ANNOUNCEMENT April Update - Coming 23 April 2019

We’re very pleased to announce that the next update for Elite Dangerous, the April Update, will release on... Tuesday 23 April 2019!

Supercruise Assist
...​
your ship will automatically maintain the correct speed and approach to your target destination, and break out of Supercruise at the optimum time.​

Awesome, thanks for the update @Will!

Just a concern here - the automated tools should never be "optimal". Taking the Supercruise Assist, for example, it should take a very conservative approach, say, maintain a 10s approach vector instead of the optimal 5-6s one, and then break out once all the blue bars are in the centre, rather than as soon as possible.

That way there'll always be very real benefits/incentives to not only learn to fly manually, but to actually do so as well, while still allowing a "no-hands" mode for those so inclined.

Fly safe,
- Micha.

Accretion disks on black holes... when? We got proof of them about 30 minutes ago...
That orange ring isn't an accretion disk, it's gravitational lensing of the energy from hot moving matter around the event horizon, probably only visible with radio telescopes anyway.

2). "Advanced Docking Computer" replaces the current "Standard Docking Computer". There is no longer any need for the old technology of "Standard Docking Computer".
[/QUOTE]
I want a separate standard DC for bringing in my freighter while I set my next destination, but I don't want an advanced one for departure because it'll probably be too slow.

Where do you find missions to kill Thargoids?

Payout for scenarios seems broken? 100k for fighting off interceptors and repairing your megaship seems like a dev forgot a couple of zeroes.

Free module slots for everyone!

With the introduction of these new modules, small ships will be outfitted with two additional size one Optional Internal slots, while medium and large ships will also receive one additional Optional Internal slot. This will automatically and retroactively apply to all relevant ships.

adam-ruins-everything-tru-tv.jpg

If you've seen the internet, you've seen this guy, and you know what he does, but just in case you've been in an escape pod for the past 50 years, his name is Adam, and he ruins everything. I have to play Adam for a minute here.

One or two extra slots sounds great, doesn't it? Sure it does. But there's something you're missing here - those modules that you're already planning on cramming in those slots have mass. More mass means less jump range. Less jump range means more jumping, more jumping means more threads about how "grindy" it is to play a game about flying a ship around in space.

So I must ask, out of consideration for all of us, even those of us over two months away from the nearest inhabited system, that some consideration be given to base jump ranges. My ship, now far, far, far from the nearest public restroom, suddenly sprouts a new module slot, which in turn grows a brand new module, but I haven't been able to adjust for this, and I may not be able to make the jump to the next nearest system, as the stellar density where I am makes me think about every single jump I make - can I go past it, or will I have to double back and pick an alternate route? Or will I simply be stranded?

I would say a small increase to the base jump range of all ships, just enough to offset the new mass, or for those who still haven't left their beginning neighborhoods, to compensate for the additional slots and potential mass that did not exist when the base jump ranges were determined, is not out of line here.

Community? What say you?

Frontier, what say you?

Before the update:

hard_BOT hard_BOT

After the update:

hard_BOT hard_BOT
easy_BOT easy_BOT easy_BOT easy_BOT easy_BOT easy_BOT easy_BOT easy_BOT easy_BOT easy_BOT easy_BOT easy_BOT easy_BOT easy_BOT easy_BOT easy_BOT easy_BOT easy_BOT easy_BOT easy_BOT easy_BOT easy_BOT easy_BOT easy_BOT easy_BOT easy_BOT easy_BOT easy_BOT easy_BOT easy_BOT easy_BOT easy_BOT easy_BOT

Greetings Commanders,

We’re very pleased to announce that the next update for Elite Dangerous, the April Update, will release on... Tuesday 23 April 2019!

As mentioned in the beginning of March, this year's initial updates will focus on introducing quality of life improvements and improving the welcoming experience for beginners. This update brings with it two new modules to help get you out there, engaging in and exploring all that there is to discover - as well as ensure that you're able to access in-game information and training from the seat of your cockpit!

Read below for all of the details:

Beginners' Zone

A new collection of systems has been added for newly-created Commanders, and can only be accessed by pilots until they earn their first Combat, Trade or Exploration rank. In addition, the authorities here will provide simpler missions that even the smallest of Sidewinders can complete.

Across the galaxy, new Commanders will also have a reduced rebuy until they gain their first Combat, Trade or Exploration rank, a step in the path towards greatness!

New Modules

Advanced Docking Computer
We're adding an upgraded version of the original Docking Computer, a module designed to allow Commanders to relax, let go of their flight sticks and automatically dock in stations to the serene strings of Johann Strauss II.​
The Advanced Docking Computer will not only allow you to dock, but also allow you to automatically undock from a station without anxiously worrying about getting stuck inside the mail slot. Let's face it, it will also help with those embarrassing Type-10 spoiler moments!​
This module will also come as standard in all newly-purchased small ships. If you're starting up a new account, you will find the Advanced Docking Computer in your ship from the get-go - making it easier for you to embark and disembark from your favourite stations without colliding with the walls, landing pads or your fellow Commanders.​

Supercruise Assist
Available at your nearest starship department store (i.e. Outfitting) comes the new Supercruise Assist module. While in Supercruise, you'll be able to target a destination and activate Supercruise Assist, putting your safety in the reassuring hands of a machine. In this mode, your ship will automatically maintain the correct speed and approach to your target destination, and break out of Supercruise at the optimum time. You'll still have to align with the correct location, but you will no longer have to worry about doing a loop of shame!​
With the the Supercruise Assist, you will also be able to enter into orbit around a body - allowing you to launch discovery probes and take screenshots without the fear of face-planting the dusty, rocky ground.​
This module will also come as standard in all newly-purchased ships.​

Free module slots for everyone!

With the introduction of these new modules, small ships will be outfitted with two additional size one Optional Internal slots, while medium and large ships will also receive one additional Optional Internal slot. This will automatically and retroactively apply to all relevant ships.

Navigation Tab

In Beyond - Chapter Four, the cockpit was completely revamped, and with the April Update, come even more improvements! The latest area to feel the love is the Navigation Panel where, in places, we have added icons for a tighter, more visually appealing layout.

A new column has been added to this panel, denoting activities in an area, mission targets, plotted routes, Wanted status and if the threat level of some areas is too high. The Navigation popup expands on this information, providing more details about the location, such as faction details, star class, information of resources and more!

Two of these may sound new to you - so allow us to explain!
  • Activities - Every location in the Elite galaxy, offers different activities, be it collecting Combat Bonds in a Combat Zone, or mining asteroids at a Resource Extraction Site. Icons and links to the Pilots' Handbook (see below) have been added to help you easily identify what activities are available at a given location.
  • Threat Level - Threat Level is something that already exists in the game (previously only seen at Unidentified Signal Sources), but this new marker will now appear in all systems. If a location has a threat level too high for your current combat rank, a 'danger' icon will be displayed, warning you that the location might be too dangerous.
Pilot's Handbook

Like the Codex, the Pilot's Handbook is a treasure trove of information, providing details on the many activities available to you in Elite Dangerous. Whether you're a veteran, or you've only just graduated from flight school, these articles will help you discover what opportunities are out there - and what is required to get involved in them. With links from the cockpit straight to the Pilot's Handbook, sourcing information is easier than ever before!

Trading Screen Improvements

When you're an interstellar trader, every minute is a potential sale... so to help you avoid being badgered by a strange man trying to sell you the 'deal of a lifetime' (500 tonnes of bio-waste is not always a good deal, by the way!), a number of improvements have been made to the user interface of the Commodities Market.

You will find two panels in the Commodities Market, Buy and Sell. Each new panel will provide you with important information:
  • Commodities relevant to any active missions you're currently undertaking
  • Icons that provide feedback of profits and supplies.
  • Trade data on nearby local systems per commodity
  • Buy and sell commodities pop-up with much more info than before - helpful even to the seasoned trader!
  • Select markets or goods and view their trade data in the Galaxy Map.
All these improvements have been introduced to make the Commodities Market easier to understand at a glance, ensuring every Commander can become a wolf of the interstellar Wall Street.

Interstellar Initiatives

Our name for the previously announced 'Community Events'. These are series of in-game events that play out over the course of around a month. Each one features several phases that will alter as the narrative progresses, and may end with lasting effects on the galaxy. We'll be delving deeper into these in just a couple of weeks.

...and there's more!
  • Revamped main menu layout, including featuring GalNet news and other important information.
  • Training Missions and Challenge Scenarios will now be accessible via the cockpit, allowing you to brush up your skills right from the seat of your ship.
  • Loading screen tips.
  • Bug fixes.
So there you have it, a brief take on some of the features coming in the next update.

Join us on Thursday 18 April (at 18:00 UTC) for a content reveal livestream, where Executive Producer Adam Woods will be showcasing how all of this looks in-game!

Until then, please feel free to share your thoughts and feedback with us below.

See you in the black, Commander!
While you're adding slots to ships, please look at the federal gunship. One of those military slots needs to be an anything slot at least.

adam-ruins-everything-tru-tv.jpg

If you've seen the internet, you've seen this guy, and you know what he does, but just in case you've been in an escape pod for the past 50 years, his name is Adam, and he ruins everything. I have to play Adam for a minute here.

One or two extra slots sounds great, doesn't it? Sure it does. But there's something you're missing here - those modules that you're already planning on cramming in those slots have mass. More mass means less jump range. Less jump range means more jumping, more jumping means more threads about how "grindy" it is to play a game about flying a ship around in space.

So I must ask, out of consideration for all of us, even those of us over two months away from the nearest inhabited system, that some consideration be given to base jump ranges. My ship, now far, far, far from the nearest public restroom, suddenly sprouts a new module slot, which in turn grows a brand new module, but I haven't been able to adjust for this, and I may not be able to make the jump to the next nearest system, as the stellar density where I am makes me think about every single jump I make - can I go past it, or will I have to double back and pick an alternate route? Or will I simply be stranded?

I would say a small increase to the base jump range of all ships, just enough to offset the new mass, or for those who still haven't left their beginning neighborhoods, to compensate for the additional slots and potential mass that did not exist when the base jump ranges were determined, is not out of line here.

Community? What say you?

Frontier, what say you?
? It's not going to sprout a new module.

Great update, looking forward to a few of the new features.

But I am now confused. Many of the 'experts' here in the forums, you know, those that seem to know everything, have categorically stated the game is in maintenance mode. I always thought that mode meant nothing new was being made, but by golly, here we are getting new features. Wonder if they will admit they were wrong …..

Every game I have played has had a couterie of people stating that the game is either dying or no longer being developed, they seem to base future prediction from a pessimistic viewpoint. Ok every game has at some point got to start losing players and going into maintenance mode just to keep the remaining players happy, that's a fact of life, but lets not try and make it happen by driving new players away by claiming it's dying is my opinion.

Sooooo many quality of life changes. Reducing the need for a lot of the 3rd party websites - I mean, you're flying a FTL spaceship and they don't have edsm or inara analogues in that time? Unfortunately I'm over halfway to Beagle Point, but will be so happy to feel all these improvements once back in the Bubble

Great update, looking forward to a few of the new features.

But I am now confused. Many of the 'experts' here in the forums, you know, those that seem to know everything, have categorically stated the game is in maintenance mode. I always thought that mode meant nothing new was being made, but by golly, here we are getting new features. Wonder if they will admit they were wrong …..
Maybe, once it's actually released ;)

An extra C1 module slot, unrestricted, in my Cutter? Oh boy. Sounds like I might have just gotten to over 800T cargo capacity without shields.

Also, standing by for a new wave of insane people trying to reach the farthest point from Sol. That little extra sip of gas is gonna be all they needed.

All the things look optional so technically there can be no issue for existing players. The outfitting changes will be interesting, making large ships completely braindead now, but also opening up a good part of the midfield that was previously not good enough.. can't wait to set up some of the smaller ships with 2 extra slots now!

Thinking about new players though.. i think frontier have possibly missed the point again. They must not play any games AT ALL, let alone their own. The thrown in the deep end effect was always notable in elite, always mentioned, but never really the problem. The problem was not having anything to do with the new skills once acquired. A far more organic approach would have been to grow the tutorial sequence into a medium or large size campaign, like what other sandbox games do. X-rebirth was great if you looked at the campaign as the tutorial... its an immensely complex game yet they run through one of everything you can with some shell of a reason from the narrative.. it really worked.

Turning it off would be sub optional because: new players will just get used to this stuff as crutches, and have even less to anchor once once in choose your own adventure land. The actual experience of skilling up doesn't change, its just kicking the can. The truck simulator games actually nail what frontier has tried to do for so long.. player jeopardy in a perfectly balanced way (it never goes away unlike in elite) and guess what.. its implemented in the driving mechanics). I use a docking computer myself wherever i can, but taking the experience away from new players is a bit of a lobotomy.

So you are saying that the upgrade won't eventuate or are you hoping the upgrade won't eventuate - after all it will defeat your continuous doom and gloom messages ;)
I'm saying that until it hits the live servers, it don't count. :)

When it does, hooray, but I think you'll struggle to attribute a dying/maintenance post to me.

Questions - are the beginner systems current systems that have been marked off for beginners, or have you created new planets for beginners? What's the lore / mechanic that prevents Elite pilots from entering these systems?
I think they are permit locked and as soon as you gain any rank in anything other than noob, you lose the access. Stops people from griefing. Very nice move!

I love that we are getting new module slots in all the ships! I hate that some of the stuff you have to carry for mining like a surface scanner for rings loses the data about the rings if you take the scanner off. Why isn't that data stored in your ships computer? Seems like once you have the map of the hotspots on the rings you shouldn't need to carry that module and can replace it with a prospector or an extra collector on your next run. It will be super helpful in the smaller ships running for mining.

Indeed, I was just reviewing my deep core mining Adder build. :cool:

Right now with only five slots you have to leave behind one of the following three items: shields, collectors, DSS. Now the Adder will be able to bring it all, and even squeeze in some extra cargo or a fuel scoop! Heck, I might even try something silly like take an ImpEagle out mining.

Top Bottom