Getting the Best DK2/CV1/Vive VR Experience: Guide/Compendium

CMDR CHIGGYVONRICHTHOFEN5 is my gamer tag on the computer, like I said I have just started gaming on a computer it is an MSI Apache Pro with a Geforce GTX 1060 3 GIG memory, 16 GIG DDR4, Intel Core(tm) 7-6700hq @ 2.60 GHz. I know this is not the best by any means but should this provide a good VR experience? The issue is that I am not sure what to tweak, should I keep my virus scan running or should I shut programs down for playing on the VR. If I should would someone give me advice on how to do this.

Also do I start the EDprofiler and make the setting and start ED from within the profiler or leave the EDprofiler open and start ED?

I am sorry for all the questions the more I game on it the better I should become with using/setting the computer.

Thank you for any help...

Tim

Last edited:
Ok I finally got he profiler to work for me I could use it once and then when I tried to open to set a different profile it would not open, that being said do when I try to open ED from the profiler it will not open I get a warning that the program should be opened by another program or it will not work correctly.

How do I fix that issue?
Should I use the debug tool along with the profiler?
does the profiler have to be open for it to work?

I am sorry for asking so many questions that seem so simple minded I am really wanting to enjoy the vr but right now to much jitter when using.

Thanks for any help...

Tim

Process Affinity makes a smoother VR experience

Hey all- I stumbled across a nifty Oculus tweak, related to general smoothness. This is not going to improve your FPS or help out in RES (I don't think) - but for me it seems to have removed a minor but very visible annoyance: random minor hesitations/stutters. I'm curious to see if anyone else can give it a try to see if it improves the experience.

OK... Little backstory: As you may know, the Oculus runtime has been getting updates related to room tracking with multiple sensors. The current non-beta (1.13) seems to have introduced some rather bad bugs, apparently related to those of us using only 1 tracking sensor. See:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...ate-anyone-having-tracking-problems?p=5339689
https://forums.oculus.com/vip/discussion/comment/512105

The Oculus tracking problems seemed to be related to high CPU usage.
So... I tried to use process affinity to pin the Oculus runtime to 2 cores, and the ED client to my other 6 cores.
And BINGO! Tracking issues gone!

But THEN I noticed that the entire VR experience seemed noticeably smoother - like magic!

Ok - so now it's your turn... Anyone want to give it a try to see what happens?

I pin
- OVRServer_x64.exe to cores 7-8
- EliteDangerous64.exe to cores 1-6.

You can either:
1) Use a program like process explorer (or others) to manually set the process affinity after launching ED
2) I wrote a little Autohotkey script to set it for me:

Code:
#NoEnv
#SingleInstance force

SetTitleMatchMode RegEx
DetectHiddenWindows On

If 1 = exit                                   ; Allow command-line to close the script:  Run, %A_AhkPath% "Elite Affinity.ahk" exit
  ExitApp

SetAffinity( name, mask ) { ; CPU is a bitmask
  Process, Exist, %name%
  hPr := DllCall( "OpenProcess", Int, 1536, Int, 0, Int, ErrorLevel )  
  DllCall( "GetProcessAffinityMask", Int, hPr, IntP, PAM, IntP, SAM )
  DllCall( "SetProcessAffinityMask", Int, hPr, Int, mask )
  DllCall( "CloseHandle", Int, hPr )
}

Loop {
  WinWait ahk_exe EliteDangerous64.exe
  SetAffinity( "OVRServer_x64.exe", 192 )
  SetAffinity( "EliteDangerous64.exe", 63 )
  WinWaitClose
}

Last edited:
Great work RKODEY - I had seen you post this elsewhere and on the Oculus Forum only it looked too complex for me to alter until I found it in TASK MANAGER>DETAILS Tab by Right-Clicking. There's now a process called OculusVR which I never seen before today's update. It was this plus the OVRServer_64 on cores 7&8 and ED64 on 1-6 which removed the issue completely for me and with the same number of cores.

You should post this as a new thread. I feel this is your eureka moment to share! Now if only OCULUS would code this into the Runtime huh. I;m still lost how to use the autohotkey method. Could you elaborate in laymans please.

Last edited:
Firstly, I love this app, it does make things very easy to fiddle with in Elite.

I have a tiny suggestion, to perhaps look into adding an in-game display to show a couple of settings and FPS - no idea how easy that is as VR overlay coding is nothing I've ever attempted :p

Donated :)

Firstly, I love this app, it does make things very easy to fiddle with in Elite.

I have a tiny suggestion, to perhaps look into adding an in-game display to show a couple of settings and FPS - no idea how easy that is as VR overlay coding is nothing I've ever attempted :p

Donated :)

Haven't tried it but I've got a funny feeling that the Oculus Tray Tool can display in-HMD FPS.

Hey all- I stumbled across a nifty Oculus tweak, related to general smoothness. This is not going to improve your FPS or help out in RES (I don't think) - but for me it seems to have removed a minor but very visible annoyance: random minor hesitations/stutters. I'm curious to see if anyone else can give it a try to see if it improves the experience.

OK... Little backstory: As you may know, the Oculus runtime has been getting updates related to room tracking with multiple sensors. The current non-beta (1.13) seems to have introduced some rather bad bugs, apparently related to those of us using only 1 tracking sensor. See:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...ate-anyone-having-tracking-problems?p=5339689
https://forums.oculus.com/vip/discussion/comment/512105

The Oculus tracking problems seemed to be related to high CPU usage.
So... I tried to use process affinity to pin the Oculus runtime to 2 cores, and the ED client to my other 6 cores.
And BINGO! Tracking issues gone!

But THEN I noticed that the entire VR experience seemed noticeably smoother - like magic!

Ok - so now it's your turn... Anyone want to give it a try to see what happens?

I pin
- OVRServer_x64.exe to cores 7-8
- EliteDangerous64.exe to cores 1-6.

You can either:
1) Use a program like process explorer (or others) to manually set the process affinity after launching ED
2) I wrote a little Autohotkey script to set it for me:

Code:
#NoEnv
#SingleInstance force

SetTitleMatchMode RegEx
DetectHiddenWindows On

If 1 = exit                                   ; Allow command-line to close the script:  Run, %A_AhkPath% "Elite Affinity.ahk" exit
  ExitApp

SetAffinity( name, mask ) { ; CPU is a bitmask
  Process, Exist, %name%
  hPr := DllCall( "OpenProcess", Int, 1536, Int, 0, Int, ErrorLevel )  
  DllCall( "GetProcessAffinityMask", Int, hPr, IntP, PAM, IntP, SAM )
  DllCall( "SetProcessAffinityMask", Int, hPr, Int, mask )
  DllCall( "CloseHandle", Int, hPr )
}

Loop {
  WinWait ahk_exe EliteDangerous64.exe
  SetAffinity( "OVRServer_x64.exe", 192 )
  SetAffinity( "EliteDangerous64.exe", 63 )
  WinWaitClose
}

I have a very early 8 core CPU which is at its limit in VR so I'll definitely give this a try. Right now the game runs ok but there are definitely stutters and skipping on planets and in stations.

Last edited:
Using V does indeed add an FPS counter in game (same as Elite - press CTRL+F). I DO wish there was a way of disabling the circle activation zone tho, I look down while flying and forget it's threre.. then the menu appears, controls are frozen and I spin around wildly... MOST irritating!

Dr Kaii,

Have you heard anything about the new VIULUX V1 2K Headset 110 FOV headset? How does it compare to PiMax 4K? How does it compare to Oculus Rift?

Just wondering about which to use with ED.

Having just setup my Rift 2 days ago, and reading through tis post, my eyes and brain hurt. I'm wondering how much of this is still relevant?

Do we really have to change pixel density in the debug tool or Oculus tray tool for better quality. Or can we just set it in game via hmd image quality and supersampling. I mean does it make a difference?

Do we really have to change pixel density in the debug tool or Oculus tray tool for better quality. Or can we just set it in game via hmd image quality and supersampling. I mean does it make a difference?

HMD Image Quality is fine, they are the same thing

First of all I would like to say many thanks to you Dr. Kaii many many thanks. I have been using your Ed profiler for quite some time now it is a truly amazing tool. I just recently purchased my cv1 and this thread and your recent information has helped me tremendously. The 2.4 update has also helped my experience greatly. Although I do believe they have more work cut out for them particularly in the stations where stuff is jumping and bumping around all over the place if you zoom in on it. I don't think that's good for frame rates and also makes the aliasing really pop.

I finally settled on these settings. 2.5 supersampling ASW mode set to auto and CPU priority set too high in the Oculus Tray Tool. My in-game settings are set to everything ultra with ao, bloom and blur set to off. Ingame hmd image quality 1.25 in game supersampling 7.5 and fxaa. Fxaa in my opinion gave me the best results. With those settings I'm getting 90 FPS in stations with an occasional drop depending on where you look

Again thank you Dr. Kali.

Last edited:
Thanks. But you are either lying or you are using a NASA supercomputer, amirite?

What would I gain from lying. And no its not a NASA supercomputer.

7700k @ 5ghz
1080ti @ 2025mhz gpu 5508mhz memory clock
2 x 500gb 960evo one for os one for gaming
32 ddr4 ram @ 3000mhz

In what way would you have me prove it? I have not made any tweaks to the graphicsconfiguration.xml

Last edited:
Top Bottom