General / Off-Topic Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris is Burning

While I understand what you are saying, how many here invest as much time and money in your local soup kitchen as you do your gaming rigs and imaginary spaceships?

Ooops, I was supposed to be quitting this thread.... Oi I'm like a nicotine addict!
Yes, exactly. That's why I described it as human nature. I guess it's kind of a reality check.

And what was so different about the scale?

Imperial Japan killed tens of millions of people too.

Its more complicated than the butchers bill alone, the Nazi's posed an actual credible of world domination and very nearly carried it out. Japan not so much.

The objection to the swastika is most prevalent in Germany due to the baggage it comes with and their understandable desire to move on. Again japan not so much.

Scale of threat, scale of ongoing outrage at the symbol.

Meh, just another church.
Middle of Paris, probably be a high rise office block in a couple of years.

Religion in Europe is in the terminal phase of a logarithmic decline (congregation reduces by 25% over the period of average life expectancy minus average age of congregation, whilst average age of congregation rises at 6 months per annum, reaching parity between 2031 and 2041) . In Britain it's effectively already in free-fall and should die out during the 2030's.

Can I just say that, historical and (for people of faith) spiritual values aside, I find it... sad and comical at the same time. In a country (or even western society as a whole, nothing against French in particular) that is on a verge of economical and social collapse, where thousands of people are protesting against leadership, millions of people are on poverty level of livelihood and nothing is being done with anything, suddenly people emerge who are willing to put years of work and tens of millions Euro into repairing a burnt-down church.

That is just so... human, I guess.

While I think the collapse of western society is rather overstated, I certainly see the irony in the bizarre priorities of people. Surely there is something better that can be done with a billion Euro. And even if a national historic landmark is worthy of special treatment, there is no way you'd see anything like this level of donation for anything preventative. It has to be way too late before people act.

I think people just have a need for a good disaster flick.

While I understand what you are saying, how many here invest as much time and money in your local soup kitchen as you do your gaming rigs and imaginary spaceships?

My gaming rigs and imaginary spaceships provide me with all sorts of entertainment. Feeding and cleaning up after people...not so much.

However, I will gladly donate modest sums to non-profit groups seeking to catalog and disseminate at-risk knowledge before incompetence, neglect, or the next generation of book burning lunatics erases it.

Can I just say that, historical and (for people of faith) spiritual values aside, I find it... sad and comical at the same time. In a country (or even western society as a whole, nothing against French in particular) that is on a verge of economical and social collapse, where thousands of people are protesting against leadership, millions of people are on poverty level of livelihood and nothing is being done with anything, suddenly people emerge who are willing to put years of work and tens of millions Euro into repairing a burnt-down church.

That is just so... human, I guess.

Haven't been keeping up with French political/economical news. Is that really true, about them being near financial and social collapse, or are you being hyperbolic?

Meh, just another church.
Middle of Paris, probably be a high rise office block in a couple of years.

Religion in Europe is in the terminal phase of a logarithmic decline (congregation reduces by 25% over the period of average life expectancy minus average age of congregation, whilst average age of congregation rises at 6 months per annum, reaching parity between 2031 and 2041) . In Britain it's effectively already in free-fall and should die out during the 2030's.

You don't have to be religious in any way to appreciate the beauty of medieval churches and cathedrals. Personally, I'm an atheist with a particular loathing for the kind of religious that was drummed into me as a kid by parents etc. I also love religious art and architecture of all kinds from pagodas to cathedrals to mosques to hindu temples and so on. It's fantasy art of the highest quality and worth preserving.
I far prefer it to modern architecture which is spectacularly ugly on the whole.

It doesn't mean money (half a billion) should be wasted on a vanity project that won't be finished before any possible users are all dead themselves.
The ruins would be as much of a tourist draw any day.
images

Last edited:
It doesn't mean money should be wasted on a vanity project that won't be finished before any possible users are all dead themselves.
The ruins would be as much of a tourist draw any day.
images

We have plenty of picturesque ruins already - no need for anymore.
It's not a vanity project - you really don't get it how many people love ND for it's sheer beauty, do you?

Thus far French Government (tax-payers) funding, EU funding and donations from 'businesses and private individuals'.
If you can't think of a better use for half a billion I could suggest solar desalination plants and irrigation schemes around the Med for starters.

Somebody get Felix a hardhat.

In all seriousness, that's the age old gripe: how the government is spending my money.

Last edited:
It's not necessary to be religious or french to feel very sad when watching the pictures from Paris. All it needs is a little sense for beauty and I'm sorry for all you folks who seem to be blind for it.

Thus far French Government (tax-payers) funding, EU funding and donations from 'businesses and private individuals'.
If you can't think of a better use for half a billion I could suggest solar desalination plants and irrigation schemes around the Med for starters.

I'd like to see us do both if possible - preserve the best of our culture and heritage and prepare for the future.
There's a Chinese saying: If you only have two pennies left in the world then buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other. The bread is so you can stay alive, the lily to give you a reason to stay alive.

Top Bottom