UAs, Barnacles & other mysteries Thread 7 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Your last attempt (I'm at") had me almost believing; but every time you redo this the phrase changes significantly, so nope I no longer believe there is anything in this

Never said that. Always said "Find me a:" I think once at the beginning I said "Find me At" but wasn't sure of the last word. You're call bud.

Had a bit more of a mess with spectrogramming using my custom tool, this seems to be about as defined as I can get it:

http://rsln.net/random/combined-custom-2048.png
You can think of pure red as "noise" and blue->white as "signal". This is using NetSlayer & Co's audio and Nene's cleanup of Mhyre's recording. No post-processing has been applied aside from re-colouring the noise. As previously, a 1K 24dB high-pass filter has been applied to the audio before calculating the spectrogram.

I also made a quick animation from my sample-matched spectrograms of the NetSlayer audio so you can see the stable/variable parts:

http://rsln.net/random/data-anim.gif

That animation is very useful - well, at least I think it is, in terms of discerning between the noise and the actual stable signal. Good work!

Possible hint in official galnet post from 19th entitled:

Galactic news: Unknown Probe Breakthrough
There is an intriguing statement in the last sentence of the third paragraph namely:

"Following this announcement, Commander Rizal72's colleagues at the Canonn Interstellar Research Group began subjecting recordings of the sound to various tests. They soon discovered that the sound contained an encrypted image, which some have interpreted as a depiction of interstellar bodies."

I've just read on one Nasa related website that "interstellar" space officially begins outside the stars heliosphere so this might suggest that the specrtomogram is showing us something about Nebulae, seeing as they are the only interstellar bodies in game currently?

*narrows eyes*

Last edited:
  • Like (+1)
Reactions: ilo
When we rocketed the Voyagers in space, we made sure it had a Golden plate with all kinds of communication methods on it. Not one, no, many.

Why do we all assume this Picture, is only one form of communication? Maybe it are a lot of different kind of symbols, all meaning the same, in "their" known languages.

Fraid not. Its definitely a representation of an audio wave - at least to me. Earlier on there was much talk of the symbols meaning 2,3,4,1. It cannot be coincidence that the bottom |-- --| lie exactly on that frequency. As well as two whole sections being exactly 2.341 seconds in length.
This puzzle was designed and made for someone on a PC with access to sound software.

Dagnabbit frontier, hiding a sound wave in a picture made by a sound wave? Crazy!

When we rocketed the Voyagers in space, we made sure it had a Golden plate with all kinds of communication methods on it. Not one, no, many.

Why do we all assume this Picture, is only one form of communication? Maybe it are a lot of different kind of symbols, all meaning the same, in "their" known languages.

Someone with permissions to the Sol System should search for the Voyager Probes and look if there is something odd. I don't own the permission, sorry.

Someone with permissions to the Sol System should search for the Voyager Probes and look if there is something odd. I don't own the permission, sorry.

I can find them, any specific test you want to do? or just hanging around would do..

Had a bit more of a mess with spectrogramming using my custom tool, this seems to be about as defined as I can get it:

You can think of pure red as "noise" and blue->white as "signal". This is using NetSlayer & Co's audio and Nene's cleanup of Mhyre's recording. No post-processing has been applied aside from re-colouring the noise. As previously, a 1K 24dB high-pass filter has been applied to the audio before calculating the spectrogram.

I also made a quick animation from my sample-matched spectrograms of the NetSlayer audio so you can see the stable/variable parts:

Fantastic! The noise overlay seems to move a but. Is this just NetSlayer's? Could you overlay all the reasonably clean recordings?

I can find them, any specific test you want to do? or just hanging around would do..

Uff, my guess is, that the Unknown "Thing" we are searching atm maybe found the probes and found the disc in it. It took the information on it and made its usage from it. Maybe for example the hidden message we've found from the probe sound.

I don't know if you should test something, some other CMDR have an idea? Should ilo test something there? I just expect a broken probe or something like this, was the disc inside the Voyager Probe?
Anyway thank you for investing your time.

EDIT: BartV had an idea. Thanks for that.

Last edited:
Yup. At this point I'll remind everyone that before the first up was found, people who had been file diving were claiming ups would definitely be found on planetary surfaces based on what they found.

People here are also claiming that it's a HUD or that it's an overlay for the galactic map, or some sort of celestial coaster or that it relates to the formidable rift. Bad theories can come from your "morally collected" data as well.

Possible hint in official galnet post from 19th entitled:

Galactic news: Unknown Probe Breakthrough
There is an intriguing statement in the last sentence of the third paragraph namely:

"Following this announcement, Commander Rizal72's colleagues at the Canonn Interstellar Research Group began subjecting recordings of the sound to various tests. They soon discovered that the sound contained an encrypted image, which some have interpreted as a depiction of interstellar bodies."

I've just read on one Nasa related website that "interstellar" space officially begins outside the stars heliosphere so this might suggest that the specrtomogram is showing us something about Nebulae, seeing as they are the only interstellar bodies in game currently?

*narrows eyes*

Doubt it. considering some on cannon have actually thought of that. I think its merope 5C. Doubt it would be anything else.

I just wanted to say that the animation visualisation is fantastic!
That is exactly what I hoped someone with the skillset would do. Compare multiple recordings looking for congruent parts of the signal.

Centering on the graphic part of the image is also good because it shows that the "frames" move slightly while the image signal is steady. I'll be doing something similar with my own recordings later.

Please try to keep some of the finer detail if possible. I'm interested in the "glyphs" above the globe image...
ZenithUPSpectogram2.jpg

Uff, my guess is, that the Unknown "Thing" we are searching atm maybe found the probes and found the disc in it. It took the information on it and made its usage from it. Maybe for example the hidden message we've found from the probe sound.

I don't know if you should test something, some other CMDR have an idea? Should ilo test something there? I just expect a broken probe or something like this, was the disc inside the Voyager Probe?
Anyway thank you for investing your time.

EDIT: BartV had an idea. Thanks for that.

nice, I took his idea.

Is there anything else you can think of? I have an UA with me, no UP.

if you can work on a list I will perform all the tests in both probes.

It's exactly like a smelly colleague. We don't care if you roll around in excrement, just don't bring it in here. Feel free to dig around in the game files on your own, but to date I can't think of any new discovery gleaned from the game files.

Except a perfectly clean copy of the audio that shows that the variable noise is applied over the top? Perhaps a bit misleading on its own, but when viewed after the intake recordings it is brilliant.

Fraid not. Its definitely a representation of an audio wave - at least to me. Earlier on there was much talk of the symbols meaning 2,3,4,1. It cannot be coincidence that the bottom |-- --| lie exactly on that frequency. As well as two whole sections being exactly 2.341 seconds in length.
This puzzle was designed and made for someone on a PC with access to sound software.

How exactly do you know it's 2341Hz? Can you show something demonstrating it's exactly on 2341Hz and not, say 2400Hz? I am equally a little uneasy about the section lengths, although I certainly see one that's at least very close.

People here are also claiming that it's a HUD or that it's an overlay for the galactic map, or some sort of celestial coaster or that it relates to the formidable rift. Bad theories can come from your "morally collected" data as well.

There's no such thing as a bad theory...

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom