Bring back the old honk method and supplement it with the DDS and probes

In unexplored systems the honk doesn't work - so the only way to find a body is by using the FSS or parallax. This breaks a number of gameplay styles and severely hamstrings a number of others.
That is contradictory to what others have said.

Eh, this will keep happening again and again, unless Frontier would solve it by making exploration mechanics better than what we had for every kind of exploration.

I'm in total agreement and haven't played since the ADS was cut from the game.
My comment was more about those who insist on restating their already debunked objections at every possible opportunity, which just starts the recycling of the same points over and over again.

The only noteworthy point of this thread is that it is new people asking about bringing back the ADS, and the same people objecting.

As I understand it from other posts, the old "honk" mechanic is still there, with the monetary awards.
The only changes being, the ADS becoming standard equipment, and [optional] use of the FSS, if you still want to explore the old way. What am I missing? You can't just do a flyby with a DSS installed and have to always use probes?

Many players have said many things... many are opposing opinions.
That's the problem in using what others have said opposed to posting your own findings.

Eh, this will keep happening again and again, unless Frontier would solve it by making exploration mechanics better than what we had for every kind of exploration.
This will keep happening again partly because that's the kind of playerbase we have. You can still find people who are bent about the introduction of Engineering, the lack of Offline mode, and even the fundamental flight model. Nothing ever truly dies here.

If you honk in an explored system, you'll get the same payouts that you got for using the ADS, plus the FSS will auto-resolve anything within 25 Ls, plus all the stars in the system. So the payouts are greater than they were with just the ADS.

If you honk in an unexplored system, the FSS will auto-resolve anything within 25 LS, plus all the stars in the system. All other bodies will not be displayed, so you'll need to either use the FSS to find them, or parallax+proximity-resolve. You don't get paid for anything you can't see.

I've been looking forward to exploring this galaxy after the Chapter Four exploration update, but that abomination of an exploration "mechanic," the FSS, is so utterly unappealing, so terribly tedious, and so soul-crushingly sickening, at least as far as I was concerned, that I would Buckyball it back to the Bubble after DW2 out of sheer ennui. The FSS completely spoils a system for exploration, at least as far as I'm concerned, leaving behind nothing but a shower of "discovered by" tags, credits, or trivia... none of which I care about. I don't want even a trace of that monstrosity aboard my exploration ships. It's bad enough that I can't opt out of getting pin-pointed surface locations from the DSS.

The ADS used to let me explore systems by flying through a system to discover planets visually, and then getting information about them by flying close to them. It let me choose the level of information I wanted, without giving me any unwanted information. I can just use the honk to tell me at least tell me if there's something in the system at all, but not certainty about what's in it, so I can still be surprised by what I find. I could glance at how the bodies really looked in the system map, to let me know if there are potentially any binary+ gas giants in the system (and "money making" planets, of course ;) ), I could do a quick glance to confirm the presence of rare orbital alignments, or a slightly slower scan to get an overview of the visuals of the bodies in the system. I could even use it to spot, at a distance, conditions that are likely to create rare orbital alignments like trojans, planets likely to to have interesting geography for scenic vistas and interesting screen shots, and a slew of phenomena that the FSS would never show without wasting lots time on the utterly unappealing, terribly tedious, soul-crushingly sickening FSS minigame... oh, and I hear it used to work fine in VR. (I only got a VR headset recently, so I don't have personal experience with this.)

And, of course, I could have still foregone it for parallax or ditch the infinite range version if I so desired.

TLDR: I could use it to tell if a system is worth exploring the way I prefer to explore, containing the kinds of things I'm most interested in, without having to waste huge amounts of time on the utterly unappealing, terribly tedious, soul-crushingly sickening FSS, all to find nothing.

I've been out exploring since the gamma pre-release, and after DW2, I'm currently in no hurry to return to it. Frontier admitted that they were well aware that the removal of the ADS would remove a certain style of exploration, which the FSS could still have easily been made more suited for, which is why I would like it if they added it back in as an optional module. As long as there are alternatives and nothing already in the game is removed, again, it's all good.

Credit goes to Darkfyre99, whose opinion post I could easily use for my situation as well. I'm not actually soul-crushingly sickened about the FSS, but I couldn't leave those parts out. The "unappealing" and "tedious" parts still apply.

Still, though, I'd say the priority for exploration should be fixing the serious bugs that have been present since the Chapter Four update. Not just the FSS (and VR), but also the Codex and exploration multicrew.
I believe it's this kind of language that makes people resist what you want. You are basically telling people that what they like is boring, tedious, soul crushing crap, etc etc. It is also a massive put down on the ED devs. Maybe if you could word it better you may get more support. Your choice of course. It doesn't effect me.

I believe it's this kind of language that makes people resist what you want. You are basically telling people that what they like is boring, tedious, soul crushing crap, etc etc. It is also a massive put down on the ED devs. Maybe if you could word it better you may get more support.
You do realise that my post was mostly an edit of Darkfyre99's earlier one in this thread (see here), and I used the exact same words that he had, right?

If you honk in an explored system, you'll get the same payouts that you got for using the ADS, plus the FSS will auto-resolve anything within 25 Ls, plus all the stars in the system. So the payouts are greater than they were with just the ADS.
There's also a bonus applied to the main star (and it can be a considerable one) based on the other bodies and their payouts in the system, plus another for how many planets you scanned. (AFAIK that includes the auto-scanner.)

So yeah, FD have made sure that payouts would be better. Just honking originally wasn't even supposed to pay, but after the reactions of to the first livestream, most of them about how the FSS would kill several types of exploration, they said they heard the feedback and decided to keep payouts for the honk.

Double standards.
No it's not. You want something added into the game that a number of people do not like. You are talking about something that is already in the game and should, if you had any sense want as many people supporting you as possible, including those that don't like the old mechanic and like the new with the hope that FDev will listen. Alienating those people that like the new mechanics is not really the best way about it I would have thought. As I said, your choice at the end of the day.

I think FDev massively underestimated the number of playstyles the FSS would be incompatible with.
I totally agree with you. Imagine if Frontier removed all the regular weapons when they introduced Guardian weapons.. Sure there would be some saying, "But Guardian weapons are better!" However, I think most of us would be rightly upset.

For a game built around choice, I am baffled, in hindsight, at the complete removal of the ADS.

I do think the ADS was too "god mode", but I would have happily accepted infinite range with a time-to-return penalty, like a sonar ping. The further away the planet, the longer it takes to resolve on the system map (I'm okay with stars instantly populating the map). Nothing ridiculous, but perhaps 20-30 seconds for those 500,000 LS planets.

Completely removing it, however... Yeah, probably not a good call on Frontier's part.

I totally agree with you. Imagine if Frontier removed all the regular weapons when they introduced Guardian weapons.. Sure there would be some saying, "But Guardian weapons are better!" However, I think most of us would be rightly upset.

For a game built around choice, I am baffled, in hindsight, at the complete removal of the ADS.

I do think the ADS was too "god mode", but I would have happily accepted infinite range with a time-to-return penalty, like a sonar ping. The further away the planet, the longer it takes to resolve on the system map (I'm okay with stars instantly populating the map). Nothing ridiculous, but perhaps 20-30 seconds for those 500,000 LS planets.

Completely removing it, however... Yeah, probably not a good call on Frontier's part.

There are a small number of people for whom the very existence of an ADS would spoil their enjoyment of the game - I have no idea how that could be the case, but they definitely exist.

My assumption is that somebody senior at FDev falls into that category. That's the only logical explanation for the removal of the ADS and the subsequent silence on the issue.

Edit:
Increased ping time is totally within my set of acceptable and logical compromises.

There are a small number of people for whom the very existence of an ADS would spoil their enjoyment of the game - I have no idea how that could be the case, but they definitely exist..
There are people who said the same thing about supercruise autopilot when I first suggested it over a year ago. I wonder if they all rage-quit after the latest update? Now merging the ADS into the FSS would spoil my gameplay, but thankfully only a few people seem to be pushing for that route.

There are people who said the same thing about supercruise autopilot when I first suggested it over a year ago. I wonder if they all rage-quit after the latest update? Now merging the ADS into the FSS would spoil my gameplay, but thankfully only a few people seem to be pushing for that route.

There's a certain vocal poster who was very much anti-SCA that I've not seen anything from for a while - maybe he took his own advice and quit playing?

There's a certain vocal poster who was very much anti-SCA that I've not seen anything from for a while - maybe he took his own advice and quit playing?
Well I think about half the forum labeled me a heretic and was set to run me out of town for suggesting supercruise autopilot. Then again, the 'regulars' tend to change over time, so I haven't seen a number of the "Autopilot will RUIN the game I tell you, RUIN THE GAME!" proponents from that thread. Someday I'm going to dig that thread up and post a final "Haha, I won!" at the end 😈

Well I think about half the forum labeled me a heretic and was set to run me out of town for suggesting supercruise autopilot. Then again, the 'regulars' tend to change over time, so I haven't seen a number of the "Autopilot will RUIN the game I tell you, RUIN THE GAME!" proponents from that thread. Someday I'm going to dig that thread up and post a final "Haha, I won!" at the end 😈

I'd say it would ruin the game, but FDev already did that 🤣

I'd say it would ruin the game, but FDev already did that 🤣
Oh yeah, I totally and sincerely forgot - YOU were one of them! Well I'm glad you didn't stay rage-quitted over that. The SCA lets me stand up and raise my heart rate, do some chores, etc, so it may literally have saved my life! The old barely-ticking ticker needs more exercise...

Oh yeah, I totally and sincerely forgot - YOU were one of them! Well I'm glad you didn't stay rage-quitted over that. The SCA lets me stand up and raise my heart rate, do some chores, etc, so it may literally have saved my life! The old barely-ticking ticker needs more exercise...

I still think it's a symptom of the dumbing down of ED that's been happening over the last couple of years, and the free slots solution was another misstep, but I've found a way to make exploration difficult so I'm balancing it out 😁

Top Bottom