FDEV, please confirm that...

... the Supercruise Assist module will be capable of holding the course and navigate around bodies if the destination is obscured. According to the stream yesterday it sounds like it is only capable of maintaining speed, which would not only make the feature completely useless but actually harm the new player experience.

My understanding is that if there is a clear line of sight between you and your destination then the SAM will automatically regulate speed and drop you at the location (or enter orbit) when close enough, however the pilot will need to manually account for astronomical bodies in the way.

In the Stream yesterday, Paige confirmed that it will not be able to navigate around bodies. You must find your destination un-obscured and then engage.

EDIT: I would have liked it to auto-nav around bodies; but not only would there have been an uproar from some elitists about "auto-flying" but I also wouldn't trust it. Remember auto-docking in beta? Yeah.

Last edited:
If the point is to prevent the loop of style, then it's fine the way they are proposing. You still have to pilot the ship and find the best angle coming in around a collection of bodies, but the speed will adjust and will drop you out correctly. Sounds fine.

... the Supercruise Assist module will be capable of holding the course and navigate around bodies if the destination is obscured. According to the stream yesterday it sounds like it is only capable of maintaining speed, which would not only make the feature completely useless but actually harm the new player experience.
It's an auto speed, not an autopilot, I think. I wouldnt really want an autopilot, that would harm the new player experience as they might never actually fly the ship.

If the point is to prevent the loop of style, then it's fine the way they are proposing. You still have to pilot the ship and find the best angle coming in around a collection of bodies, but the speed will adjust and will drop you out correctly. Sounds fine.
The same could be achieved by limiting newcomers to 75% throttle... ;)

Haven't watched it myself, but I understand on the livestream last night someone asked 'so is this like putting the throttle in the blue?' and Will said'yes, but people have issues doing that....'

What happens if I enter supercruise assist and won't notice that my destination is obscured because I'm too far away?
Or what happens to the small course corrections needed if eyeballing from 1200 ls and later getting close and completely miss the target?
This assist seems quite... how do I put it... useless? Yes, I guess useless is the word I'd use.
Why not make it a HUD warning instead "reduce speed"? Oh, we have that already, right.

AFAIK the supercruise assist is more like a 'cruise control' speed setting that will max out the speed until you come close enough to the destination that throttling down to the blue zone is required to not overshoot. The throttle adjustments are handled by the supercruise assist module. Any course corrections will have to be made by the pilot manually, as before.

AFAIK the supercruise assist is more like a 'cruise control' speed setting that will max out the speed until you come close enough to the destination that throttling down to the blue zone is required to not overshoot. The throttle adjustments are handled by the supercruise assist module. Any course corrections will have to be made by the pilot manually, as before.
I don't quite get it why this small feature (basically one button press "75% speed") needs a module slot, neither where the big advantage for newbs is.

Guess I'm gonna go sharpen my pitchforks...

edit: Facta, all of them!

I was under the impression that it works like this:

ADC: Undocks you from the pad, takes you out of the station and returns control to you.
CMDR: You align with your destination, and enter SC. You ensure that your destination is unhindered by annoying things like stars, planets etc.
SCA: Will keep you in the blue and then drop you out of SC at the right moment.
If docking:
  1. SCA: Returns control to the CMDR.
  2. CMDR: You will approach your destination, apply for docking and engage the DC.
  3. ADC: Will dock you at the pad safely and return control back to the CMDR.
If simply approaching a planet:
  1. SCA: Will automatically enter orbit around a planet and return control to the CMDR.

Bolognaise Sauces:

...automatically dock in stations...
... automatically undock from a station...​

...target a destination and activate Supercruise Assist...your ship will automatically maintain the correct speed and approach to your target destination, and break out of Supercruise at the optimum time. You'll still have to align with the correct location,...​
...enter into orbit around a body - allowing you to launch discovery probes and take screenshots...​

Last edited:
I was under the impression that it works like this:

ADC: Undocks you from the pad, takes you out of the station and returns control to you.
CMDR: You align with your destination, and enter SC. You ensure that your destination is unhindered by annoying things like stars, planets etc.
SCA: Will keep you in the blue and then drop you out of SC at the right moment.
If docking:
  1. SCA: Returns control to the CMDR.
  2. CMDR: You will approach your destination, apply for docking and engage the DC.
  3. ADC: Will dock you at the pad safely and return control back to the CMDR.
If simply approaching a planet:
  1. SCA: Will automatically enter orbit around a planet and return control to the CMDR.
Bolognaise Sauces:
This is what I call engaging gameplay... Wait a sec.. What?!

I don't quite get it why this small feature (basically one button press "75% speed") needs a module slot, neither where the big advantage for newbs is.

Guess I'm gonna go sharpen my pitchforks...

edit: Facta, all of them!
dWfVik4.png

I truly hope AP is more than that. I've done the 75% throttle before, and our ship still drifts off target over time, even if you use the little dot to perfectly center a distant planet. There better be at least some "microsteering" to keep our ships on target.

Top Bottom