UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
If it helps anyone - I'm trying to stay as low as possible, but going as fast as possible. I'm always on a constant incline but at least I'm traveling at 2.5km/s. Not sure if I'll see something appear fast enough, but certain cover a lot of distance quickly.
low-orbit-cruise.jpg
Spoler tags to take up less space.

Last edited:
You would think that meta-alloys wouldn't be that hard to find, given the mission to find one only lasts 6 days.

I imagine it'll turn out to be the same situation as the original UAs. Exceedingly rare to find until we hit this breakthrough. Then all of a sudden it becomes really easy to grab.

For all we know a single Barnacle could supply enough for a thousand commanders to complete the mission. Maybe the static placements, as we find them, will create a sight-seeing map for Explorers to go visit each one.

We were told to look 'in the nebula that contains the seven sisters'. So... In it, not around it.

If you read his quotes, I take it to include the region of space around the nebula. I've be checking all the stars that say Pleiades Sector on them.

07/01/2016, 11:58 AM

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Michael Brookes
Would you be interested in knowing a region of space that is likely to contain barnacles?

Michael

07/01/2016, 12:08 PM

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Michael Brookes
Nebulae are good places to look, especially the one with the seven sisters in it.

Michael

To all the British CMNDR's out there. You lost a legend this week. Can we call the first persistant Barnacle we find "Bowie"?

We ALL lost a legend this week. And yes, it's name should be Bowie. Now that I'm finally home from work and the family is taken care of, I believe I'm going to go scour the nebula while listening to Blackstar.

If it helps anyone - I'm trying to stay as low as possible, but going as fast as possible. I'm always on a constant incline but at least I'm traveling at 2.5km/s. Not sure if I'll see something appear fast enough, but certain cover a lot of distance quickly. Spoler tags to take up less space.

Problem is (at least for the RNG POIs) is that you can't see them that way.

Can anyone who has seen a persistent POI like a ship graveyard confirm that it is visible in OC? If not then you're wasting your time.

I think part of the problem is we are basing our assumptions on a trailer. Is possible that is just a clip made for the trailer, maybe they are found on the day side or on low G worlds, etc. Too much faith in the video, plus I really think we're missing a clue somewhere

No barnacles, but I did find a tiny blue POI, never seen that before.

Screenshot_0121.jpg

It was just a mining outpost, but I did not know they made 'em that small. That part of the moon was very cool. Lots of almost perfectly round holes in the craggy rock. If it was under sea, I would expect eels to live there. I would want to go back there at night and look for barnacles, except technically, it already was night. :(

If it helps anyone - I'm trying to stay as low as possible, but going as fast as possible. I'm always on a constant incline but at least I'm traveling at 2.5km/s. Not sure if I'll see something appear fast enough, but certain cover a lot of distance quickly. Spoler tags to take up less space.

Does anything spawn at all at this speed? I'm pretty sure that orbital flight is a different instance than Glide/normal mode.

Does anything spawn at all at this speed? I'm pretty sure that orbital flight is a different instance than Glide/normal mode.

The theory is that orbital cruise is the only way to cover enough ground and still have a chance. Maybe the persistant ones give some kind of indication - without that I don't think they'll be found unless you know where to go.

Honestly not sure. I know I have seen things at 10-12Km up, but i get the point about "space" being a different instance than "planet" - though you can see bases from space. The barnacles would need to be decently large. Without clues, I'm just trying to think "strategy" and covering the most distance in the least time. Blue POIs take forever - even with fly-bys.

Last edited:
Well, finally I managed to get to Merope and run around some of those moons with my SRV. Holy crap, these planets are pretty impressive!

Didn't find much except some occupied escape pods and, of course, some of that famous tea everyone has been talking about. I've been out of the game for a while, so I was surprised to see that even the escape pods where "legal salvage". Do I take it I'll be able to do something with them, other than sell them as slaves? I prefer not to do that (role playing and all that...). Has FD finally included a game mechanic that allows some form of rescue of the escape pod passengers, instead of the usual 3 options(*)?

Anyway, good fun. It's weird to see so many CMDRs scouring Merope, though. Last time I was there the place was empty, but of course that was before Horizons and the Great Barnacle Rush. Good to finally rejoin you all in the hunt!

(*)
  1. Welcome to your new life as a slave.
  2. Back to the vacuum with you!
  3. Pew pew!

Well, finally I managed to get to Merope and run around some of those moons with my SRV. Holy crap, these planets are pretty impressive!

Didn't find much except some occupied escape pods and, of course, some of that famous tea everyone has been talking about. I've been out of the game for a while, so I was surprised to see that even the escape pods where "legal salvage". Do I take it I'll be able to do something with them, other than sell them as slaves? I prefer not to do that (role playing and all that...). Has FD finally included a game mechanic that allows some form of rescue of the escape pod passengers, instead of the usual 3 options(*)?

Anyway, good fun. It's weird to see so many CMDRs scouring Merope, though. Last time I was there the place was empty, but of course that was before Horizons and the Great Barnacle Rush. Good to finally rejoin you all in the hunt!

(*)
  1. Welcome to your new life as a slave.
  2. Back to the vacuum with you!
  3. Pew pew!

Since it's not said that you sell them as slaves, I personally assume that the money you get for them is a reward for rescuing them and handing them over to the medical center of the station. Simply added to Commodities to make it easier.

We need Agent Scully and Mulder. This is so X-Files.

Or even better,

"There's a Starman Waiting in the skies, He'd really like to meet us but he thinks he'd blow our minds"

To all the British CMNDR's out there. You lost a legend this week. Can we call the first persistant Barnacle we find "Bowie"?

I think we should name an entire system/nebula/galaxy in his honour...

Didn't find much except some occupied escape pods and, of course, some of that famous tea everyone has been talking about. I've been out of the game for a while, so I was surprised to see that even the escape pods where "legal salvage". Do I take it I'll be able to do something with them, other than sell them as slaves? I prefer not to do that (role playing and all that...). Has FD finally included a game mechanic that allows some form of rescue of the escape pod passengers, instead of the usual 3 options(*

When i land on surface stations 50% of the time there is a rescue mission that ask for 1 or 2 escape pods. So i keep the pods with me and i complete those missions

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom