Rare commodity trading

Yesterday I did my first run of rare commodity trading, just to see how much profit it would bring. Running from the the Lave area to Lembava. Filled my Cobra to it's full capacity of 32 tons with Lavian Brandy, Azure milk, Pavonis ear grubs*, Leestian evil juice and Zaonce leathery eggs. Leaving me with over 1.5 million profit for just one hour of work. Of course, flying tourists around will offer more money. But rare commodities have no silly demands. ;) It was fun to make a tour picking up the goods and then transporting them at least 150ly to make a huge profit.

*Pavonis ear grubs were illicit cargo, so I had to look for a black market to sell them. Never thought I'd be a smuggler too.

It's a brilliant way to make money. You get to see lots of different systems, you get chased, you learn how to smuggle. It's great fun

It's a brilliant way to make money. You get to see lots of different systems, you get chased, you learn how to smuggle. It's great fun

Rare trading used to be the most natural way to earn money on non-combat ships early in the game. You don't need a lot of money nor cargo space for them, your financial risk is low and you are seeing a lot of places. It is how I earned my money for Python (both on PC and XB1). Starting with Python regular trade is more profitable.

I am not sure it is still the best way because there are many new jobs, ships and missions in the game now.

I've used this method to gain credits early on and just as importantly gain rep at stations! If you fancy using a station as a base dropping off a mil + worth of rares at a time helps speed that up :)

Even on my xbox profile I still enjoy rare trading especially the rare trade cg's! 😎

Somethings not quite right.

Bought 26 Delta Phoenicis palms and traveled 162LY

Sold at a loss of 14k credits

????

I don't ever recall having that happen before.

Yesterday I did my first run of rare commodity trading, just to see how much profit it would bring. Running from the the Lave area to Lembava. Filled my Cobra to it's full capacity of 32 tons with Lavian Brandy, Azure milk, Pavonis ear grubs*, Leestian evil juice and Zaonce leathery eggs. Leaving me with over 1.5 million profit for just one hour of work. Of course, flying tourists around will offer more money. But rare commodities have no silly demands. ;) It was fun to make a tour picking up the goods and then transporting them at least 150ly to make a huge profit.

*Pavonis ear grubs were illicit cargo, so I had to look for a black market to sell them. Never thought I'd be a smuggler too.

Where did you sell your cargo?

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator

Yeh I need to try doing this, I bookmarked a thread in the Xbox forum ages and ages ago as not I am not sure which ship to try this in when I get back from GDO. I have a choice of Cobra, AspX, T6 which would probably all do it. What do you guys think?

It is on xbox, is it not on ps4? Delivering one million worth of rares off the top of my head.

It is I think, 250k I believe.

Yeh I need to try doing this, I bookmarked a thread in the Xbox forum ages and ages ago as not I am not sure which ship to try this in when I get back from GDO. I have a choice of Cobra, AspX, T6 which would probably all do it. What do you guys think?

Any reasonable loop will easily fill a T6, depends how many stops you want to make.

It is I think, 250k I believe.

Its a good way to earn credits, gain local rep and a nice change of pace if you've been grinding out cg's and passenger missions. Any of those ships are fine although the chances of being interdicted are high so be prepared to submit and boost or turn and fight!

I tend to make my own loops but this is a handy guide!

ZPwezow.jpg

T-6 would be my preferred ship. Should give you just over 100T of cargo racks (depending on whether you run with a shield). Flies pretty well for a box with thrusters and you get a great view from the cockpit. Yes you could fit slightly more cargo in your AspX, but the rebuy is considerably more, depending on which mode you do this in. I personally prefer doing missions in the ships that seem appropriate rather than just on the numbers.

I think you're seen the 'Eddie Stobart'…

eddie%20stobart.jpg

Last edited:

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
T-6 would be my preferred ship. Should give you just over 100T of cargo racks (depending on whether you run with a shield). Flies pretty well for a box with thrusters and you get a great view from the cockpit. Yes you could fit slightly more cargo in your AspX, but the rebuy is considerably more, depending on which mode you do this in. I personally prefer doing missions in the ships that seem appropriate rather than just on the numbers.

I think you're seen the 'Eddie Stobart'…

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/234936/eddie stobart.jpg

Do you fit a fuel scoop? Yeh, the AspX might fit a bit more cargo wise. I can't remember if you ran with a shield on your T6? Size?

Do you fit a fuel scoop? Yeh, the AspX might fit a bit more cargo wise. I can't remember if you ran with a shield on your T6? Size?

No I didn't fit a fuel scoop. The run itself is obviously station to station so there are ample fuel stops. I used the run Mr Fad posted, so all the stops on there are obviously places you can refuel as well when you are making up the distance. I think I went with a class 3 shield, it's the lowest you can get away with for the T6 and I didn't want to lose too much cargo space. I might even be tempted to run without one now, as I find interdictions trivial to avoid and landing pretty easy and I put my 4A thrusters in there to make boosing away from any trouble that bit easier. The only issue would be if there are PvP pirates in the rares zone by now...

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
No I didn't fit a fuel scoop. The run itself is obviously station to station so there are ample fuel stops. I used the run Mr Fad posted, so all the stops on there are obviously places you can refuel as well when you are making up the distance. I think I went with a class 3 shield, it's the lowest you can get away with for the T6 and I didn't want to lose too much cargo space. I might even be tempted to run without one now, as I find interdictions trivial to avoid and landing pretty easy and I put my 4A thrusters in there to make boosing away from any trouble that bit easier. The only issue would be if there are PvP pirates in the rares zone by now...

Yeh I definitely want to give it a go, and will do to start with in Open and see how it goes. Might use your T6 fit or the AspX as I can squeeze a few more tones and still fit a shield, hopefully a shield and some defensive aids will be enough.

Yeh I definitely want to give it a go, and will do to start with in Open and see how it goes. Might use your T6 fit or the AspX as I can squeeze a few more tones and still fit a shield, hopefully a shield and some defensive aids will be enough.

Only reason not to use your Asp would be the 'bother' of swapping your modules out =]

StormyUk, I recommend never flying a Rare trading route without a fuel scoop. The main profit in Rare trading is from selling it a long way from it's original source.

Unless you want to make regular use of the Fuel Rats, a fuel scoop will allow you to jump between stars without having to worry about the interim stops at stations to refuel. A number of these runs / routes hit station-less stars and the risk (in my opinion) isn't worth it.

Refuel whenever you hit a scoopable star and you wont go wrong.

StormyUk, I recommend never flying a Rare trading route without a fuel scoop. The main profit in Rare trading is from selling it a long way from it's original source.

I appreciate what you are saying, but these are very well researched runs with ample stops along the way. The whole point is to maximise profits and filling a slot with a scoop means you can't do this. Just stick to the established routes, filll up appropriately and you'll be fine.

Top Bottom