UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
..But I feel like we should be looking with our eyes and not trying to "science the :):):):) out of this"

I think we are all looking - as to the over science ... We all have some rationale as to why we choose to look in one place or another. After all whats the point of being a (semi) rational animal - From my perspective - If it is a thargoind ship - it could be anywhere .... I like the UAs becaue they point to the Pleaides and give us a general area to search ( along with the many MB hints) - I like the barnacle lifeform approach because it offers a potential way to reduce the number of searchable planets. But ya that could all be wrong...

edit ... ya what Corlas said too :)

Last edited:
My favourite part about this thread is that there is NOTHING about barnacles in the OP, but it's all we are talking about.

Also more fun facts are that barnacles are generally found no deeper than 600m, so might only be found exclusively in craters? (also because barnacles don't need sunlight to grow)

I'm leaning towards cold planets.

3rd post down is DEDICATED to Barnacles! It's also in the thread name.

Last edited:
Thargoids are said to use organic technology, no?
This forms part of my theory about the UA's, Barnacles and 'Goids. Whether designed and manufactured by Thargoids, or naturally occurring and just exploited, the alloy that barnacles make is a Thargoid resource. Barnacles are barnacles in name only. They aren't barnacles really, I expect they just look like them. Very, very large Nebula element sucking barnacles. They are an organic factory.

Last edited:
Holey moley!!! has anyone checked out Obsidian Orbital's traffic report lately?

You thought you were in a starter system if you did!!!

:) This is awesome

I admit, the "crashed ship" theory is entirely valid and possible, but I think you see people picking up more on the "life" angle because if it's a lifeform, then that implies specific parameters that can be determined to narrow down a vast search field, whereas a crash could be literally anywhere, and so provides no extra focusing possibility. And at this point, focus is what people are craving.

Also possible it's a hybrid of the two theories. Maybe barnacles are more like living alien outposts; not "crashed", but more guided to a hospitable areas to serve as a local base of operations?

Thargoids are said to use organic technology, no? It could even be a crash, but a crash that was still guided to the most hospitable location to survive until they could be rescued.

Oh I completely agree. Focus and using our brains would be amazing. But I will go ahead and be the negative nancy here..

Did we use science to find the first UAs? or were they randomly scattered? Does it sound like something Frontier would do?

Oh God, imagine if they get the FPS module out early and they do the first encounter like this.

Hah! ...I mean "oh crap!"

They should add a life-sign scan to every salvaged escape pod brought on board:

THUMP thump....THUMP thump... (that one's healthy... that'll net me some healthy credits in ransom^h^h^h^H rescue fee)
Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep (gone past its best before date, only worth keeping for scrap value...)
WHOMPwhumwhumwhumWHOMPwhumwhumwhum... (what the flux is in my ship? I'll go look...... [looks behind seat, and se-

Yeah. Early in the comments I've seen people bring this up and it practically gets discarded so I'll see if I can't get it going more again..

The image we keep looking at from the trailer shows a SRV driving up to what to me appears to be a thargoid warship. Someone earlier did a comparison that showed it pretty obvious. My belief is that the "barnacles " are the glowing green pillars around it. What are they? Probably debris and/or contamination from the ship. Just like the UA does. They prbably contain meta-alloy the thargoids build their ships from. A lot of people keep basing their ideas off of the barnacles growing somewhere which I just don't think is the case.

More evidence? The patch notes talked about taking off from barnacles and crashed ship sites. MB has led us to think they spawn like the crashed anaconda.. so.. crashed thargoid ship makes sense right?

Of course I could be very wrong as well. But I feel like we should be looking with our eyes and not trying to "science the :):):):) out of this"

Large barnacles = alien enteties.

That is more or less all we know about them.

This should mean that they are living in some sence.

Thargoids used organic technology in their ships, but it was not of metalic nature.

It is fully possible that there is a connection with Targoid wreks, but they are not plain weeks. Something must have hapened for this to work.

Just had a thought.

We know barnacles are in the pleiades nebula and probably some others.
We know that there is a UA shell 135 - 150 ly around merope.

If the barnacles and UA are linked then it stands to reason we should find a similar UA shell around other nebula with barnacles. Maybe even the same kind of size if they are expanding at the same kind of rate and started at the same time.

Just have to choose the right other nebula to look at.

I checked Merope system for hidden objects. Both visibility and gravity. Both long range hundreds of thousands of Ls and short range around two stars. Nothing unknown found.

This forms part of my theory about the UA's, Barnacles and 'Goids. Whether designed and manufactured by Thargoids, or naturally occurring and just exploited, the alloy that barnacles make is a Thargoid resource. Barnacles are barnacles in name only. They aren't barnacles really, I expect they just look like them. Very, very large Nebula element sucking barnacles. They are an organic factory.

Exactly my thought as well. They were given the name Barnacle for a reason, and it wasn't nicknamed from a random person, but in the game. They're known to be related to the meta-alloys were hunting. If anything, you could say were hunting clams to claim pearls.

The assumption is they'll look somewhat like a Barnacle as well, with the strong, cone-like exterior and rough top. If anything, the description fits what I've found in most of the massive 1000km wide 'super craters' Ive seen:

1447802699_c93f564eb6.jpg

I'm not talking specifically about the shell, but also the pointing behavior. You can take the UA as far away as you want and it will point to Merope. If it was pointing to barnacles, then logic dictates that they would also point to other nebulae or other places in the Pleiades. Since we have confirmation that they can be in other nebulae, we have confirmation that the UA is not pointing to Merope because of the barnacles.

Related mysteries or multiple clues in the same mystery? Quite possibly. But the approach that UAs are pointing at Merope, so barnacles are in Merope has never been conclusive, and the evidence keeps stacking against it. It is far more likely that the UAs are pointing at and spawning around Merope for a different reason other than "EAT AT JOE'S, HERE BE BARNACLES".

We're using inductive reasoning and coming to different conclusions and that's okay, but none of the things you're pointing out preclude my hypothesis that UAs point at Merope because there is a barnacle somewhere in Merope. So, for instance, you could be right about UAs pointing to barnacle systems based on proximity OR it could be that UAs point to their "home" barnacle. That is, the UAs are barnacle sperm and always point to the system of the large barnacle that spawned them. So, a UA found in the Thor's Helmet Shell (which is a thing I have just made up for those not following closely) will always point to a star in Thor's Helmet. Same facts, different conclusion. I hope one of us will be proved right (or proved anything) sometime soon.

Large barnacles = alien enteties.

That is more or less all we know about them.

This should mean that they are living in some sence.

Thargoids used organic technology in their ships, but it was not of metalic nature.

It is fully possible that there is a connection with Targoid wreks, but they are not plain weeks. Something must have hapened for this to work.

I just made a long post on this that I think the forum ate.

However I was more pointing to the type of search criteria MB gave us. It leans more towards crashed ship in my mind. But if he gave us clues that were more biological in nature then it would probably be too much of a hint.

I just want us to find it so we can go science why it's there and what the next step is. Lol.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom