UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
lol so it it. xDDDDDDDD

Barnacles are in water, there is a UA SHELL around Merope, shells come from water, kappa.

You are a quick learner. The name 'Shell' is something we made up, not FD. This was partly because the UA has sea shell markings on the pods. 48 in total I think.

You are right about to much barnacle talk in here. One can hardly find a proper biscuit post anymore.

I've spent this evening scanning every body in Maia so I can refer to the data on system map without bothering other people.

I finally ended up at Maia B 1 C. I tried circling in orbital cruise at around 50km and minimum speed and just using my eyeballs in debug cam to see if there was anything "odd" that jumped out. No joy after about 40 minutes of looking around without direction.
So I decided to head to the North Pole of the planet and THAT'S where I found something interesting, NOT BARNACLES unfortunately.
I'm not saying this is anything to do with the UAs and Barnacles because it clearly isn't. I just thought you might be interested in seeing something I've not seen before.

Lights spotted near the North Pole from over 8km up.
9NkEjIr.jpg
It had a POI circle.
zYmR7V5.jpg
From over 800m and you can make out buildings.
Y5ECfX3.jpg
There were 2 hard turrets, 1 ordinary turret and 3 Guardian drones. After taking them out, I entered the area.
In the middle of the compund was a data point. When you got within 50m of it (able to target it), the red section rose up the pole and started transmitting. I data scanned it and it turned out to be an Empire data package. Incidentally the compound was owned by Ant Hill Mob.
7k8OHMO.jpg
The warehouse says "CRP-6 Contact Point". Contact with... what?
AbBOkfQ.jpg
A wide angle of most of the compound buildings. That's me parked on top of one of the warehouses.
FpQ3aGy.jpg
Another angle of the compound
zVxo1As.jpg
Finally exactly at the North Pole. This was a few hundred metres away from the compound.
bxDaHUW.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure that extrapolating earth barnacle biology to alien "barnacles" is very useful. Alien barnacles are...alien. They have an utterly different origin, zero relations, no shared evolutionary history with earth barnacles.

One are small filter-feeding crustaceans that live in the sea/intertidal zone on earth. The others are far larger alien beings that inhabit airless worlds exposed to the vacuum of space (and possibly produce cellular meta-alloys as part of their structure). So why should there be any parallels in their biology or behaviour?

I don't buy the filter-feeding on the nebula idea either. According to Wikipedia, the density of particles in a nebula is such that an area the size of the earth would contain several kilograms of mass. No, if alien barnacles need raw materials they'll be getting it from the planet they are attached to.

Last edited:
I finally ended up at Maia B 1 C. I tried circling in orbital cruise at around 50km and minimum speed and just using my eyeballs in debug cam to see if there was anything "odd" that jumped out. No joy after about 40 minutes of looking around without direction.

I think I've followed the same strategy. I've also found a similar POI, with the data scan tower, but nothing very far from usual.

Random things:

- UA's make whale sounds
- Barnacles grow on Whales
- Barnacles are not harmful or useful to whales
- Barncales grow where they never see the sun
- Barnacles grow on neglected ships under the water.
- Water isn't warm. Average ocean temperature is 14 degrees ?

kappa

Fun facts.

Terran barnacles are filter feeders.

MB said it was logical that the Elite barnacles would be found in Nebula, which theoretically would contain all the constituents a barnacle needs. Hence it is filter feeding on the nebula as the planet passes through said nebula.

Filter feeders on earth, like the barnacle, need to sit in a flow of potential food material. This is why they like rocks in tidal areas, the sides of ships and whales. Another filter feeder is the wood shrimp (I'm an aquarist, so I know all about these guys), which sits on the highest rock in a river waving its filters about to collect the particles from the flow, just like a barnacle.

Elite barnacles don't have ships, they have planets, which rapidly pass through the "particulate flow" of the nebula.

Is there a planet which moves through it more rapidly than the others?

The planet becomes the ship, or whale it uses as a feeding enabler.

I'm guessing there is a very specific goldilocks zone that satisfies the barnacles needs, in terms of maximum nebula flow, temperature, surface to live on.

We find this and we have less to sift through and more to work with and they can be routinely found after that.

Is there a version of Mitterand Hollow in the Pleiades? Super fast planets?

PS...I couldn't agree with you more Crushdepth, but based on MBs comments and the actual nickname given to the things, I'm trying to come up with a workable means to narrow the search. Occam's razor and all that jazz ;)

Last edited:
Yep, I turned off my music. So much false hope...

I've spent this evening scanning every body in Maia so I can refer to the data on system map without bothering other people.

So I decided to head to the North Pole of the planet and THAT'S where I found something interesting, NOT BARNACLES unfortunately.
I'm not saying this is anything to do with the UAs and Barnacles because it clearly isn't. I just thought you might be interested in seeing something I've not seen before.

Lights spotted near the North Pole from over 8km up.
It had a POI circle.
From over 800m and you can make out buildings.
There were 2 hard turrets, 1 ordinary turret and 3 Guardian drones. After taking them out, I entered the area.
In the middle of the compund was a data point. When you got within 50m of it (able to target it), the red section rose up the pole and started transmitting. I data scanned it and it turned out to be an Empire data package. Incidentally the compound was owned by Ant Hill Mob.
The warehouse says "CRP-6 Contact Point". Contact with... what?
A wide angle of most of the compound buildings. That's me parked on top of one of the warehouses.
Another angle of the compound
Finally exactly at the North Pole. This was a few hundred metres away from the compound.

CMDR Splat reported something similar earlier today on Merpoe 1B

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=222049&page=137&p=3404760&viewfull=1#post3404760

Nice pics!

Last edited:
You are a quick learner. The name 'Shell' is something we made up, not FD. This was partly because the UA has sea shell markings on the pods. 48 in total I think.

You are right about to much barnacle talk in here. One can hardly find a proper biscuit post anymore.

I know right? haha.

I will head to the Bubble Nebula after work, because bubbles are in water, and it required an unknown system permit before Horizons was released, and it's not that far away.

Is the BLEIA system still locked down?

Well there's a folder named POIscene_uknBarnicle in the game folder so I think it will be in a POI. Are there other POIs than the blue ones?

If you poke in the game folders, don't post it here. Mods delete posts like that and people don't like spoilers.

And yes, there are two types of POIs. permanent and temporary. Only the teporary gets a blue circle as far as I understand.

A couple fun screenshots from tonight's adventures so far.

First we have the view of Maia B 1 B, from Maia B 1 B A;

Maia B 1 B.png

Secondly, and more interestingly, this is my current view of Maia A 7, one of the planets I suspect for Barnacle habitation. Notice how the mist is making MOST of the sky impossible to see, excluding a couple of bright stars. This does look very similar to the sky in the trailer.

I genuinely believe Barnacles spawn in the mists of high-metal worlds.

Maia A 7.png

I'm going to explore these misty locations both visually and for POIs. That covers all bases. Still, to hell with this near-2.0g world in my Gunship. It's a damned elephant. Anacondas need not apply :p

No prob. I'm addicted to British panel shows, even though I only understand about half of what they're talking about.
The Mother-in-law joke is, I think, a uniquely British thing. As for the panel show thing, I don't think thats just you, I think most people don't get half of what's going on. Including the contestants!

I think we need to increase the odds by searching multiple nebulae after the tip that Michael gave us ,cause there might also be "some" placed in every single nebula in the game , but the fact that they are permanent makes the search a lot more harder

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom