Cheating in Elite Dangerous

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
The police doesn't search for stolen cars, but they stumble upon them by accident? O rly? How can police stumble upon stolen cars by accident? Must be while they're looking for stolen bicycles... ;)
Yes, good luck with the CSI Miami team searching for your car in Berlin.
The police in Berlin doesn't investigate bicycle theft either. If your bike gets stolen and it has an ID you can give it to the police and they'll inform you when you are lucky and it gets confiscated. That's it. They don't send out Crockett and Tubbs to search it.

Since 2014 German BKA intensified its efforts and developed a national project to fight motor vehicle theft so the do actively search for stolen cars.
Not really. They don't actively search for your individual stolen car. What they are doing is fighting organised gangs and creating statistics where most cars get stolen. This won't get your car back though, unless they stumble upon it by accident.

I didn't suggest anything regarding FD's success rate, but you're completely missing the point.
So your analogy is not only flawed but also pointless since it isn't even an analogy.

I wanted you to try to change your angle and imagine yourself being at the receiving end of an IRL injustice and put yourself in a familiar situation that might happen to you. I am 100% sure that you wouldn't just say "Oh well, I'm sure they do their best."
There are better ways to do that than posting flawed analogies which aren't even related to the point.
If you want me to take cheating seriously, I already do (as seriously as it gets when computer games are involved...). I've played competitive PvP in leagues and tournaments for over 10 years and fought and investigated against lots of cheaters. That's completely unrelated to the point I made though.

Yes, good luck with the CSI Miami team searching for your car in Berlin.
The police in Berlin doesn't investigate bicycle theft either. If your bike gets stolen and it has an ID you can give it to the police and they'll inform you when you are lucky and it gets confiscated. That's it. They don't send out Crockett and Tubbs to search it.

Not really. They don't actively search for your individual stolen car. What they are doing is fighting organised gangs and creating statistics where most cars get stolen. This won't get your car back though, unless they stumble upon it by accident.

So your analogy is not only flawed but also pointless since it isn't even an analogy.

There are better ways to do that than posting flawed analogies which aren't even related to the point.
If you want me to take cheating seriously, I already do (as seriously as it gets when computer games are involved...). I've played competitive PvP in leagues and tournaments for over 10 years and fought and investigated against lots of cheaters. That's completely unrelated to the point I made though.
My analogy is complete and it stands.
FD, just like Berlin police catches only script kiddies that are stupid enough to run the trainer in ways that are easily caught. Not even all of them are caught, because people are complaining that unlimited heatsinks don't work any more.
FD, just like Berlin police have big problems with organised crime organisations (hacker groups) and even after given all evidence is unable to do anything after 6 months of work. If they're actively fighting hackers as you say, then I say yey, way to go. Not a single hacker from the private group was caught and it seems that FD doesn't (or can't, or won't) do anything about it.
And that's the problem we're discussing in this thread.
If you want to discuss how FD actively fights script kiddies, there's Krash's thread.

I did not get that from your analagy at all midian.
It could be a language barrier though.

And (in my case you would be wrong) if the police (horrible analagy) told me they were actively looking for my car but were not able to find it, I would accept that, after all I have no proof they are not "doing their best" I would not be happy but I certainly would not be calling them liars or being belligerent.

The car/police analogy is flawed at best, if you are just asking people to look at it from the other side, just ask.
My apologies mate, I'm a trilingual illiterate.

Babelfisch's post reminds me of an oddly and somewhat tangential occurence a few years ago where both I and a friend reported coming across a stolen and vandalised car which had been abandoned a short way from where I live - it was in a main street near a Police station.
Nothing happened, it sat "undiscovered" for another 6 months. Then there was a funny story in the evening paper about how it had been "discovered" and returned to to the owner - but, she meanwhile had already bought an identical one with the insurance money.
They even had a picture of both cars - the paper strangely didn't print anything on the Police inaction or indeed on the close proximity of the car to the Police station (the friend I mentioned at the start btw actually worked as a sub editor on that very evening paper).
No one - not the Police or the insurance or the press wanted to discuss the problem - sometimes, and indeed I fear more often than not, the powers that be would rather we didn't draw attention to anything that might "inconvenience" the prevailing view of things.
I'm sure Frontier aren't at all like that and will of course gladly welcome a strong light being shone on all these matters, I look forward to a full and frank disclosure of all the methods taken to deal with the miscreants and their eventual fate - perhaps they could do a special article on it in PC gamer ?

Last edited:
You know, I think there's a better way to get back at cheaters than just permabanning them: erase all their progress and send them back to the starting system.

Ranks? Gone. Discoveries? Gone. Faction standing, permits, ships, materials, credits? Gone, gone, gone, gone, gone. If you get caught cheating then you lose everything and have to start over from scratch, with no limit to the number of times you get smacked. Trying to use cheats and hacks to get your stuff back quicker just means you get sent back to LHS 3447 however many times it takes for you to learn your lesson.

As a bonus, the cheaters in question won't have to be named and shamed by Frontier, because I guarantee that a lot of them will be dumb enough to about it her or on Reddit.

You know, I think there's a better way to get back at cheaters than just permabanning them: erase all their progress and send them back to the starting system.

Ranks? Gone. Discoveries? Gone. Faction standing, permits, ships, materials, credits? Gone, gone, gone, gone, gone. If you get caught cheating then you lose everything and have to start over from scratch, with no limit to the number of times you get smacked. Trying to use cheats and hacks to get your stuff back quicker just means you get sent back to LHS 3447 however many times it takes for you to learn your lesson.

As a bonus, the cheaters in question won't have to be named and shamed by Frontier, because I guarantee that a lot of them will be dumb enough to * about it her or on Reddit.
I don't know, it just doesn't seem as fun as just getting rid of them. You just know some people are obsessed enough with the game to buy it multiple times.

My analogy is complete and it stands.
FD, just like Berlin police catches only script kiddies that are stupid enough to run the trainer in ways that are easily caught. Not even all of them are caught, because people are complaining that unlimited heatsinks don't work any more.
FD, just like Berlin police have big problems with organised crime organisations (hacker groups) and even after given all evidence is unable to do anything after 6 months of work.

If they're actively fighting hackers as you say, then I say yey, way to go. Not a single hacker from the private group was caught and it seems that FD doesn't (or can't, or won't) do anything about it.
And that's the problem we're discussing in this thread.
If you want to discuss how FD actively fights script kiddies, there's Krash's thread.
There is no way to know how much effort was required to detect the earlier hacks. AFAIK it also took several months to detect the last popular hack. Implying that the former hack was created by 'script kiddies' while the current is created by 'professionals' is something that lacks any evidence and is just an assumption.

There are several possible conclusions:
a) Reliably detecting hacks involves lots of time and effort.
b) Frontier doesn't put enough resources into it.
c) The current one might be more or less sophisticated than the other hack.

I don't know which conclusion is correct, maybe it's all of them.

I don't know, it just doesn't seem as fun as just getting rid of them. You just know some people are obsessed enough with the game to buy it multiple times.
Since it's cheap as chips, then sure, why not? I have 3. Many of us do it, especially explorers.
There's a cure against that: two-factor authentication tied to your mobile phone.

You catch 2 flies that way. People are asking for years for a total solo mode in which they can't influence the BGS for others and vice versa.

No people were asking for offline mode. Making stuff local would have been the first step for private servers, but I guess you should first be a PvP enthusiast to vouch for that.

Two yearish. I think you were already burnt out when I joined.
I'm asking because offline mode was promised in the kickstarter campaign, but DB later changed his mind. It angered many backers so much that they demanded to be refunded, if I remember correctly the Reddit thread had more than 10,000 posts. Pleas for offline mode didn't stop since then.

Edit: I wasn't burnt, I was disgusted by the PP when it came out.

rings doorbell

Hi! My name is Elder Phisto. Do have a few moments to talk about the majesty of Anarchy?
Still doesn't make any difference.

Other than the fact that you can shoot people without any repercussions, there is 0 change to the system.

Here is what would make a difference:
Anarchy systems become a home to pirates, all sorts of contraband are traded on the open market - no need for black market.
You can buy and sell hot ships and modules are no extra cost. Emphasys is on BUY hot ships!
Illegal goods would be manufactured here and shipped from here to other systems - great risk, great profit!

If any of the Federation, Alliance or Empire would want to do anything about this, they'd have to destroy the ports here.
Players could contribute and build large scale defence installation to fend off invading forces. Or fly the bombers to blow this place to oblivion. Pick your side!

And this wouldn't just happen through a CG aka the Weekly Tick!

There is your living galaxy.

I was eating a sandwich, doing a pretty good job, and it just up and disappeared. I don't want to name and shame but pretty sure it combat logged.
It might have had bad internet. Maybe it was telecommuting from the deep bush in Australia (yes, we have very bad internet here, even Kazakhstan is better off).

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom