UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Well I hope I spared some time to the people looking outside the POIs.

We have specifically been informed that they will indeed exist outside of the blue circle POI's. POI is a term used to denote anything of interest found on a planetary surface, even the fixed large shipwrecks are counted as POI's, and have been linked in terms of how they function in game with the Barnacles. They also happen to have no blue circle, they are only visible by eye. So please don't go telling people to only look in blue POI's or we may really never find any Barnacles.

Hi folks, I've been curious about this whole thing for some time, and I would like to somehow get involved, but seeing as this is an epic thread, I (and possibly other wanting to join the fun) would very much appreciate a mid-thread update - maybe just a pointer on what the latest 'thing' to be doing is - I see a lot of attention around Maia - is this a good place to start? And is there a link or a page number that saves this question derailing the thread? :)

Last edited:
Hi folks, I've been curious about this whole thing for some time, and I would like to somehow get involved, but seeing as this is an epic thread, I (and possibly other wanting to join the fun) would very much appreciate a mid-thread update - maybe just a pointer on what the latest 'thing' to be doing is - I see a lot of attention around Maia - is this a good place to start? And is there a link or a page number that saves this question derailing the thread? :)

The 2nd and 3rd post contain most of the information you'll need to get started! Maia is a good place to start for sure though :)

A good habit could be to read a Thread's Front Page ;)

Last edited:
If you poke in the game folders, don't post it here. Mods delete posts like that and people don't like spoilers.

And yes, there are two types of POIs. permanent and temporary. Only the teporary gets a blue circle as far as I understand.

We have specifically been informed that they will indeed exist outside of the blue circle POI's. POI is a term used to denote anything of interest found on a planetary surface, even the fixed large shipwrecks are counted as POI's, and have been linked in terms of how they function in game with the Barnacles. They also happen to have no blue circle, they are only visible by eye. So please don't go telling people to only look in blue POI's or we may really never find any Barnacles.

First of all, I'm sorry if this is considered to be a spoiler: I think we know that there are barnacles to be found. And I was asking, because for me POIs are only the blue ones, I had no reference about other POIs, I never found anything outside the blue ones. Secondly, if the names of the folders are so spoilery, maybe it's a way to let us know something, no? I think it would be quite easy for the developers to rename the folders ABCDE or afoacvej.

Last edited:
Done searching Merope 5 B on its dark side...4 hours almost and nearly pulverized my Python on some dark cliffs a couple of times...getting too tired. Need some sleep. Landing inside a massive crater in the dark zone and going to nap this one out. Good luck to the other CMDRs. Dont give up.

Over and out.-

I also tried going to coordinates 5,6 and looking around - at 180 degrees there was *almost* a star in the centre of the HUD but couldn't work it out, also nothing at the location of note.

Hello!

As a quick and brief update;

- Previously, Unknown Artifacts (UAs for short) were discovered pointing towards the star system 'Merope' in the Pleides nebula.
- To facilitate exploration, a station was built in Maia for explorers to have a safe place to refuel and repair
- With the launch of Horizons, the latest thing to hunt is the so-called 'Barnacle'. The Barnacle is named in a new in-game item, the 'Meta-Alloy', which is also yet to be discovered. We believe they are linked.

- Barnacles have been confirmed to be able to appear randomly in POIs, albeit those ones are VERY rare. They are known to appear in Nebulas and we have had Michael Brookes at Frontier confirm that a few have been placed by the developers in the Pleides Nebula.

Other than that, no hard evidence for where they are or what they are exists, so grab a ship and come join us in looking. If you don't find anything then there are some beautiful sights out here! Get your screenshot key ready :)

I think it is on merope 2d on the dark side of the moon. It looks from above like barnacles so you have to look out for somthing that looks like the following from above.

barnacle4.jpg

Hello!

As a quick and brief update;

- Previously, Unknown Artifacts (UAs for short) were discovered pointing towards the star system 'Merope' in the Pleides nebula.
- To facilitate exploration, a station was built in Maia for explorers to have a safe place to refuel and repair
- With the launch of Horizons, the latest thing to hunt is the so-called 'Barnacle'. The Barnacle is named in a new in-game item, the 'Meta-Alloy', which is also yet to be discovered. We believe they are linked.

- Barnacles have been confirmed to be able to appear randomly in POIs, albeit those ones are VERY rare. They are known to appear in Nebulas and we have had Michael Brookes at Frontier confirm that a few have been placed by the developers in the Pleides Nebula.

Other than that, no hard evidence for where they are or what they are exists, so grab a ship and come join us in looking. If you don't find anything then there are some beautiful sights out here! Get your screenshot key ready :)

Awesome, have some rep :D

First of all, I'm sorry if this is considered to be a spoiler: I think we know that there are barnacles to be found. And I was asking, because for me POIs are only the blue ones, I had no reference about other POIs, I never found anything outside the blue ones. Secondly, if the names of the folders are so spoilery, maybe it's a way to let us know something, no? I think it would be quite easy for the developers to rename the folders ABCDE or afoacvej.

From a programming/game designing standpoint naming your folders "ABCDE" is a prime way to completely mess everything up. When I was making mods for Kerbal Space Program I started off lazy with my folder names and very quickly discovered that I was putting everything in the wrong place, loosing folders and generally taking a lot longer about things than I should.
The fact is that looking through the folders is so immersion breaking and a lot of people here don't want to see it. I personally think you have every right to be looking through the folders and checking the names, they are folders on your computer, but some other people don't want that information shared with them is all :)
And lastly yes other types of POI are rare but if you look at one of Obsidian Ants videos about the crashed anaconda site you will see an example of a fixed POI. There is also a definition of each type of POI on one of the OP's :)

Others have found 'POI sites' outside the blue zones.
Earlier in the thread.

POI Zones
Some POI may appear as Blue Zones on the radar.
Some POI may not.

POI with the Blue Zones has been generally identified as 'Non-persistant'.
Graveyard (a single almost complete ship) and one type of Barnacles-sites are more of a permanent nature. There may be a random variant as well.
The Persistant 'Graveyard' does not appear on radar.

Barnacles may appear in both permanent & random POI's.
Whether it shows up in radar in any case, we have no evidence of either.

Last edited:

It's not a big deal, but the mods will delete post like that.
No (further) harm done, it's allready been posted several times.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom