News Important Mac announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Hello Commanders,

It is with great sadness that we must announce the upcoming end of Elite Dangerous on Mac.

Firstly, we want to reassure you that this decision did not come lightly and is something that we have been investigating for some time. As many of you will know, despite our best efforts, we have been unable to bring Elite Dangerous Horizons to Mac since launch due to technical barriers. With the planned improvements coming in our Chapter Four update of the Beyond season we have felt it necessary to make this difficult decision in order to allow us to bring in content and features in the way that we felt was best for the overall Elite Dangerous experience. It is for this reason that we wanted to give you as much notice as possible. With the release of the Q4 update, coming towards the end of the year, you will no longer be able to play Elite Dangerous on Mac. As soon as we have a date of the update to share, we will do so here.

At the point of the Q4 update, you will no longer be able to access Elite Dangerous products through the Mac OS. However, you will still be able to log into your account on PC (or via Bootcamp.)

We hope you will understand why we have taken this course of action and would encourage those of you who have questions or concerns, to please contact our Support Team HERE who are on hand and ready to help!

Thanks again,

Ed and the Elite Dangerous team

Apple dropped huge ball here :( Sad to hear this. Was convinced Metal 2 might cut it, but it seems FD got fed up a bit with Apple shenanigans.

What a shame.

Last edited:
This make me wonder if Horizons is being bundled into the main game when Q4 comes out. Then there will be the new DLC to buy.

I think this is now definitely what will happen. I expecting everybody in base game moved to 64-bit Horizons build (with Horizons features disabled of course). DirectX11 support becoming mandatory.

SPECULATION This also gives potential release window for Q4 release, seems like late October/early November for me (because of 6 month warning window).

Does anyone know if Apple's planning on figuring out a way to make Bootcamp work on Macs after the switch to the new CPU architecture they announced was happening, or will that kill Windows-on-Mac too?

I see Mac OS X is no longer listed on the frontierstore.net listing for the game, but it is still there on Steam. Is this because delisting the OS would cause Mac OS X Steam players to suddenly not be able to play immediately, and thus it will only change later in the year ? Or is this an oversight/pending change ?

Does anyone know if Apple's planning on figuring out a way to make Bootcamp work on Macs after the switch to the new CPU architecture they announced was happening, or will that kill Windows-on-Mac too?

New Mac platform will be ARM based. So I wouldn't expect Bootcamp to even come close to working.

Say goodbye to Mac as desktop. It goes away.

I see Mac OS X is no longer listed on the frontierstore.net listing for the game, but it is still there on Steam. Is this because delisting the OS would cause Mac OS X Steam players to suddenly not be able to play immediately, and thus it will only change later in the year ? Or is this an oversight/pending change ?

The updates have been made to the Steam store, it's probably just caching.

Apple has announced nothing. This ARM switch is still nothing but a rumour. Should it ever happen, it will kill Bootcamp.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom