Quantum Drive in Elite

Only a valid "immersion" statement if you didn't use acceleration, otherwise it's functionally equivalent to faster drives.
Nonsense. Your view of what constitutes "immersion" is different from mine, that's all. Both are equally valid.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Time marches on in current ED too, so you clearly have no argument. Well, you clearly have no argument more substantial than anyone else who cries that their immersion is hurting.
Oh, give it a rest. Why so hostile? I'm not crying about my immersion, I merely made a statement about the different ways travel happens in a couple of Elite games and expressed a preference for the older method.

Lestat

Banned
Let say I am a Bounty Hunter or Pirate and this was added. How am I going to Interdict you? If you can see me and Jump to a system or station?

Bounty Hunter Oh look a Pirate. Dang it! they have a Quantum Drive.

Only a valid "immersion" statement if you didn't use acceleration, otherwise it's functionally equivalent to faster drives.

Nope. Certain missions were impossible in slower ships due to time restrictions, only small fast ships could make it.
It would be nice to see something similar in ED.

CMDR CTCParadox

That would be massive fun near the core :D Tricky to get the UI right for such corner cases, but I'd like it.

That's a good point, especially in a ship with long-range even regular space might be crowded.
Maybe a filter for range so you can aim for only the furthest stars, bonus points if it showed star type so you could very quickly plot a jump to a gas station.

CMDR CTCParadox

I have a hard time seeing how Micro Jumps would work in the way technology works in ED universe although I would LIKE to have it but I cant see how it would fit immersion wise.

And the systems with extreme ranges are rather few and far between.

I've recently played the Star Citizen Alpha, and I have to say that one of the parts I like most, is the ability to travel fast from one station to another, or from planet to moon, and so on, with the Quantum Drive. It makes a system feel bigger actually, since you get better close view of planets, and eliminates the boring travel from one point to another, leaving you with the fun parts.

This kind of system would be great in Elite as well, leaving you more time to actually do the things that interest you, like looking at planets, trading, and so on. Moving for hours and hours in the black space with only Suns to see, gets tiresome after a while.

For those of you who don't know, Quantum Drive is like the Frame Shift Drive, but instead of allowing only jumps between systems, it allows small jumps between stations, planets, moons, mission locations of which you know the coordinates of, and so on.

Many hope we will someday get the option to jump to other stars in the same system, or at least be able to select which star we want to jump to in the next.

Many hope we will someday get the option to jump to other stars in the same system, or at least be able to select which star we want to jump to in the next.

This would help in some situations where a station you would want to get to is really far away, true. But its not something similar to Quantum Drive, since it doesn't change the travel mechanic that much.

I have a hard time seeing how Micro Jumps would work in the way technology works in ED universe although I would LIKE to have it but I cant see how it would fit immersion wise.

And the systems with extreme ranges are rather few and far between.

There have already been some examples of what would be considered (very) micro-jumps.

WHowMlX.jpg

CMDR CTCParadox

We need the ability to jump between stars within a system. That's as far as it should go though. I don't support being able to initiate a micro-jump to wherever you want, just between stars in a system.

We need the ability to jump between stars within a system. That's as far as it should go though. I don't support being able to initiate a micro-jump to wherever you want, just between stars in a system.

Again, why? Most of the game doesn't require you to go there. Why do "we" (who is that "we" everyone keeps talking about? It sure isn't me.) "need" it? And again, that mythical "we" are asking to have a feature that "they [not we]" like and that doesn't really hurt "you" removed from the game.

Again, why? Most of the game doesn't require you to go there. Why do "we" (who is that "we" everyone keeps talking about? It sure isn't me.) "need" it? And again, that mythical "we" are asking to have a feature that "they [not we]" like and that doesn't really hurt "you" removed from the game.

Because those places are also part of the game and we should all be able to go there without too much of a hazzle.

(By the way, I think you're taking the use of "we" way too personally. I could also say "the game needs X feature". Noone is assuming to speak for everyone, it's just a way of speech.)

Anyway, even if such a feature is implemented, you're still free to supercruise to any location you want. Noone will be forcing you to micro-jump.

Because those places are also part of the game and we should all be able to go there without too much of a hazzle.
While I'm all for accessibility, no. Distance and time are core concepts of the game, and if there are places that you don't want to go because it doesn't fit your style of playing, then that's fine; however, asking to compromise the core game just because you can't be bothered to spend some time to reach a small amount of content that adds a lot to the game for a lot of people is not.

(By the way, I think you're taking the use of "we" way too personally. I could also say "the game needs X feature". Noone is assuming to speak for everyone, it's just a way of speech.)
More people should IMAO replace "we need" with "I want" and we'd be closer to the truth. Even better, "could you please".

Anyway, even if such a feature is implemented, you're still free to supercruise to any location you want. Noone will be forcing you to micro-jump.
That's, quite frankly, a stupid, short-sighted argument. Going somewhere can be an achievement, even if there is no badge attached to it. Look at emergent aspects like the Hutton Mug. Would that be a thing if you could just hit a button and go there in a few seconds? And while we're at it, could we please install a wormhole to SagA*? I mean, people could still jump there one hop at a time, but I just want to go over for breakfast, kthx.

While I'm all for accessibility, no. Distance and time are core concepts of the game, and if there are places that you don't want to go because it doesn't fit your style of playing, then that's fine; however, asking to compromise the core game just because you can't be bothered to spend some time to reach a small amount of content that adds a lot to the game for a lot of people is not.
I'd be fine with it if there was actually something to see on the way the far-away locations, but there is not. It's just empty space. Most of the time, I alt-tab out of the game while travelling to a station that is between a hundred Light-seconds away up to thousands. There is litterally nothing to do while travelling.

I think adding a micro-jump feature to the game would be something the average gamer would appreciate, so there would be less downtime where nothing happens, which can quickly lead to players getting tired of the game. Thus maybe it would help keeping more people playing the game in the long term.

More people should IMAO replace "we need" with "I want" and we'd be closer to the truth. Even better, "could you please".
Please don't try to dictate how people choose to formulate their sentences. It's also irrelevant and not very constructive.

That's, quite frankly, a stupid, short-sighted argument. Going somewhere can be an achievement, even if there is no badge attached to it. Look at emergent aspects like the Hutton Mug. Would that be a thing if you could just hit a button and go there in a few seconds? And while we're at it, could we please install a wormhole to SagA*? I mean, people could still jump there one hop at a time, but I just want to go over for breakfast, kthx.
You are completely blowing my suggestion, and the OP's suggestion, out of proportions. Talk about a useless argument. How is adding the ability to micro-jump between stars in-system have anything to do with adding a wormhole that transports you half-way across the galaxy?

We can already microjump.
The only issue is the arbitrary distinction the game makes between stars being close but different systems and distant but part of one binary/trinary (or more) system.

CMDR CTCParadox

Also, let me clarify why in-system jumps are more necessary than galaxy-wide wormholes... One of the biggest issues related to this is the fact that a lot of the time, when picking up a mission, you won't be able to know how far away the target station is from the target system's point of entry. Whereas, if you're travelling to the centre of the galaxy, you already know the approximate distance.

As the poster above points out as well, it doesn't make much sence, logically, the distinction the game makes between close stars that are not in the same system, and far-away stars that are in the same system.

I'd be fine with it if there was actually something to see on the way the far-away locations, but there is not. It's just empty space. Most of the time, I alt-tab out of the game while travelling to a station that is between a hundred Light-seconds away up to thousands. There is litterally nothing to do while travelling.
At this point, you're really saying that all the people who enjoy the travel can basically get screwed or artificially limit their use of readily available tools to put themselves at a huge disadvantage just so you can go somewhere you don't even want to go. Am I getting that right?

You are completely blowing my suggestion, and the OP's suggestion, out of proportions. Talk about a useless argument. How is adding the ability to micro-jump between stars in-system have anything to do with adding a wormhole that transports you half-way across the galaxy?
No, I'm really not. You're asking to shrink the game a lot, so why not just go all the way?

I've recently played the Star Citizen Alpha, and I have to say that one of the parts I like most, is the ability to travel fast from one station to another, or from planet to moon, and so on, with the Quantum Drive. It makes a system feel bigger actually, since you get better close view of planets, and eliminates the boring travel from one point to another, leaving you with the fun parts.

This kind of system would be great in Elite as well, leaving you more time to actually do the things that interest you, like looking at planets, trading, and so on. Moving for hours and hours in the black space with only Suns to see, gets tiresome after a while.

For those of you who don't know, Quantum Drive is like the Frame Shift Drive, but instead of allowing only jumps between systems, it allows small jumps between stations, planets, moons, mission locations of which you know the coordinates of, and so on.
I....don't follow...
Being able to quickly within seconds jump between a and b inside a system, makes the system feel bigger? Super cruise is what does that to me, Quantum Drive in Star Citizen, of which I am a backer, makes it feel small at least to me. I'd really prefer this not being a thing, or if it should be it should be a special costly thing, so you don't just jump between whatever more or less free of charge.

Maybe make it a synthesised process if it really had to exist.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Also, let me clarify why in-system jumps are more necessary than galaxy-wide wormholes... One of the biggest issues related to this is the fact that a lot of the time, when picking up a mission, you won't be able to know how far away the target station is from the target system's point of entry. Whereas, if you're travelling to the centre of the galaxy, you already know the approximate distance.

As the poster above points out as well, it doesn't make much sence, logically, the distinction the game makes between close stars that are not in the same system, and far-away stars that are in the same system.
this changes in 2.1, so yeah.....
I really really don't think travel time is a problem, in a lot of games, where there is no travel time, the game quickly becomes pointless at least to me, and I know others share this, there simply are people that find a game enriched by such things as travel where not much might happen, and then there are those that want to jump from action to action to action, though in my mind, that makes games shallow and short. And for that matter one of my worries with Star Citizen, if it keeps up like this, getting from a to b in the systems in it, might be something that's done in maybe an hour or two, which would be bad, but nothing has really revealed and SC alpha 2.1 is a _VERY_ limited amount of space.

Last edited:
I don't get the mentality some people have that we must have EITHER super-cruise or micro-jumping. Why not both?

Even though I often find supercruise to be an unncessary time-sink, I often enjoy it as well. I just travelled to Betelgeuse, and I really had a lot of fun cruising around that star and within that system, looking at the star from different distances and angles.

But why limit players to supercruise alone?

There's also the problem with missions (not knowing how far away an outpost is from the system's point of entry) that I mentioned above.

this changes in 2.1, so yeah.....
Really? I've been trying to gather as much information about 2.1 as possible, but could you tell me specifically what changes are happening in 2.1 in regards to the issue I raised in the post you quoted? I might have missed some things, so I'd be really interested in hearing about that. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom