Elite on the Rift S

my biggest problem is getting the audio from the s and my desktop speakers both working at the same time,i have the setting set correctly but it does not always work like it should

Still having trouble with the mic cutting out in a high res - sometimes after 10 mins and sometimes after 1hr or more - sometimes not at all.
Has anybody else had this issue?

Hmmmmm, Just experienced the head position glitch many have noted in the thread. tried to duplicate the jump by a process of elimination because it seemed random but connected to head position and thought that perhaps a camera is being tricked by a light source,cable moving across its field of vision. Something shinny, the height placement and location of the hand controllers etc... Experienced none of these issues last night but today I optimized my Nvidia settings for ED where last night I used a customized more detailed setting. Will check drivers and go back to the custom settings and see. Now on a different note why did OCULUS remove the very handy IPD graphic tool from being available with the S? Really liked its simplicity and ease of use. Must say I really more or less have winged it with the S with nothing more than my handy calipers from the garage LOL!!

Hmmmmm, Just experienced the head position glitch many have noted in the thread. tried to duplicate the jump by a process of elimination because it seemed random but connected to head position and thought that perhaps a camera is being tricked by a light source,cable moving across its field of vision. Something shinny, the height placement and location of the hand controllers etc... Experienced none of these issues last night but today I optimized my Nvidia settings for ED where last night I used a customized more detailed setting. Will check drivers and go back to the custom settings and see. Now on a different note why did OCULUS remove the very handy IPD graphic tool from being available with the S? Really liked its simplicity and ease of use. Must say I really more or less have winged it with the S with nothing more than my handy calipers from the garage LOL!!
I can say that I've stopped getting the tracking loss entirely. What's changed since then: First I set the OCServer process priority to above normal which made it very rare. Then the firmware update came from Oculus, if that changed anything, I didn't notice. Then I upgraded my CPU from i5-6400 to i7-7700K and now it's totally gone. My CPU usage went from near 100% all the time to around 30% peaking at 40 or 50. No need to prioritize process anymore; I've not gotten the head tracking loss a single time since then.

I know others have said they don't have 100% CPU usage on their systems and were still having the issue, so I assume it's still got multiple causes.

Then about the IPD graphic tool, I read about that tool and I was also disappointed that there didn't seem to be any tool to help us get the IPD right. But further reading points out to me that the Rift S IPD adjustment isn't the same thing as the previous versions since the lenses don't move. All it's doing is changing the distance between the images reproduced on the display panels, so I think it wouldn't work the same way with that tool anyway. Seems like much more of a "soft IPD" that impacts the realism of the depth, rather than the actual center focus point.
Still, it seems like they should give us some tool to help us get this right rather than guessing at an adjustment that doesn't (for me, at least) have any obvious impact on the image. I couldn't really tell what difference I should be looking for in the image from one extreme setting to the other, so I just measured my eyes, set the number and forgot about it.

I can say that I've stopped getting the tracking loss entirely. What's changed since then: First I set the OCServer process priority to above normal which made it very rare. Then the firmware update came from Oculus, if that changed anything, I didn't notice. Then I upgraded my CPU from i5-6400 to i7-7700K and now it's totally gone. My CPU usage went from near 100% all the time to around 30% peaking at 40 or 50. No need to prioritize process anymore; I've not gotten the head tracking loss a single time since then.
Nice catch, and it poses an interesting question, what hardware is these people on that keep experiencing issues?
I have not had a single tracking issue in the S, even the vibrating chair is gone compared the CV1, I think, I haven't played too much elite lately.
But I'm running an i7 8700k OC to a mere 4.7ghz on all threads, dont really think the OC matters much here.

Thinking you start to only see issues when CPU is pegged is another old hangup from 2d rendering, to keep things running smoothly I have found anything reaching a total load across CPU's of 70% load you start seeing longer frame-times, dropping frames at around 80% is practically guaranteed, above this you will experience severe problems, and features like ASW and spacewarp will trigger, regardless of wether being in auto or off, and this feature seems designed to offload primarily off the GPU, and adds more load to the CPU, so if the CPU is the bottleneck then you are on a fast slippery road down to an unplayable mess.

This is what I noticed with the i7 4790k, even though the cpu might not break the 85% mark, it was completely unable to hold even 45fps in spacewarp, and my gpu in these situations could hit as low as <25% utilisation, depending on settings.

Nice catch, and it poses an interesting question, what hardware is these people on that keep experiencing issues?
I have not had a single tracking issue in the S, even the vibrating chair is gone compared the CV1, I think, I haven't played too much elite lately.
But I'm running an i7 8700k OC to a mere 4.7ghz on all threads, dont really think the OC matters much here.

Thinking you start to only see issues when CPU is pegged is another old hangup from 2d rendering, to keep things running smoothly I have found anything reaching a total load across CPU's of 70% load you start seeing longer frame-times, dropping frames at around 80% is practically guaranteed, above this you will experience severe problems, and features like ASW and spacewarp will trigger, regardless of wether being in auto or off, and this feature seems designed to offload primarily off the GPU, and adds more load to the CPU, so if the CPU is the bottleneck then you are on a fast slippery road down to an unplayable mess.

This is what I noticed with the i7 4790k, even though the cpu might not break the 85% mark, it was completely unable to hold even 45fps in spacewarp, and my gpu in these situations could hit as low as <25% utilisation, depending on settings.
And then last night I had a tracking glitch come back, but just for a second when I first started up; I think my computer may have tried to do something in the background. It was an unusual play time for me, just hopped in to finish a mission before it's timer ran out.
I didn't have any monitoring running since I'm feeling done with this all, but I think it must have been a momentary CPU spike. For me, this seems to always be the case with this glitch.
I feel like a lot could be done by Oculus updating it's software so that it demands a slightly higher priority for it's server. Then if you spike it's everything else that will be let to hang for a moment. I feel like in VR the priority needs to be stability of the position of the HMD, even if it's dropping frames.

Im sure I am not the only one who tried to generate a ticket with OCULUS,..But wow thats one crazy mixed up site. Generated one and then was instantaneously transported to a page with a link that the ticket site was relocated and had to do it again,...LOL!!!
I really like the clarity of this new product but wow is the only humorous thing I can say about the support behind it.....Gonna try a flight sim today and give Elite a break....Just curious if its the product, the game or a combination of both. o7 gang,...Im sure this hiccup is just that and we are back to the pleasure we all enjoy back out in the void.

Been using it for a while now. And i have to say i'm really happy with my S. I have found that the frame pacing in Elite is a lot more comfortable with the S. Could be that the 80hz is a bit easier for my computer to keep steady. But especially on planet surfaces i now get smooth movement even when asw kicks inn. With the CV1 i was plagued by "double vision" when i traveled at speed, like the game was rendering the frames in the wrong order or kept skipping frames. This happended both with asw and without it.

Spesifically it was the surface and anything outside of the cockpit (and especially in the SRV) that showed this behaviour on the CV1. On the S its gone. :D

Last edited:

So I think this scratches my VR itch.

I gave up on the Rift CV1 about 9 months ago and have been playing on a 43" 4K monitor. It looks awesome, but now that I'm back from DW2 and started really playing again, I started missing the VR experience. My original plan was to wait another 12-18 months and hope for a new Gen2 wider FOV HMD, and the gfx card to support it, come out for Xmas 2020, and for the ED update. Then I'd finally replace my old i7-4790k/GTX-1080 system.

But then I started getting the itch to pick up one of these newer/cheaper HMDs as a stop gap, until I read your post, Tor. I just checked the Oculus site and they recommend an i5-4590/GTX-1060, which gives still me hope. So does my old system have any hope of running ED on a Rift S? Anybody? Maybe their system requirements are just for Lucky's Tale.

I gave up on the Rift CV1 about 9 months ago and have been playing on a 43" 4K monitor. It looks awesome, but now that I'm back from DW2 and started really playing again, I started missing the VR experience. My original plan was to wait another 12-18 months and hope for a new Gen2 wider FOV HMD, and the gfx card to support it, come out for Xmas 2020, and for the ED update. Then I'd finally replace my old i7-4790k/GTX-1080 system.

But then I started getting the itch to pick up one of these newer/cheaper HMDs as a stop gap, until I read your post, Tor. I just checked the Oculus site and they recommend an i5-4590/GTX-1060, which gives still me hope. So does my old system have any hope of running ED on a Rift S? Anybody? Maybe their system requirements are just for Lucky's Tale.

Those sys requirements on Oculus are for sure based on the kinds of very simple visuals that a lot of the basic, made for VR "experiences" require. It's a minimum.
I, too, saw those specs and thought that my i5-6400 would be up to it for rift S and I preordered. Pared with a 1660ti the GPU was below 50% while the CPU was capping at 100%. Elite is not light on the CPU.
I upgraded to a 7700K and all is well now. I am getting smooth gameplay (in ASW) with med/high settings and a slight super sample.CPU usually around 50% and I'm still loading up the GPU because the settings would need to drop to unacceptable levels to do true 80fps. ASW looks good to me in this game. It feels very smooth.

Your 4790k looks to be around 32% faster than my old CPU so... Maybe halfway between my old and new? It's hard to say.
I think you'd probably be ok as the 1080 will be faster than my GPU. maybe even able to keep out of ASW with the right settings but the CPU is probably fast enough to handle it, even if the usage goes high.

Using wmr Lenovo hmd my i5 4690k even with an overclock cant make frame time for elite so is always below 90fps. Its flat out st 100% with the gpu at 60% I think on hmd 1.25, but cant remember. Someone else on the forum upgraded from my i5 to your i7 and didnt notice much of a difference... but I cant find the post.

In my opinion it runs beat saber etc fine, but elite is too much for the CPU and j find myself not really playing elite when i pick up the headset. It is however playable. Note that others play elite on slower hardware than we have and enjoy it, everyone's experience is different.

Edit found some links.

Last edited:
Well I must say that the S is a very nice upgrade but my rig was beginning to show its age trying to use it in Elite. The i5 was excellent for a long time and though it works well its a far cry from the gen 7, 8 and 9 chips Ive seen running along with some SSDs and the new VR cards out there. Going to donate the old rift and rig to my son and try out a new i7 rig with a 2080 card. Don't know how good bad or ugly its going to be but this month Im almost 2 years in remission and have become compulsive on everything I want these days,..LOL!
Keeps me rather broke but I also smile more.....Also I am envious of some of your rigs out there but share the love for this crazy game. Have a great 4th gang!

Then I upgraded my CPU from i5-6400 to i7-7700K and now it's totally gone.

Thanks for the research on this, but I'm forced to disagree. This isn't a CPU issue, it's a Frontier issue.

My rig:
  • i5 6600K no-OC
  • GTX 2080
  • 32 GB of RAM
I've now tested on:
  • FSX with FlyInsideX
  • X-Plane 11 VR
  • IL-2 VR (Aside: Wow! Gorgeous in VR!)
  • European Truck Simulator 2
  • Flyinside native VR simulator
...and none of them have the head position issue that Elite demonstrates on every play.

To reiterate, the head position problem only occurs in Elite: Dangerous, and not on any other simulator title. This speaks to the issue being with Elite, not with the Rift-S headset.

For the record, my old CV-1 and Vive ran Elite perfectly on this rig, even with a 980TI (albeit with lowered graphic settings.)

I'm frustrated, as Elite is my go-to VR experience. Having been "grounded" for coming on a month now has been aggravating. And yes, I've tried reloading the software from scratch. No joy.

Thanks for the research on this, but I'm forced to disagree. This isn't a CPU issue, it's a Frontier issue.

My rig:
  • i5 6600K no-OC
  • GTX 2080
  • 32 GB of RAM
I've now tested on:
  • FSX with FlyInsideX
  • X-Plane 11 VR
  • IL-2 VR (Aside: Wow! Gorgeous in VR!)
  • European Truck Simulator 2
  • Flyinside native VR simulator
...and none of them have the head position issue that Elite demonstrates on every play.

To reiterate, the head position problem only occurs in Elite: Dangerous, and not on any other simulator title. This speaks to the issue being with Elite, not with the Rift-S headset.

For the record, my old CV-1 and Vive ran Elite perfectly on this rig, even with a 980TI (albeit with lowered graphic settings.)

I'm frustrated, as Elite is my go-to VR experience. Having been "grounded" for coming on a month now has been aggravating. And yes, I've tried reloading the software from scratch. No joy.
Yeah, so, I agree that I've only every seen this head position issue on ED. But for me it seems to completely tied to CPU overload and it pretty well completely disappeared when I updated to a suitable i7 CPU. Looks like you have a 4 thread CPU also... Have you checked to see if any of those other sim titles are pinning your CPU? Is ED pinning it?
I'm just trying to help. ED is very CPU heavy and that snowballs in VR because of how to draw call cycle can't overlap with the GPU. I also see you have a nasty fast GPU, which will put even more load on your CPU. In VR and and ED especially it seems that it's more important to balance.
Other's seem to have the issue with no CPU problem so I don't think it's the whole story but...

I also see you have a nasty fast GPU, which will put even more load on your CPU. In VR and and ED especially it seems that it's more important to balance.
Other's seem to have the issue with no CPU problem so I don't think it's the whole story but...

Irrelevant, the GPU is frame limited by the VR headset itself to 80fps maximum, any extra performance would only show up as lower utilisation.

I don't think an off center HMD reset is a CPU issue, I certainly never had that back even when I was on an i5 4690K.
At this point, I would look towards making sure you are actually using the HMD position reset in game, and if you are, I'd look at perhaps a corrupted file or something.

Ok, if you think it’s irrelevant, I was just suggesting you check the cpu usage. It’s much higher in VR.
I’m not having the problem anymore after upgrading my cpu and usage went from 100% to 40 or so. Nothing else changed so just offering something to check out.

Or maybe there’s a misunderstanding; the HMD reset always put it back in the right place, the issue was that it would often flash grey-ish and move the position, causing me to need to reset.
But again, doesn’t really happen anymore now that I’m not maxing my CPU.

No.
What you where saying is that he was sporting a too fast GPU and that would somehow saturate his cpu with drawcalls.

If you are running without a frame limiter as is possible in 2d, that could lead to some odd behaviour and extra CPU load.
Vr however is never not limited, while in use at least. So having a fast GPU is never detrimental.

I'm in complete agreement Elite is capable to leverage a multi core cpu.
Most VR games benefit greatly from powerful CPU.
Not to mention the S is having some odd USB issues just in general.

What you describe certainly could have been a CPU, USB, saturation issue.
I'm not entirely certain what Avindair was meaning so that could be a misunderstanding on my end.
But elite has it's own zero position for VR.
Most cockpit sims do that are completely unrelated to your room scale calibration.
So if it centers off center then that's an odd problem, or more likely a corrupt file somewhere in elite.
If drifts off center then I agree it could be a cpu saturation issue or USB issue.

Again there is some weirdness with the S and usb's.
I just updated to win10 1903 and the S stopped working when plugged into my expansion board.
Uninstalled and reinstalled various drivers But still the S only work on my mobo usb3 port now.
The expansion card works fine for a bunch of other peripherals though. And after fiddling with drivers in device manager it almost started working but Oculus is now telling me it recommends updating drivers for usb.
There are no newer drivers..

Might be time for an os re-install.

Again there is some weirdness with the S and usb's.
I just updated to win10 1903 and the S stopped working when plugged into my expansion board.
Uninstalled and reinstalled various drivers But still the S only work on my mobo usb3 port now.
The expansion card works fine for a bunch of other peripherals though. And after fiddling with drivers in device manager it almost started working but Oculus is now telling me it recommends updating drivers for usb.
There are no newer drivers..

Might be time for an os re-install.
I was so scared to update to 1903 on my rig. Thankfully everything worked after updating.

And yes the S seems really picky on USB ports. My headset stopped working and just showed gray static from its cameras when i first set it up. Swapped to a different USB 3.0 port, and it has been working perfectly every since.

I was so scared to update to 1903 on my rig. Thankfully everything worked after updating.

And yes the S seems really picky on USB ports. My headset stopped working and just showed gray static from its cameras when i first set it up. Swapped to a different USB 3.0 port, and it has been working perfectly every since.

I had massive problems with the Rift-S at first. It failed to register at the display port, regardless of which one i chose (needed to replug after each boot of the comp), lost USB connection on startup, or staying black, even if Oculus Home showed working connection. I decided to wait for the next update and if it did not change return the device. Luckily, the firmware-update solved the connection issues fully, along with some minor issues in Oculus Home and touch controller tracking problems during play sessions. Since then, i am having a blast with the Rift-S, without any issues at all :).

Top Bottom