General / Off-Topic Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris is Burning

I wondered about this. I'm personally familiar with water damage and just how destructive it can be. Hopefully there are experts on the scene that can "dry out" sensitive architecture, as a lot of the damage water does is over prolonged exposure (swelling of wood fibers, absorption into mortar, rot, mold, etc).

Personally I think it's too early to declare the cathedral lost, however. It just may be more damaged than one can assess from pictures alone.
And last night, Donald suggested sending the water bombers.

:D

well, i have a whole arsenal to throw at the catholic church but this wasn't the context. that building may be the symbol of faith an nation for some, for me it is
just a symbol of repression. that it was catholic repression is just a coincicence.

so while i am empathic for the feelings of others, even if it is for "faith and nation" which i couldn't care less about (any of them), i do see the value in seeing this building burning to the ground. if you ask me? leave it as it is, let nature deal with it. then you have a really powerful symbol ... and a pretty fireproof one! :D

This is interesting and fair.
I do find that more consistent with how we've been treating certain historical artifacts in the US.
I see some of the same people who were calling for monuments to be removed all up in arms about Notre Dame.
That seems incongruous.

I'm more of the mind that these things should be preserved for the reminders they serve, but that's a fair position you've shared I think.

I wondered about this. I'm personally familiar with water damage and just how destructive it can be. Hopefully there are experts on the scene that can "dry out" sensitive architecture, as a lot of the damage water does is over prolonged exposure (swelling of wood fibers, absorption into mortar, rot, mold, etc).

Personally I think it's too early to declare the cathedral lost, however. It just may be more damaged than one can assess from pictures alone.
Luckily summer is coming, and if it's a dry one there is hope. I'm interested in what the conclusion the fire department will come to regarding how it started. Lets see how many safety regulation the construction company broke.

Before / After

Luckily summer is coming, and if it's a dry one there is hope. I'm interested in what the conclusion the fire department will come to regarding how it started. Lets see how many safety regulation the construction company broke.
Yes, many people are waiting for this investigation.

Some already suggests the conspiracy thesis.

I feel the destruction of knowledge and history, in whatever it's form, is a loss that can only contribute to the perpetuation of ignorance.

Even symbols of repression are history, and putting them to the torch doesn't undo any damage they've caused, it just makes it more likely future generations (or even our future selves) are less likely to learn from it.

We need facts, however as someone who actually do a lot of large construction, I find it weird and especially in Europe where the regulation is very strict, as an example if any hot work is carried out, you need to place a guard for hours after the work is completed to be sure no fires can break out.

You also need to have an emergency plan available, you need to be in communication with the local fire department if you're doing any construction of a certain size, and i'm sure this refurbish was of that size.

So I'm not pointing fingers at anybody, I just find it incredibly hard to believe this was just something that happened.

We need facts, however as someone who actually do a lot of large construction, I find it weird and especially in Europe where the regulation is very strict, as an example if any hot work is carried out, you need to place a guard for hours after the work is completed to be sure no fires can break out.

You also need to have an emergency plan available, you need to be in communication with the local fire department if you're doing any construction of a certain size, and i'm sure this refurbish was of that size.

So I'm not pointing fingers at anybody, I just find it incredibly hard to believe this was just something that happened.
Perhaps it is the electrical installation of the cathedral that is defective ?

Someone said that a lot of church in Paris are outdated like the church of "La Madeleine" which has a very bad electrical installation.

Yes, I'm actually quite angry about this. Can't explain further as it is leaning towards political.
Ultimately, some poor sap at the bottom of the pile will be blamed. :(
If anyone is to blame it's the company who is responsible for the construction, this will most likely ruin the company.

Perhaps it is the electrical installation of the cathedral that is defective ?

Someone said that a lot of church in Paris are outdated like the church of "La Madeleine" which has a very bad electrical installation.

Electrical malfunction is to blame? any gas leaks while we are at it? barrels of gasoline close by, must have been a heck of a electrical malfunction.

Up until yesterday funding for Notre Dame maintenance was on the low side - not carried out by the Catholic church apparently, as the building is managed by the state of France - and although some work was going on, that was work to the roof .. while the stonework is known to be crumbling. Today, over half a billion euros have been donated ..

Up until yesterday funding for Notre Dame maintenance was on the low side - not carried out by the Catholic church apparently, as the building is managed by the state of France - and although some work was going on, that was work to the roof .. while the stonework is known to be crumbling. Today, over half a billion euros have been donated ..
sounds good, now they need to remove it out of the hands of the government, they can't take care of it.

Top Bottom