Confirmation that the Wolf has reappeared in Belgium. He was photographed in the Hautes-nes.

Roger Herman, an 80-year-old amateur photographer, fell on the beast as he followed a herd of deer.

Several clichés were shared, in particular by the spokesman of the Walloon Minister of Nature, René Collin.

"The images taken are of such quality that they leave no doubt as to the identification of the species," he said, adding that the wolf was "apparently healthy."

The Wolf also reappears in the French regions.

I wonder if the Wolf can exceptionally attack a man in the forest ?

https://imgur.com/a/Kt5yEfA

https://imgur.com/a/KxcYH3v

https://imgur.com/a/dn6v5uz

https://imgur.com/a/N3I6FGb

Last edited:
People like the idea of the noble predator roaming free right up until it eats a kid.

These animals (and others) were driven out of heavily populated areas for fairly obvious reasons. This time around will be no different. Throws our hypocrisy with less developed countries into sharp relief as we expect them not to want to do the same.

People like the idea of the noble predator roaming free right up until it eats a kid.

These animals (and others) were driven out of heavily populated areas for fairly obvious reasons. This time around will be no different. Throws our hypocrisy with less developed countries into sharp relief as we expect them not to want to do the same.

But the Wolves, have they already attacked men in the reality ?

But the Wolves, have they already attacked men in the reality ?

From Wikipedia :

The country with the most extensive historical records is France, where nearly 7,600 fatal attacks were documented from 1200 to 1920. In modern times, they occur most often in India and neighboring countries. There are few historical records or modern cases of wolf attacks in North America. In the half-century up to 2002, there were eight fatal attacks in Europe and Russia, three in North America, and more than 200 in south Asia.

From Wikipedia :

The country with the most extensive historical records is France, where nearly 7,600 fatal attacks were documented from 1200 to 1920. In modern times, they occur most often in India and neighboring countries. There are few historical records or modern cases of wolf attacks in North America. In the half-century up to 2002, there were eight fatal attacks in Europe and Russia, three in North America, and more than 200 in south Asia.

In Czech Republic they currently have three wolf packs (for a couple of years, now) and there have been no accidents. Not just fatal accidents - no accidents at all. It's all just about not being a moron when hiking. A pack of wolves isn't a jaguar. They don't sneak around the woods, assassinating people from above.
And 8000 deaths 800 years is nothing. Hippos kill more people every year... :D

Last edited:
In Czech Republic they currently have three wolf packs (for a couple of years, now) and there have been no accidents. Not just fatal accidents - no accidents at all. It's all just about not being a moron when hiking.

...and Hippo's breath reeks.[knocked out]

In Czech Republic they currently have three wolf packs (for a couple of years, now) and there have been no accidents. Not just fatal accidents - no accidents at all. It's all just about not being a moron when hiking. A pack of wolves isn't a jaguar. They don't sneak around the woods, assassinating people from above.

Yup. Wolves are pretty safe compared to a lot of other animals out there. I think the main concern is the killing of livestock.

Wasps are far more dangerous but that's irrelevant to the point I'm making.

All it takes is a lean winter and they will go after people, if they've been fed or taken to bin scavenging they'll be losing their fear of humans which worsens the problem.

According to the Czech Republic's official police stats about 40 children go missing every day I'm sure they were not all just morons who went hiking.

Wolves in North America have never been a threat to humans, despite the fact that we have quite a lot of them. Bears, on the other hand, often put people on the menu.

Wolves in North America have never been a threat to humans, despite the fact that we have quite a lot of them. Bears, on the other hand, often put people on the menu.

You are armed to the teeth though there's no chance they'll lose their fear of people. Here in the UK the best we can manage is a rolled up newspaper, which is admittedly more effective against the much greater threat of wasps.

Last edited:
You are armed to the teeth though there's no chance they'll lose their fear of people. Here in the UK the best we can manage is a rolled up newspaper, which is admittedly more effective against the much greater threat of wasps.

Well, not everybody is armed, despite common misconceptions. Also, the greatest problems actually do stem from the animals becoming habituated to humans where our environments overlap. A bear in the wild behaving as it should is far far safer and more predictable than one who has learned from getting into feed sheds/picking through trash/etc that human habitation is a possible source of nutrition. A human habituated bear is a terrifying prospect I can assure you.

Well, not everybody is armed, despite common misconceptions. Also, the greatest problems actually do stem from the animals becoming habituated to humans where our environments overlap. A bear in the wild behaving as it should is far far safer and more predictable than one who has learned from getting into feed sheds/picking through trash/etc that human habitation is a possible source of nutrition. A human habituated bear is a terrifying prospect I can assure you.

If I recall well, something similar has happened over the last years thanks to the interbreeding of domestic dogs and wolves, hence, they are more aggresive.

I don't think everyone is armed in the same way I'm not currently wearing a bowler hat, enough in the US are armed for wolves to associate humans with load bangs and death though. Firearm hunting is probably the most common form of interaction between wolves and humans in the US even if the humans don't see or hear them at the time.

Saltwater crocodile hunting bans cause a spike in human attacks one crocodile generation later due to them growing up without hunting. They then legalise/temp lift/sell hunting permits and it sort of runs in cycles (too early to be certain on this). It also leads to the locals killing them off en mass, which is where I was originally going with this.

Predators in area's where people are not predator aware will lead to deaths, of humans then of the predators.

That sounds like quite a lot, it'd be lovely if you provided the source.

Yeah. I don't think he meant what he wrote.
I've heard some interesting things about Czech Republic, but I very much believe that if they were losing 14.600 children a year, they wouldn't be on the map of Europe by now. :D :D

people in some countries lament the lack of wolves and celebrate every sighting, this is understandable. I guess stories have a more important influence on our perception of these animals than eyewitness testimonies.

These are still wild animals, carnivores even, and therefore dangerous to some extend. But that doesn't mean that they have to be eradicated. We do have a history of "unnatural selection" of other species and the resulting imbalance in the ecosystem. They shouldn't appear in cities, that's obvious, but we have nature preserves for a reason.

Yeah. I don't think he meant what he wrote.
I've heard some interesting things about Czech Republic, but I very much believe that if they were losing 14.600 children a year, they wouldn't be on the map of Europe by now. :D :D

Google it.

https://www.radio.cz/en/section/curraffrs/around-40-kids-a-day-go-missing-in-the-czech-republic

Its 140,000 per year in the UK which has 6 times the population of the Czech Republic IIRC. These are kids reported missing to the cops the majority turn up again.

people in some countries lament the lack of wolves and celebrate every sighting, this is understandable. I guess stories have a more important influence on our perception of these animals than eyewitness testimonies.

These are still wild animals, carnivores even, and therefore dangerous to some extend. But that doesn't mean that they have to be eradicated. We do have a history of "unnatural selection" of other species and the resulting imbalance in the ecosystem. They shouldn't appear in cities, that's obvious, but we have nature preserves for a reason.

Nobodies said they have to be eradicated, that's just what inevitably happens when people get killed.

The only way to prevent it is fenced off nature reserves people can't get into, even then people climbing into the animal enclosure and getting killed is really common.

Top Bottom