How To Build A PvE Combat Ship

ryan_m

Banned
https://coriolis.io/outfit/fer_de_lance?code=A0pktfFalfdpsff32c1b1b1b1b04040400030m03B332C2y60y.Iw18WQ==.Aw18WQ==.H4sIAAAAAAAAA2P6J8bAwPCXFUjwq/z6/1/kDZAQXcDPwCCxgYWBQblAnIHhv8g/P5iiP9kglSB5wYDf//+rgOX/MzAAAP72qWVIAAAA.EweloBhAOEEYBsICmBDA5gG2SMBOCOEKEoA=

I got a grade A FDL and I'm slowly engineering it. I'm about 2 weeks into this game and it's really enjoyable. Feel free to rip my build apart I'll appreciate it ! I love the PA and it's very satisfying hitting those shots ! I over heat alot though!

FDL is a combat-only ship so that cargo rack on the C5 is really limiting the effectiveness of the ship. C4 scoop as well. You want the bi-weave in the c5 slot and 2 SCBs in the c4s. Regular HRPs are better than guardian because guardians only help you against thargoids. Drop the point defense, you should be bugging out before shields drop.

Although in fairness for PvE Ryan's build does work very, very well indeed.

I still prefer the FGS and I'm starting to feel the love for Alliance Challenger, which I realise is the 'wrong' Alliance ship but it works for me!

FDL is a combat-only ship so that cargo rack on the C5 is really limiting the effectiveness of the ship. C4 scoop as well. You want the bi-weave in the c5 slot and 2 SCBs in the c4s. Regular HRPs are better than guardian because guardians only help you against thargoids. Drop the point defense, you should be bugging out before shields drop.

Never thought of shield banks! Thanks I just would like some room for couple for limpets from all the mats these ships drop.

Also alot people say for a good build just use what you like and have fun with.

To that I say I have fun being effective. learning the "meta" first helps me learn, then I make my own specs from there.

Never thought of shield banks! Thanks I just would like some room for couple for limpets from all the mats these ships drop.

Also alot people say for a good build just use what you like and have fun with.

To that I say I have fun being effective. learning the "meta" first helps me learn, then I make my own specs from there.

You can do that, it still functions very well for PvE. My FDL has 2 slots where I often fit a cargo rack and collector limpet controller when I know I'm going to want to be collecting the materials after fights. I just drop an SCB from a size 4 slot and the Interdictor from the size 1 slot. The ship is still quite effective for PvE even with those fitted instead of the combat options normally in the slots.

I found it kind of difficult to manually scoop in the FDL at first; the nose of the FDL seems to hit things if you line up exactly like you would in most other ships. The limpets make it a lot less frustrating. I did force myself to practice without the limpets though and it got much easier over time...just had to learn to line up with the ship pointed just a little above where I would line up in another ship. I use the limpets a lot less often now that I got better at scooping in it...but sometimes, you know....you just want to be a little lazy. imo, that's okay too.

Totally agree with you on that last statement, btw. Just fitting 'whatever is fun' when you are new and still learning is, imo, pretty bad advice. You need to learn what works well so you don't make choices that make the game frustrating rather than fun. The time for experimenting and trying things without any guidance is after you have a good understanding of the basics.

Fly safe commander! o7

ryan_m

Banned
Although in fairness for PvE Ryan's build does work very, very well indeed.

I still prefer the FGS and I'm starting to feel the love for Alliance Challenger, which I realise is the 'wrong' Alliance ship but it works for me!

For PvE there aren't 100% right or wrong ways, just more effective and less effective. Once you're fully engineered, nearly every single ship is a viable combat vessel because of the huge damage and health increases it provides. That being said, almost all the questions I field in Galactic Academy around combat is about "how" to outfit a ship and the theory behind it, which is what drove the guide. Once you learn what works and what doesn't, you can use it on any ship and be successful.

Thanks very much for this. I particularly appreciated the rationale behind why you made each choice, which helps give me enough understanding to vary it for my own purposes. I am still pretty new to combat but learning as I go. I seem to be making progress, though whether that's due to better skills or ship improvements I'm not sure. Most recently I was able to roll up two (low) conflict zones in under an hour without ever being seriously threatened, which is definite progress (when I was starting out I spent a high proportion of my time fleeing or blowing up).

I haven't tried shield cells yet as they seem kind of power hungry and enabling/disabling modules during combat seems micro intensive. However it sounds like the benefit is significant, so I will put it on my to do list to learn.

Thanks to Ryan for this incredibly useful piece of data. Playing the game on a ps4 with regular controllers is not so much fun when your trying to use fixed mounts.
As you said, this is a starting point for beginners. I love the combination of rapid fire mc's with multi-servos and overcharged cannons.
But the Rest didn't worked out that well.
Re-engineer my combat-ready Python now ... .
But hey, that's part of the game.

Its a bit FDL bias, but I agree with the thinking that you've put into this and applaud the effort.

Ulitmate PvE build is basically an engineered Corvette in most situations that can tank the damage and deal out the pain whilst being able to recover its shields and not run out of ammo or energy.

Its a bit FDL bias, but I agree with the thinking that you've put into this and applaud the effort.

Ulitmate PvE build is basically an engineered Corvette in most situations that can tank the damage and deal out the pain whilst being able to recover its shields and not run out of ammo or energy.
Even if that were true, a guide designed for more of a beginner to the game certainly should not point to a ship that is locked behind a reputation grind.

I used this guide when I was brand new to the game, and it helped me a lot. Now, with a few months under my built, I'm working towards those bigger ships that were out of my reach at the time (just got a Cutter for armed trade running yesterday and am working toward the Corvette now). And what I learned when I was newer and relying on this guide continues to be useful as I buy and build other types of ships.

You can do that, it still functions very well for PvE. My FDL has 2 slots where I often fit a cargo rack and collector limpet controller when I know I'm going to want to be collecting the materials after fights. I just drop an SCB from a size 4 slot and the Interdictor from the size 1 slot. The ship is still quite effective for PvE even with those fitted instead of the combat options normally in the slots.

I found it kind of difficult to manually scoop in the FDL at first; the nose of the FDL seems to hit things if you line up exactly like you would in most other ships. The limpets make it a lot less frustrating. I did force myself to practice without the limpets though and it got much easier over time...just had to learn to line up with the ship pointed just a little above where I would line up in another ship. I use the limpets a lot less often now that I got better at scooping in it...but sometimes, you know....you just want to be a little lazy. imo, that's okay too.

Totally agree with you on that last statement, btw. Just fitting 'whatever is fun' when you are new and still learning is, imo, pretty bad advice. You need to learn what works well so you don't make choices that make the game frustrating rather than fun. The time for experimenting and trying things without any guidance is after you have a good understanding of the basics.

Fly safe commander! o7

In the FdL the cockpit is high and pretty far back the cargo scoop is underneath and behind your huge gun, this is not ideal.

I find the best thing to do when scooping is as soon as I have locked on target and got that target in front of me I stop looking out of the canopy and fly towards the target just using the scoop screen beside the radar. The second best tip I have is don't scoop in long nosed ships something like the Chieftain scoops magnificently.

But basically stop using the force and use the tech, after all unlike Luke we don't have the scriptwriters on our side.

I find the best thing to do when scooping is as soon as I have locked on target and got that target in front of me I stop looking out of the canopy and fly towards the target just using the scoop screen beside the radar. The second best tip I have is don't scoop in long nosed ships something like the Chieftain scoops magnificently.

I have gotten a lot better at manually scooping in it since my original post; no limpets installed for the last 2 ranks on my quest to unlock Lori Jameson (which I finished 2 days ago \o/ ). This advice is solid, and what I had ended up figuring out on my own...still have to point just a tiny bit "above" the item I'm trying to pick up though or the nose of the ship hits it. Once close enough that it is under the ship, then I can align normally. It was that bit about the ship hitting it that was giving me fits initially.

Turns out to have been great practicing in the FDL for more than just the FDL as well. I got a Cutter yesterday and scooping in it is similiarly impacted by the nose of the ship. My previous FDL scooping prepared me well though and I hit up like 20 or 30 HGE's while flying the Cutter around to get it engineered. I probably should have just put a collector limpet controller in it when I started the route...but I didn't. 😣

I do still like using limpets though if I'm going to do a lot of gathering in space...not because I can't scoop, but because I'm lazy. :D

I have gotten a lot better at manually scooping in it since my original post; no limpets installed for the last 2 ranks on my quest to unlock Lori Jameson (which I finished 2 days ago \o/ ). This advice is solid, and what I had ended up figuring out on my own...still have to point just a tiny bit "above" the item I'm trying to pick up though or the nose of the ship hits it. Once close enough that it is under the ship, then I can align normally. It was that bit about the ship hitting it that was giving me fits initially.

Turns out to have been great practicing in the FDL for more than just the FDL as well. I got a Cutter yesterday and scooping in it is similiarly impacted by the nose of the ship. My previous FDL scooping prepared me well though and I hit up like 20 or 30 HGE's while flying the Cutter around to get it engineered. I probably should have just put a collector limpet controller in it when I started the route...but I didn't. 😣

I do still like using limpets though if I'm going to do a lot of gathering in space...not because I can't scoop, but because I'm lazy. :D

I am a great fan of limpets.

The worst ship for hitting things while scooping is the Mamba where they seem to hit something between the two pointy bits where there is nothing to hit.

ryan_m

Banned

Ultimate PvE build is almost certainly a Conda. Better DPS, great hardpoint convergence, significantly better jump range, and similar survivability.

Just looking at engineering some long range lasers and noticed the experimental options of Phasing Sequence and Inertial Impact
has anyone tried these and if so how do they stack up against each other?

Top Bottom