Community Event / Creation Speed Bowl Championships - ANNOUNCEMENT

Oh lol, how wrong I was

My theory still stands - get the heaviest ship possible where you can get your mass to the minimum mass of your thruster configuration. And at least the initial 1000 - 1500 m/s require boost to achieve as quickly as possible. The sooner you get fast, the faster you'll be at the end.

Oh, and....

EDSM has created special badges for participation and shiny medals for the podium!

...Engineering week update, Day 1:

Sidewinder data plot shows good descent until around 100km then speed increase slows as planet gets too close...

This was FA/Off, boosting, full vertical thrust upwards, and steady flight at about -4 degrees

Dbf6UpZWAAAAbZs.jpg

Need to hit 7000m/s sooner...

Never done a Buckyball/race thingy before. Thought I'd have a looksie, 6670ms in my Cobra (unengineered, carrying Tea). It was absolutely nothing like I expected, stuck for 40km at 505ms until I decided I was doing it wrong and should start again, and thats when the fun started. Big thanks to you all for posting these things! I may try again during the weekend, although appreciate it wont trouble the scorers; it sure is a blast!

VBrccM2
xPTUb9o.jpg
here we go...

Sunday drivers...
gby2DRi.jpg

Woooooaaahhh and handbrake
syCVk8Z.jpg

Never done a Buckyball/race thingy before. Thought I'd have a looksie, 6670ms in my Cobra (unengineered, carrying Tea). It was absolutely nothing like I expected, stuck for 40km at 505ms until I decided I was doing it wrong and should start again, and thats when the fun started. Big thanks to you all for posting these things! I may try again during the weekend, although appreciate it wont trouble the scorers; it sure is a blast!

here we go...

Sunday drivers...

Woooooaaahhh and handbrake

That is actually a very good attempt!

I'd say, definitely come back for the weekend - if you now know what to do from the start, this is a podium contender. Keep in mind that Halo Jones (cmdr_over) and I are ineligible for official podium / prizes. And even current record holder Sanderling might choke when it counts!

By the way, I'm nibbling away at 8 k/s. My last attempt for the time being clocked at 7878 m/s. I'm now off to have a couple of unlikely ships transferred to New Growth, most of them with multicrew in case anyone wants a ride. ;)

I would love to, as I'm currently ~64k ly away from the bubble :D

Well, you can break TWO speed records in one go, then! Fastest 64kly there and back again, AND fastest planetary approach. :D

Seriously, though, I know that CMDR HaloJones is shipping his Anaconda there, I have my Keelback with SLF as well as some other ships, at least one CMDR is flying a Cutter.... we'll get you sorted into a co-pilot seat!

I know that CMDR HaloJones is shipping his Anaconda there

Ah yes. The Black Pig. Current boost speed clocked at 300 m/s.

When the rules state you must show 0 m/s at the end of the run, it does not say you have to be in the same solar system does it?

Might be the only way to escape gravity in this tub...

Ah yes. The Black Pig. Current boost speed clocked at 300 m/s.

When the rules state you must show 0 m/s at the end of the run, it does not say you have to be in the same solar system does it?

Might be the only way to escape gravity in this tub...

I was about to comment "my SRV boosts faster than that", when I got distracted by the thought "Well, what IS the speed record for SRVs, anyway?".

Does anyone have experience with carrying SRVs to, I don't know, 500km altitude? ......... asking for a friend ........

I was about to comment "my SRV boosts faster than that", when I got distracted by the thought "Well, what IS the speed record for SRVs, anyway?".

1300m/s?

[video=youtube_share;-3lqEUbQY48]https://youtu.be/-3lqEUbQY48[/video]

Does anyone have experience with carrying SRVs to, I don't know, 500km altitude? ......... asking for a friend ........

Well, the guys who rescued Bomba Luigi got pretty good at it!

Help-I-need-Ship-Rats!

Important update!

We will be updating the main post shortly, but in order to ping all contestants and audience members, here is the news of the day.

Remember how the event announcement said "prizes are platform PC only"? Remember how sad you were because you're on PS4 or XBox?

Be sad no more!

Frontier has offered to provide the prizes (one item from the store of varying value according to podium finish) for ALL platforms.

This means, dear Xbox and Playstation CMDRs, you can now compete properly in the official competition and receive more than just bragging rights! Get your ships into gear, head out to the engineer of your choice, make the journey out to Chi Hydrae and start hurling yourself at the ground and miss!

I'm sooo in for this! Shipping my Viper and iEagle out there now, although logistics may make it quiet difficult to get the Viper out to the 'target' zone as it has the jump range of a small herring! Having said that, the iEagle is much cooler and has the potential of making a much more refined crater :p

Test results to follow :)

I'm sooo in for this! Shipping my Viper and iEagle out there now, although logistics may make it quiet difficult to get the Viper out to the 'target' zone as it has the jump range of a small herring! Having said that, the iEagle is much cooler and has the potential of making a much more refined crater :p

Test results to follow :)

Please let us know how the testing goes. There's currently an Anaconda-shaped ...indentation... in the ground. :O

Also, the top two practice speeds are now both AspX - it really does seem that skill and technique is most important. Well, and braking power... :rolleyes:

New PB: 8261 m/s.

Please let us know how the testing goes. There's currently an Anaconda-shaped ...indentation... in the ground.

New PB: 8261 m/s.

Ah yes that would be mine. Reached 6666m/s though. Constantly boosting upwards from 100km and still thwacked into the ground.

Anaconda sucks. Or maybe it's just gravity that does.

Top Bottom