - it's part of why I'm so chill about this pack even if it may be the last (don't think it is, but if it is, so be it).

Needless to say though if the Tasmanian devil was still missing after all this time I would definitely not be happy with this lol, so I can understand why some people are so disgruntled about That One Animal they desperately want still not being in the game and being shelved for a bunch of farm animals.

It is Not a "We" question but a Personal one. I will never be satisfied to get new packs as there is still so much which could be brought in even besides birds, aquatics or monkeys. At the end it must make Sense for the company and as Long as this should be the case I hope we get further content
But I am Not so much into specific regions or groups. There are animals which I prefer but thats it. I will never be angry and would never let "ruin my day" by a Pack. It is just a game at the end.

I mean i will be happy if my corner of the world gets as good rep as the rest of the continents. As it stands now i wouldn't be happy with just the coati but yeah a LATAM DLC would do wonders to fix that a bit unless is a scenery pack and two of those animals are just spectacled bear and american flamingo which don't really cover the basics that are still missing. Coati, couple more new world monkeys and rhea are the last three important animals from SA that would make me say ok now we have fair rep in the game compared to say Oceania and Europe.

The mara is an absolut must have for me but i understand is more of a personal need that something that makes or breaks the southamerican rep (just like the spectacled bear) since the mara is only found in my country so is very important for my personal projects and wants but i wouldn't say the game's roster is bad if it we don't get it in a pack. Would be extremely nice addition to the game though, specially after this petting zoo update.

After that yeah everything else would feel like a treat for me.

But, that said i still think the game should get a duck, pelican and the baboon. And some other animals like the grey crowned crane and the ABB bear are just to iconic to be left out.

The truth is that many of us may not realise this, but Planet Zoo has defied expectations time after time after time.

It started out as another zoo game, with far more freedom and much more realism, but not intended for any of the detailed stuff we see today (as evidenced by things like the cartoonish base game lion and the change over time in resolution of new construction pieces and foliage). We can be grateful to the developers to actually respond to the needs of a very small minority of the player base that makes those crazy popular YouTube videos and is active on the forums.

When it comes to animal choice, we have also seen many developments. Sure, there's no flying birds and fish, but the game started with mostly the animals you'd see in traditional games. Not per se realistic choices when it comes to presence in zoos (HBB over meerkats, capybaras, pelicans etc.), but large species that the average person can easily recognise. The initial packs expanded on this by adding the missing iconic species (polar bear, jaguar, kangaroo, penguin) and introducing deep-diving.

It's from the second and third year of support that things got really advanced. We got smaller species - many of them from the wish-list - and smaller as well as more detailed items (take the decals from the Europe pack). To me this is where Planet Zoo really shifted from 'another more detailed zoo game' to a simulation of real zoos, with the only exception being that we still lack aviaries and fully aquatic species. It's also where we could realistically hope for animals like capybaras and Tasmanian devils.

Do I still miss species? Absolutely. For me, the baboon, coati and pelican are iconic zoo species. And until the recent announcement I thought a selection of petting zoo species was also severely lacking. However, if I look back at the game from its early development, I'm amazed at how far we've come. We've got 17 DLCs, which is more than any of us could've expected. Only in the most optimistic scenarios - even after two full years of support - could we expect to still receive something in 2024, yet here we are.

Of course there's still plenty of things to demand (especially generic zoo animals IMO), and even reasons to complain (yes, every pack came with one or two species that we won't use much). But while doing so, I think we can be a bit grateful for all the hard work that has already been put in this game for almost five years now, and admit that the game has come further than any of us could have seen coming back then.

Personnaly I would be very happy to have the LAm animals as we need them but it would still be an uncomplete zoo sim without aviaries and small aquariums.
In fact instead of all animals I'd rather have enough bases for the modding to fill the gaps missing.
However, the end of support would feel much better if I could build a complete latin/south american zone.

To answer the question I guess people will always be greedy and want more animals, and I guess it is normal. The more diverse the better will be the roster.

The truth is that many of us may not realise this, but Planet Zoo has defied expectations time after time after time.

It started out as another zoo game, with far more freedom and much more realism, but not intended for any of the detailed stuff we see today (as evidenced by things like the cartoonish base game lion and the change over time in resolution of new construction pieces and foliage). We can be grateful to the developers to actually respond to the needs of a very small minority of the player base that makes those crazy popular YouTube videos and is active on the forums.

I agree with all you said in your post except the realism part.
Planet Zoo has incredible animals model (for the DLC animals specially) but the animal behaviors are either missing or catastrophic. In zoo you don't see animals moving constantly and running all the time, they mostly settle. They are herding, eating grass, interacting together and laying down in shadow, not just moving and moving and moving.
You can't build realistic zoo without the aviaries, fish tanks and pet zoo (soon available).

Planet Zoo is a great building games with stunning animals and good looking foliages.
But definitely not a realistic zoo game.

Though I am very very happy the devs gave us the most complete zoo game roster (even if it stills lacks important animals) and specially that they kept working and improving the animals models.

A latin america animal pack with 8 animals, or if I can dream, a bigger last DLC with about 12 animals, could be the best realistic ending for planet zoo

Usual animal pack for LATAM:
  1. Coati
  2. Tamandua
  3. Ocelot
  4. Howler monkey
  5. Spider Monkey
  6. Mara
  7. Spectacled Bear
  8. Snake/lizard (Ex)
Dream version for LATAM ( animal pack + scenery dlc)
  1. Coati
  2. Tamandua
  3. Ocelot
  4. Howler monkey
  5. Spider Monkey
  6. Mara
  7. Spectacled Bear
  8. Rhea
  9. Deer/Tapir
  10. Bush dog
  11. Macaws (WTE)
  12. Toucans (WTE)

Last edited:

There will always be gaps and I can accept that at this point of the games development.
All I want is PZ to end with a BANG and not a PFFFF. And whatever that looks like, it includes exotic zoo animals, not farm animals, and a little bit of a bigger pack (say 10 animals +200 scenery pieces).

I'd much rather take an "animals around the world" pack, with a little bit aof a bias towards SA / LatAm. But I wouldn't be mad at a LatAm focus.

The only thing for me though that MUST be added before the game end at this point are the bloody remaining food and drink stalls from Planet Coaster! I can build a realistic german zoo without a Coati, but it's impossible without Bratwurst and Crépe. And oh gosh, we need more variety of foods and drinks by the sheer amount of stalls we have to build to satifsy guests. Give me variety, it can't be that hard, the signs and shops are all there and just need a graphic update!

Well, I mean today is when that Livestream is gonna happen, so that will be confirmation if we get future support or if the barnyard pack really is the last one.
Like y'all, I'm hoping for a couple more DLCs, and I really really want a 2nd SA pack, because it is annoying to use the same.SA animals every time. But there are also a handful of other species that would be nice. I'm not gonna even bring up why I want the ABB, but then we have a couple of other holes in the roster, like Old World monkeys (Indian, Southeast Asian, and African apart from baboons)
I'd even argue to say that we could use an alternate giraffe, to be honest. I've really only seen Masai giraffes in zoos

Top Bottom