Alert! Please help this PC noob

Hello my name is Darrion Marrow I'm reaching out to any and all who receive this message.
I am very new to PC gaming so new to it I don't even own a PC. For 2 and half years now I have followed elite dangerous. I really want to join the community but I'm having trouble figuring out whether I am able to buy a gaming PC that will run the game with no problem. If so what would y'all recommend?
On the other I have been getting the idea that Im going to have to build a PC myself. If this is the case will anyone give me an idea of what all I need and how much it will cost me in total?
Thank you all for any wisdom you can share.

'I don't even own a PC'

How did you post this message on the forum?

Do you just want a PC for games? That wasn't the justification I gave my parents. Its for Educational purposes.

Well you know that a PC exists and that considers it the premiere platform for 'Playing Video games'. Alternatively have you looked at consoles.

Last edited:
What's your budget, where are you (so we can suggest websites/retailers etc) and how au fait would you be in doing a build?

Cost will vary greatly, depending on what kind of experience you're after. Regular 1080p ("Full HD") on a monitor/TV, higher resolutions or VR.
Also your rough location (Europe / North America / elsewhere) will help folk to point decent PC part and/or pre-built PC sellers.

Five years ago I built the ultimate PC. I've been building custom PCs for many years. It cost $7000,00. Most of it was in Adobe and other products dealing with making a living supporting people who make movies in Hollywood and Atlanta. I did very well. Today it still runs ED even with my latest curved screen at 3440x1440 using GTX 680 cards. No problem always maintaining a constant 100 FPS. I don't need more playing ED. Other games need more because Frontier hasn't gone there.

Any latest greatest computers can run this game. You don't need the best graphic cards currently wanting a fortune to buy them. The ED game will adjust to what you have. Frontier as a business is not going to alienate possibly millions of players given their current level of computer systems. Got the latest widescreen curved monitor? All Frontier does is make the display bigger and add a little real estate on the sides. You are still doing 1920x1080 in a wide angle version. Thus any current computer will work and even a current laptop can do well but laptops are being replaced with smart tablets. Technology moves on. I wonder if Frontier is working on a smart phone version.

If one is concerned buy a gaming computer on Newegg for about $2000,00. Tell them George recommended the purchase. I might get a discount later. Meanwhile you will have years of enjoying ED probably long past when Frontier cannot pay for the servers anymore in the future.

Elite Dangerous is a game. Purchase a computer for so much more than playing ED to make you and those you love better for it. I know being a complete Elite nerd over 35 years it is not an easy decision. But when that gal you love interrupts you wanting affection while you are in the middle of an ED PVP combat situation maybe one should consider which way to go. If one doesn't have a gal might I suggest finding one on the Forum who is much better playing the game than you. Then you have something to talk about in common over dinner.

Real life is so much more important and you thought looking for the best computer to play ED. The game is a computer drug for many so remember there is life when not playing it. One doesn't need the best as Frontier will work with whatever you have. One needs the best dealing with people in your life.

Or send me $16,000 and I will build you the best computer and curved monitors on the planet to play ED. Getting all those pixels to display immediately will probably take two high end PCs working in tandem. So much for relationships. :)

Last edited:
You may want to get some more experience using and servicing PC before building your own from scratch. Having a working PC on hand is also a fairly important too to have on hand while building or servicing one. So, if this is your first PC a prebuilt may be your best option.

Anyway, Elite: Dangerous will run on a pretty wide variety of systems and specifics will be heavily dependent on your specific aims and budget, but in general, GPU/video card will be a more important consideration than CPU. Any modern AMD or Intel hex core, 16GiB of memory, an SSD, and the fastest GPU you can fit into the rest of the budget would be a good place to start.

It depends how much you want a PC? Like the guys say above, almost everything will run Elite Dangerous. If you experience problems with a lower spec machine you can adjust the video quality in Elite's own menus- lower resolution and fewer effects will allow your PC to run faster.

But if all you want to do is actually play ED, then why not just get a console? You can buy a console and a pretty decent TV for less than a medium spec graphics card, much less a full gaming rig. If you already own a console, brilliant, you can pick up Horizons for £20!

Good luck with whatever you decide to buy mate. See you in the Black! 😃

TBH, getting a console might be a sensible choice unless you are dead set on playing Elite in VR.
I have an Xbox One S and it runs Elite ok upscaled at 4k and it should cost 250 $/€ or even less.
No fuss, no issues - but it will cost you a monthy subscription if you want to play in Open.
Still, all in all, a console its cheaper and safer.

It depends how much you want a PC? Like the guys say above, almost everything will run Elite Dangerous. If you experience problems with a lower spec machine you can adjust the video quality in Elite's own menus- lower resolution and fewer effects will allow your PC to run faster.

But if all you want to do is actually play ED, then why not just get a console? You can buy a console and a pretty decent TV for less than a medium spec graphics card, much less a full gaming rig. If you already own a console, brilliant, you can pick up Horizons for £20!

Good luck with whatever you decide to buy mate. See you in the Black! 😃
Thank you for your input sir.
But to be honest I want to play elite dangerous on PC because the amount of immersion that goes with playing elite dangerous on the computer. Using both a hotas system to pilot my ship and a tablet app to adjust my ships power is the endgame here.

TBH, getting a console might be a sensible choice unless you are dead set on playing Elite in VR.
I have an Xbox One S and it runs Elite ok upscaled at 4k and it should cost 250 $/€ or even less.
No fuss, no issues - but it will cost you a monthy subscription if you want to play in Open.
Still, all in all, a console its cheaper and safer.
I come from console gaming and TBH I want what PC gamers have a full on immersive experience with voice attack, a roccat power grid and hotas system. This is why i am making the choice to jump into PC gaming.

Five years ago I built the ultimate PC. I've been building custom PCs for many years. It cost $7000,00. Most of it was in Adobe and other products dealing with making a living supporting people who make movies in Hollywood and Atlanta. I did very well. Today it still runs ED even with my latest curved screen at 3440x1440 using GTX 680 cards. No problem always maintaining a constant 100 FPS. I don't need more playing ED. Other games need more because Frontier hasn't gone there.

Any latest greatest computers can run this game. You don't need the best graphic cards currently wanting a fortune to buy them. The ED game will adjust to what you have. Frontier as a business is not going to alienate possibly millions of players given their current level of computer systems. Got the latest widescreen curved monitor? All Frontier does is make the display bigger and add a little real estate on the sides. You are still doing 1920x1080 in a wide angle version. Thus any current computer will work and even a current laptop can do well but laptops are being replaced with smart tablets. Technology moves on. I wonder if Frontier is working on a smart phone version.

If one is concerned buy a gaming computer on Newegg for about $2000,00. Tell them George recommended the purchase. I might get a discount later. Meanwhile you will have years of enjoying ED probably long past when Frontier cannot pay for the servers anymore in the future.

Elite Dangerous is a game. Purchase a computer for so much more than playing ED to make you and those you love better for it. I know being a complete Elite nerd over 35 years it is not an easy decision. But when that gal you love interrupts you wanting affection while you are in the middle of an ED PVP combat situation maybe one should consider which way to go. If one doesn't have a gal might I suggest finding one on the Forum who is much better playing the game than you. Then you have something to talk about in common over dinner.

Real life is so much more important and you thought looking for the best computer to play ED. The game is a computer drug for many so remember there is life when not playing it. One doesn't need the best as Frontier will work with whatever you have. One needs the best dealing with people in your life.

Or send me $16,000 and I will build you the best computer and curved monitors on the planet to play ED. Getting all those pixels to display immediately will probably take two high end PCs working in tandem. So much for relationships. :)
Thank you so much for your comprehensive insight! I very much wish I had 16,000$ shmeckles lol to throw your way as you seem to know what your doing. A curved screen is the dream because one day I would like to build my very own SIM pod to complete my immersive experience. I do very much appreciate your shared knowledge. I will consider buying a gaming PC and start ED with that.
P. S My Girlfriend is my Co pilot

'I don't even own a PC'

How did you post this message on the forum?

Do you just want a PC for games? That wasn't the justification I gave my parents. Its for Educational purposes.

Well you know that a PC exists and that considers it the premiere platform for 'Playing Video games'. Alternatively have you looked at consoles.
Yea I come from console gaming.
Yes you read correctly I don't own a PC I own a cellphone so that's how I'm able to message in the forum.
I'm batman I have no parents lol.

What's your budget, where are you (so we can suggest websites/retailers etc) and how au fait would you be in doing a build?
Budget oooof 🤤 Umm well TBH I haven't given to much thought into an exact budget but I will say I do get paid decently well and am able to sink some money into a decently enough PC. If perhaps you can give me some suggestions from lowest to highest price?.
Here's some info to help you help me
I live in San Antonio Texas
I am Tech savvy lvl 50 JK but you should get what I mean.
I used to be game Tech at Dave and Busters fixing and maintaining the arcade games so I am able to learn something completely new if need be. I want to experience Elite dangerous immersively as I plan to create a simpod in the future.

Top Bottom