So I’m just gonna say it. I’m using the advanced docking computer as a vet...

After all this time and a few years I’m really excited about the advanced docking computer.

Really excited more than many will admit...there’s maybe 50,000 player who quit simply because of the learning curve of coming and going. So that and the super cruise module are a big deal!

I know people think it’s dumbing down the game but I’m more excited to see others be able to play. Maybe even my real life friends who I gifted the game to will occasionally play.

On PC the noob area is something I’m going to try!!!

I'm all for them. A couple of my RL mates gave up on Elite due to the initial difficulty. Alongside the new training options maybe I can get them to have another go.
I know people are worried that new players have no reason to stop using the computer aids, but the docking computer has existed since day dot and very few of us admit to using that 😁

I'm all for them. A couple of my RL mates gave up on Elite due to the initial difficulty. Alongside the new training options maybe I can get them to have another go.
I know people are worried that new players have no reason to stop using the computer aids, but the docking computer has existed since day dot and very few of us admit to using that 😁

I use the docking computer and I'm not even slightly ashamed.

Going to be using the "enhanced" version and the SC assist, too.

Far less embarrassing than getting your T9 wedged in the slot.

In the original game docking was a pain so I got the docking computer as fast as I could. In this game however, docking is easy and much faster manually. I only fly medium ships though so might be a different story with the larger ships.

Yep will fit Super cruse assist (SCA) and advanced docing computer (ADC) on the TAXI refit for sure...
Explorer phantom will get SCA add on...
A part from them No other ships will be altered...

For me take off and docking are the best parts of the game. Nothing more satisfying than thrusting while spinning your t9 or Corvette around to land on the pad.

I'm happy for slots, I wont be using the new modules thanks.
I'm happy others are happy to use them

I don't think there's anything wrong with this, on the contrary. I've always used docking computers, mainly on my big ships but sometimes on my medium ones, too. Not because I can't dock myself but it can be faster and more efficient (I steer the ship manually through the mail slot then I let it touch down by itself). Also, I can't be bothered with finding the landing pad at a surface settlement. On my biggest ships (possibly the Beluga) I will definitely use the auto-undock feature because why not. If it also helps new players get to grips with the game then it's even better. This is what a lot of players don't understand unfortunately: the more people can enjoy games the better for all of us.

DC user, and soon to be a ADC user here. I couldn't give two hoots if someone disagrees with the use of them or not.

Also had the same thought regarding retention of new 'players' can't be a bad thing.

If you disapprove of DC's and or this new SC assist thing, the soloution is simply don't use them.
it will give you an extra slot if you dont use it
i love getting stuck in the mail slot with my cutter and thinking is this going to cost a rebuy
i use dc on the way in so why not on the way out

I use the current dc a lot, just out of convenience, I'll definitely use the adc on my large ships like the Beluga, Cutter and Type 10.
Cruise assist I'm not sure about yet, I'm doing fine and like flying in sc myself, I'll give it a shot though.

I’ve not used the DC as much since night vision became I thing, I sometimes found the DC handy at dark outposts and surface ports. I’ll still be checking out the new modules, just because they’re new...

But adding the extra class 1 slot(s) to all the ships is a brilliant decision by FD, it’s something that’s been requested for years.

Fitting the ADS & DSS into class 2/3 slots on the DBX/AspX always really irritated me. It’s also good news for mining, some of the small ships just didn’t have the space to neatly fit in all the kit and it’s going to be cute going core mining in an Adder or Viper3. Having even a 1A collector on a ship can be really handy when you stumble on a HGE or blow up an expensive pirate.

The free slots are the best part of this update so far for me.

After all this time and a few years I’m really excited about the advanced docking computer.

Really excited more than many will admit...there’s maybe 50,000 player who quit simply because of the learning curve of coming and going. So that and the super cruise module are a big deal!

I know people think it’s dumbing down the game but I’m more excited to see others be able to play. Maybe even my real life friends who I gifted the game to will occasionally play.

Is that the official name of the system?

The simple fact is. It still wont prepare you for the 'real world'

The bigest clue that new cmdr have bought credits or have other grind for them is that if you have an Anaconda within a short period but don't know what to do with it. That and don't get the reference about Hutton Orbital. There should be certain markers that need to be met to ensure. Cmdrs who genuinely have walked the walked also developed certain traits that sets them apart from those who have taken short cuts.

As others have said, it's a good option for those who want to use it, and I strongly advocated for DC's to handle landings and take-off's last year (to me it just didn't make sense that it'd only be able to do dockings. plus I think it's a ridiculous notion that these stations would let anyone fly their own ships manually given the inherent dangers, but that's a hard sci-fi point, and this is a videogame to be played).

However... Maybe this'll be unfounded, but I just hope all of this doesn't represent a change of design culture of the game. Not all games have to, or need to be, 'accessible' - and it's a complete myth that they do. One of the things I appreciated about Elite was that it required you to learn, to research, to ask questions of other players. It was a challenge, and you were rewarded for it (I've always wanted it to be more of a sim, more complex).

New player areas and almost automated flight and docking/take-off's are okay as additions to the current Elite experience, but if all of this slowly leads to an overall more simple, stripped down, linear experience - perhaps far more evident in a sequel - then these changes will have heralded the death of Elite's character and the onset of conformist accessibility.

This isn't about - ahem... - elitism or cultural gatekeeping, it's about wanting the industry to support wildly differing styles of design and challenge. It's okay for people to enjoy and want uncompromising, complex, and/or challenging games.

So I'm not concerned about these changes at the moment, but I am keeping a beady eye out for the games industry once again doing the 'more accessible = more profit = less character' trajectory.

Go for it. That's the beauty of options, you have a choice.
Have it your way. Wait...(that has something to do with hamburgers I think)

In the original game docking was a pain so I got the docking computer as fast as I could. In this game however, docking is easy and much faster manually. I only fly medium ships though so might be a different story with the larger ships.
It certainly is.

Until I fully appreciated the belly-hang of the Anaconda, I was forever causing damage and fines and irritation from local law enforcement. I will give the advanced docking computer a try owing to my inherent laziness. But I know that I can get a big boat through the slot these days

Top Bottom