Griefers at the Engineers

Then why are you on that side of the aisle?
Lol exactly. You just proved my point with this comment right here. You think that the anti-gankers are so high an mighty and better than everyone else. Every ganker I know is the most helpful and awesome person in the game.

People like yourself think you're better than the rest of us and have nasty attitudes and personally, in my opinion, those of you that think it's so terrible to kill another player in a video game have some kind of mental problem. There's seriously something not right that you're taking a video game death so seriously.

I've seen your posts, I've seen the nasty, hateful things you've said about gankers. I have yet to see a ganker with an attitude as nasty and negative as yours.

I'm not trying to call you out but you asked

those of you that think it's so terrible to kill another player in a video game have some kind of mental problem

I mean, you don't even kill the character in the game. You make them spend some money. It's basically like getting them to take you out on a date!

I don't know what Rampant mentioned,

It appears that I am blocked by void, so could somebody please quote my list that confirms gankers put themselves at less risk, always, than the vast majority of other players.

While we're at it, let's discuss the mantra that often gets used "Gankers are what make the galaxy Dangerous" (euch)...

The contradiction and hypocrisy contained within that mantra is the rhetorical question that begs itself every time I hear that rubbish:
What makes the galaxy dangerous for the gankers that utter this hollow and contrary mantra?
Answer: Nothing, because they are engineering the game to be as least risky for themselves as possible. What, with that fighter vessel, with all that engineered firepower, and all that engineered shield and all that engineered HRP and all that engineered thrusters and all that engineered SCBs...etc..." that is deliberately ensuring that the galaxy poses as little risk as possible, LOL.
Rumbled?
(Again.)
And worth repeating every time I read that contrary mantra...
(Because it gets conveniently and deliberately ignored, in favour of another agenda.)

Last edited:
Yeah I see how "Nice" this would be.

On the other hand you would have players abusing this left right and centre just to score ez credits.

What players would that be that would abuse such mechanics? - would it be like the ones that tend to go on ganking sprees?
Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Bad actors are why we all can't have nice things - a vicious circle if ever there was one.

The "protect DW3" one is the one that I had a really animated chuckle for.
Yeah, let me think about that one - let's transfer a fortune in Cr (to the kind of player that enjoys performing a gank) and ask them to accompany the expedition of explorers. Errm, let me think about that one some more... <chuckle>

Let me ask, then:
Do you escape from ATR?
Does ATR pose any real risk?

ATR is a bunch of cheaters with shield-killing cheat lasers. Their main purpose is mediating effects on BGS.

What players would that be that would abuse such mechanics? - would it be like the ones that tend to go on ganking sprees?

Bad actors are why we all can't have nice things - a vicious circle if ever there was one.

The "protect DW3" one is the one that I had a really animated chuckle for.
Yeah, let me think about that one - let's transfer a fortune in Cr (to the kind of player that enjoys performing a gank) and ask them to accompany the expedition of explorers. Errm, let me think about that one some more... <chuckle>

Credit farmers and real life crime syndicates.

I humbly suggest folks engineer their skins for additional thickness.

While telling people to thicken their skins is perfectly valid when talking about their reaction to video game death, on the forums it's often hard to pick a side when both are sickeningly condescending about their superiority over the other.

ATR is a bunch of cheaters with shield-killing cheat lasers. Their main purpose is mediating effects on BGS.

Credit farmers and real life crime syndicates.

I've vaguely seen you around and you seem pretty cool, but for some reason I have literally only ever engaged with you while you're talking about credit transfers. Is this some kind of curse?

Most of the historical abuse of credit-sharing and quick moneymaking has been "hey guys here's the latest goldrush here's how to do it quick, I'm putting this vid up on a friday afternoon so the devs won't have a chance to patch it out before the weekend is over" - and most of them have explicitly recommended flipping the boards between solo and private and not going into open for them as you can't guarantee a new instance.

When core mining was added, tutorials were up within the week on how to get the most profit from it.

Other credit-sharing has been people stacking an absolute load of wing missions, completing them in your T9/corvette (take your pick whether you were stacking hauling or combat ones) then inviting a full wing to join as they cash them in.

So..uh. Yeah, I'd say it's a bit of a stretch to imply that gankers would be the ones to overuse/abuse any means of making/sharing/transferring credits considering the moneymakers are all PvE. The biggest exploit I could see from a direct credit transfer being allowed are PvE farmers giving people credits that have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with that paypal invoice you just received wink wink nudge nudge (and that alone is reason enough to not allow it imo, because goldfarmers are a scourge in any game).

Hell, the nearest thing I could think of that comes under ganking behaviour would be pulling people and being like "transfer me 20M credits now or eat a 50M rebuy on that cutter".

While telling people to thicken their skins is perfectly valid when talking about their reaction to video game death, on the forums it's often hard to pick a side when both are sickeningly condescending about their superiority over the other.

I reject that there are any sides. Sure, general themes of agreement present themselves over time, but there are no monoliths here.

Our views are like Commanders... we've all got one. ;)

I reject that there are any sides. Sure, general themes of agreement present themselves over time, but there are no monoliths here.

Our views are like Commanders... we've all got one. ;)

I don't. I stole my account from some tweaker I met in the street. He still plays it sometimes, which is probably why I keep losing friends and materials.

I am aware solo exists, that being said I stand by what I say. This is a multiplayer game.

Perhaps introduce some sort of "Passive Mode" that you can toggle when not in immediate danger in your right hand panel. Kinda like flicking the switch for your crimes. If you want to do some pve activities in open(Limited to missions, exploring or travelling), you are safe from ganking wings. However it would be limited. You would be unable to toggle "Passive Mode" at Community Goals, When conducting BGS or Powerplay activities. You also wouldn't be able to toggle it when you have cargo in your hold (To enable PvP piracy).

In this mode it disables PvP interaction when in open play, but you can still see other players. When someone targets you It would come up after they scanned you or maybe on the radar you would be a different colored hollow square.

I personally feel that a PVE OPEN only mode would reduce the number of players in Open even less than it already is. I also believe FDEV have said that they are not going to be implementing said mode. I much prefer my idea. It's not perfect, but we leave the devs to decide in the long run :)

Blimey, talk about putting the cart before the horse.

Firstly, Elite is a Solo game, and Elite Dangerous is an evolution of Elite that is basically a Solo game with multiplayer added on to it as another layer.

Secondly, the hotspots and activities that you suggest would be the ones were your "Passive Mode" would be disabled are precisely where players would want to be inhabiting an Open PvE mode the very most.
You'll probably come back and say that wouldn't be satisfactory to you, maybe because you have designs on engaging with "weaker" ships, and probably because you have the thought that a CG would be unable to be blockaded, etc...?
In reply, I'd simply remind you that there are already a legion of players using PG and Solo to contribute to the CG you want to blockade. I get it that you probably think that should not be allowed either, but there we are - it is - and strictly by deliberate design - and backed up by years of deliberate consideration on whether that should still be the case or not - and yet it remains this way.
So the conclusion that logically presents itself is that the legion of players who use Solo and PG might emerge from those modes on make up the bulk of any PvE Open mode. Maybe some other players would migrate from Open to PvE Open mode, but only the ones that are not looking for the excitement of running the blockade. The end result would be that the players who remain in Open would be the very ones most prepared for Open mode and the ones who enjoy the excitement of Open mode CG running, etc. so it's the ones that want to be there, rather than the ones that are reluctantly there because of some compromise or lack of awareness.

Help me out here because I'm not seeing the notional downsides (theoretically speaking - I'm not deliberating the technical hurdles here).
The end result would be a potential zeroisation of any threads like these where players who have not foreseen the consequences of being ganked and yet get "blown up for no reason". The players inhabiting Open are the ones that can foresee and are happy with the mode's ecosystem and potential outcomes.
You could also logically expect to zeroise the potential for combat-logging. Remember, the players who chose Open instead of PvE Open would be the ones who are content to choose risk and accept the consequences... Like I said - I'm really not seeing any potential downsides to a PvE Open mode, only benefits for everyone.

Ganksalot has already sneered at the salty players that he thinks good riddance of - surely that also logically extends the same sentiment to anyone who would rather choose a PvE Open. Good Riddance? No? If not, why not?
Is it a Good Riddance, or a "Please don't take the players away that I want to interact with?". Help me out with some logic, because I'm still failing to see the downsides for every single player.
Or is it that you want to see more players when you play?
What about Mobius Group players - they would mirror that same sentiment, so what makes your desire more important than theirs? Is there an element of hypocrisy in the appeal "don't take players away from Open"?

Is it because there would be no "unwilling" players left in Open that makes gankers dead set against the idea of a PvE Open?

Or is there some other tangible reason than someone can elucidate for me, please?

Discuss...

Or is there some other tangible reason than someone can elucidate for me, please?

Discuss...

Don't you play in Private Group and find Open Play really not to your liking? I mean, that's fine, but it makes your elucidations on Open Play really tedious to engage with.

Spend some solid time in Open Play doing what so many of us do and perhaps bridges could be built.

It appears that I am blocked by void, so could somebody please quote my list that confirms gankers put themselves at less risk, always, than the vast majority of other players.
If anything this list only confirms your lack of knowledge and understanding about the game.

While we're at it, let's discuss the mantra that often gets used "Gankers are what make the galaxy Dangerous" (euch)...

The contradiction and hypocrisy contained within that mantra is the rhetorical question that begs itself every time I hear that rubbish:
What makes the galaxy dangerous for the gankers that utter this hollow and contrary mantra?
Answer: Nothing, because they are engineering the game to be as least risky for themselves as possible. What, with that fighter vessel, with all that engineered firepower, and all that engineered shield and all that engineered HRP and all that engineered thrusters and all that engineered SCBs...etc..." that is deliberately ensuring that the galaxy poses as little risk as possible, LOL.
The contradiction and hypocrisy is in your answer though.
Complaining about Darwinism is kind of weird. Engineering the game is not exclusively available to gankers. They are just adapting to the rules and mechanics of the game's environment. They are trying to lower the risk as much as possible because they are factually putting themselves at more risk than you almost all of the time (especially since 3.0 C&P).

Let me ask, then:
Do you escape from ATR?
Yes.
Does ATR pose any real risk?
Yes, otherwise we would not leave (escape) the second ATR drop in the instance...

The money would be the least important aspect of the formula; the meaningful interaction with other players, the context and player driven spin-off story lines is where this idea would shine. The problem here, and why so many PvE players just don't get it, is that they're happy with what insipid PvE drivel there is in this game as opposed to actual content.

Tell me again about the background behind the famous princess's demise.

None of this is difficult to predict - it really is as if none of you have ever played chess before.
Analyse your move and the moves that are then available to your opponent as a direct consequence.

You're right, though - the money is the least important aspect of the formula - it's the gaming experience that matters most - and what players can leverage out of it.

I would present to you my analysis of how offering a fortune in Cr to a player to accompany a DW expedition, a player who doesn't normally do exploration, and has only done any in the past due to being been "forced" to go get 5kylies out - and they hated it so much they immediately self destructed once they reached that magic number... I would present my analysis to you, but I'm hoping that you can figure it out for yourself...

Like I said before - it is because of bad actor players that we all can't have nice things.

Top Bottom