David Braben Powerplay AMA - Part 2 - Live at 4PM BST

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Also there was mention that the pilots federation would sometimes open its doors to players of rank dangerous based on the blurb on the website. NO go? And will there ever be a slot for another commander per account as was initially promised or are we stuck with our original commanders forever short of a clear save??

Cheers for the hints so far.... Just in case I can sneak a question in:

With your 3x Elite rankings, 2x Faction rankings, 3x Faction standings and then relative position with each power, are there plans afoot to allow the decay in Elite ranking, demotion with the Navy so we don't all end up as Allied Admirals or Friendly Barons with no way back down if we're naughty (as extreme Allied/Hostile status tends to drift toward the middle in PP Beta).

Are there any plans for the ranks to mean anything other than "look at me, I've got a shiny badge and a Clipper?" and isn't it supposed to be hard to achieve/stay there?

Hi David, team.

Since it's AMA…

1. Credits transfer between players (station banking services?) — in scope at all?

2. Exploration: comets, supernovas, accretion disks — will these stellar constructs have their place in Elite's universe «soon™»? ;)

PS: Thank you for bringing back my childhood crush, I waited for Elite for so long, and now I can relax after full day at work. :D

Sincerely, your proud Kickstarter backer,
Marcin

Hi David,

What excites you most about the way the game has been played and developed since launch? What are you most excited about for its future?

Hi David,

Are there any plans at all to fill the gap for an end-game exploration vessel? Currently explorers mostly use the Asp, which is at best considered a mid-range ship price wise. Traders have their Anacondas, Bounty Hunters have their FDL's and pirates have their Pythons. But explorers are stuck with the Asp if they want to be viable.

Thanks for considering,

CMDR ATT.

Hello David,

Thank you for taking your busy schedule to answer questions for ED fans.

My question is:

Will there be any implementation of a webcam feed of the person you might want to hail? Have it show up in a hologram in the cockpit?

I was too lazy to read trough the thread, so sorry these were already asked.

1. Did the disappearance of the federal president have any connection of a certain unknown artifact? (*khm*Thargoids*khm*)

2. If a minor faction evetually rise up to power player status will your previous standing with them have any effect? Like a 100% friendly will give a headstart in merits or stuff.

3. Which one is your (the entire team's) generally favourite powerplay module?

David, any plans to add information fields for Commanders to put an affiliation with a Player Group and maybe even ship names? It would do a ton to help make the game feel more vibrant I think, and should be fairly simple. Obviously you'd want to make sure nothing objectionable was in the ship names, but otherwise they don't even need to be unique as they would be tied to the Commander name anyway.

David Braben

CEO & Founder
Frontier
FuzzySpider
The mechanics of powerplay, particularly the interface between player and power being an almost direct copy of the community goal model, gives the entire experience an MMO-guild type feel to the gameplay.

Is this MMO-style a new direction for Elite: Dangerous? Or will you be still focussing on the single player immersive experience, even if that single player is playing in a universe filled with other players?

Thank's very much to you and the FDev team for all of your efforts. One or two subjective niggles of mine aside the game is the one I've been waiting for for years and I'm totally enamoured with it.

We are supporting multiplayer and the solo experience. Community Goals are carrying on too.

Will variants of ships (e.g. Diamondback Scout vs. Explorer) be counted as several or one ship towards the 30 ship goal?

Merging my questions about ship diversity and progression:

Are there plans to make every class/size viable in different situations, or should we expect a "bigger is better" advancement in ships like it is right now in 1.2?

There seems to be a progression gap for those that are not into trading. For example, if you are primarily a bounty hunter, once you get to the Vulture it's incredibly hard to "farm" credits to reach the 70~90M mark for the next ship tier. Is Powerplay and/or the new mission overhaul going to address this? not only for bounty hunters, but for PvE pirates and explorers too. In other words, can you live/pay your bills by doing missions or similar things other than trading?

Any plans to provide better support for larger groups of players? Currently, large battles "that would have been" are ruined by instancing and the 4-player wing limit. A solution like a server-controlled instance (instead of a P2P one) for special circumstances perhaps?

Also, any plans for a player-controlled market where players can trade useful stuff (parts, resources, ships, etc.) with each other? Currently, the market only has goods that are of no use to players, and thus feel "fake" with no real value behind them.

Last edited:
Yes. There are two Diamondbacks. The Diamondback Explorer is the ship we showed in concept art back in April, and the Diamondback Scout is a cut-down cheaper ship made by Lakon for the Federal military.

Hello David : does it count for 1 ship or for 2 ships among the whole ships planned ?

Hello David!

Sandro said in an interview that Powerplay would give people the chance to feel like they were part of a team, but the current rewards structure of Powerplay actually pits team members against each other as ferociously as it does against the opposition. Will you look at making adjustments to the faction reward structure going forward to allow all faction members to have at least something from their efforts to aid their faction, as it would add a lot of immersive quality to Powerplay.

I'd also like to echo the cacophony of praise for the game overall so far. :D

Can you give us any insight into the possibility of a public (hopefully REST/JSON) API? Some of us are champing at the bit to add content/value to the game!

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom