The silent minelauncher nerf

Ofcourse, this is also a request to revert the latest minelauncher nerf. A 5 second arming time is ridiculous. At the same time, seeker missiles have no real arming time and are guided.

However, what I am especially mad about is the lack of information. There is no notification about this in the latest patch notes and most importnatly, no request on the forums or a discussion about it. I can't remember anyone saying that minelaunchers were OP and needed an arming time nerf or something similar whereas I see alot of people claiming that seekers, healing beams and other things are OP.
Mines already have just a lifespawn of 1-2 minutes (I don't remember correctly) so why does it need an arming time on top now? What should the compensation for this nerf be?
So many questions and no answers. Especially not from FDev. This is absolute B-S and nonesense. Completely arbitrary decision making in (un-)balancing.

And what makes it even worse, the game is full of bugs and whenever I start Elite I now get a warning in my browser that some .dll files should be missing. However, the game starts up just fine.
Why I recognize these issues just now? Because today I started Elite for the first time after almost 2 months.

So please, do me this favor and rewamp this unrequested minelauncher nerf. And before you even think about it, don't re-implement the drag munitions anti-boost-effect. It hasn't been requested either. Thanks.

Last edited:
I can't remember ever being hit by a mine, never mind to the extent where I've thought "Oh wow, this is OP". Hopefully this was just a two minute job since there's surely more high profile things to look at.

I may be wrong, but I’m pretty sure mines have always had an arming time. Supposed to keep you from point blanking them and blowing yourself up too.

I just wish NPC’s didn’t have a base 100% evade rate.

So mines take 5 seconds to arm, to be honest it is so long since I used them I can't remember.
Seeker missiles take about 5-10 seconds to lock to a target so are as bad or worse.

And what makes it even worse, the game is full of bugs and whenever I start Elite I now get a warning in my browser that some .dll files should be missing. However, the game starts up just fines.

That's hardly likely to be an E: D issue. More likely your system is screwed and needs repair.

Any arming time should be to protect the launching ship from unintended self-detonation. Two seconds should be more than enough. Five is seriously excessive and, with the limited lifetime the OP points out, makes them useless for most purposes outside of catching the odd SLF that isn't paying attention.

At the same time, seeker missiles have no real arming time.

Seekers have an arming time (half a second or so) that keeps them from being effective at point blank ranges; inside this range they'll hit, but they won't explode and they do almost no damage.

I though it was due to Cmdrs in fast ships dive bombing larger ships with rapid fire cascade & Shift-lock Canister mines

Without the ability to be used this way (which was quite difficult to do well), mines have almost no niche.

Any arming time should be to protect the launching ship from unintended self-detonation. Two seconds should be more than enough. Five is seriously excessive and, with the limited lifetime the OP points out, makes them useless for most purposes outside of catching the odd SLF that isn't paying attention.

Even one second is more than enough. I'd prefare half a second. Better me being inside the explosion radius and dealing damage than dealing no damage at all.

Even one second is more than enough. I'd prefare half a second. Better me being inside the explosion radius and dealing damage than dealing no damage at all.

Attacking with a durable ship, sure, but some delay is needed to use mines defensively, and a half second delay means they won't even clear some larger ships at moderate speed when fired from some hardpoints. I think 1-2 seconds arming time would be the best balance.

They don't have an arming time for the Belugas I chase around and destroy. They just spit them out like hotcakes and I run into them. They explode right away.

+1

I built a mine layer ship, then was thoroughly disappointed by the silly 5 second timer.

If you're being chased at the average speed of 450m/s, it means for mines to be effective, your attacker needs to be 2.25+km behind you, and have reactions about 2000% slower than the average middle aged human... :unsure:

Top Bottom