Challenge Mode - Events, animal trade, genetics

I was just thinking about what I would love to see in an ongoing challenge mode.
I imagine the system could have different settings, like, on easy, it would not be a big problem to get the animals you want and you can decide how often you will face random events or how common genetic diseases are.

I would love to see random events now and then.

Like, some poachers got arrested and the police found three baby tigers [random animal] in their backyard. If you provide them shelter, you will get the animals and improve your reputation. If you don’t want to take them in, you will lose some reputation.

Or, another zoo asks for your help, because they want to rebuild their elephant [random animal] enclosure. They ask, if the elephants can stay in your zoo for X-amount of time. You will get money and reputation if you take them in.

Or, a wolf [random local animal] is found injured and therefore can’t survive in the wild anymore…
(you get the idea, I guess ^^).

It would also be nice to have a realistic zoo community ongoing. You can’t just go in the build-menu and buy x lions or sell y elephants. But there are a lot of different zoos around, who will sell or buy specific animals.
The animals available will change over time. Not too fast, so you can plan ahead (or even make contracts with other zoos, like, they will take your male-lion-cub when he is grown up into a juvenile, so you can breed the lions without worrying).
Of course, there could also be some programs to reintroduce specific animals in the wild. They might even want you to breed a specific animal on a regular basis.

You could even implement big family trees for each animal. So if you want to breed your elephant you can’t just adopt a second elephant from the same zoo, because they might only be able to sell you a related elephant. Keeping up genetic diversity is very important in modern zoos.

Which brings me to the next point:
We haven’t heard to much about the genetic system so far, but I would love to see a broad spectrum of genes available, including some recessive or dominant ones for specific colours or illnesses.
Plus, it would be nice, if you would get most of the genes from the parents, but every animal also gets some genes randomized. So new fur-patterns, illnesses or preferences can occur in every generation.

Recessive genes can provide an intense challenge, if you for example want to breed white tigers. If you relay to much on inbreeding, some nasty recessive illnesses might occur and the local animal welfare organisation might shut your breeding program down and confiscate your animals.
(Of course, you can't release something like a white tiger in the wild - or an animal, that likes people to much, so that could be another thing to consider).

I personally don't like it too much, if the whole managing part of a game is more or less just about the money.
I like to play a campaign now and than, but most of the time, I hate it, when I'm limited trough money. I want to build great enclosures without waiting three years in between... and unfortunatly, I haven't seen many games where you have to do more than wait x amount of time to earn money.
I would love to play some kind of challange mode but I would rather play plain sandbox mode than anything purely money-related.
Well, I think all of my points in here could just be normal game features even for sandbox mode (just set everything on easy...), but well...

What would you like to see in a challenge mode?

Some great ideas here!

(y)

As far as the genetic system goes, I want animals to have genetics that would transfer between animals when breeding, but I won't like it when I am deciding which gene a animal should get, like in JWE. Because that would be playing god, and is not something that would happen in Zoo's.

off-topic: All white tigers carry a bad gene. That is why zoo's stop breeding them, as they are all the result of inbreeding.

Last edited:
I loved JWEvolution but the thing that I don't like is that at the start you have not so much money but then, when you finish the challenge and start to manage your park, you have something like 140 millions dollars when a medium sized dinosaur cost 700 thousand and the T-Rex only 2 or 3 millions... this way, to have the king is not a trophy or something valuable... you can have 2, 3, 4, all the ones you want.
Yes - and this is the core-problem I have with money.

It’s a simple equation.
“How much money do you earn?” VS “How much money do you spend?”

The game is perfect, if both sides are somewhat equal: Money is still an important factor for you to consider, but it’s not limiting your creativity too much.
I would like that.
But… how much money you spend depends on your playing style...
I have never met a game, where I am in this "perfect middle" in the long run.

If you are a fast or just very detailed builder, you will soon struggle with money and you will have to wait or make compromises. Shortly, you will be heavily limited, the game will stop being fun.

If you are a slow builder, you will maybe run in some challenges at first – when you build more to get the zoo started. But then you spend a lot of time watching animals, working on managing details etc. – and soon you will have way more money than you are able to spend. Shortly, money will stop being an important factor for you.

I think it's realistic honestly, struggling with finance early on in the game and then as time goes on being able to afford more expensive developments. That's exactly how small zoos grow into big zoos! And I'm sure the game will take a lenient approach on it, but you'd be surprised how little income to the zoo actually goes towards developing the park further. The vast majority goes into maintenance like staff wages, electricity costs, care of the animals, running of guest services; and most of what's left usually gets donated to conservation!

It would be interesting to see what kind of ways we can get money through donations. Maybe a little morbid but a lot of the hefty donations that come into the zoo I work at come from people dedicating money to their charity through their wills, and the rest through animal adoption packages.

Regardless - I would LOVE a challenge mode with random challenges like that, like the ones that used to pop up in challenge mode in zoo tycoon 2, and to a lesser extent zoo tycoon 2013. I would be a little disappointed if the only way to get set challenges would be via a storyline/campaign mode; I want to be faced with those random challenges in my personal zoo builds too! It's part of the fun of it for me, not just getting to build the zoo, whether it impacts my creativity or not. I'm with you on not just wanting to be limited by money - if the game doesn't give me a challenge, I usually just end up finding ways to set them for myself.

I am all for the idea of an extended global zoo community - I actually think it would be fantastic if this included other player's zoos, so you could, for example, have a breeding program linked with your friend's zoo. Having a kind of global studbook like they do in zoos in real life would be a lot of fun, in my opinion, to manage and mess around with. Since we know inbreeding will be an issue, we have to get those new genetics in from somewhere, right?

I am all for the idea of an extended global zoo community - I actually think it would be fantastic if this included other player's zoos, so you could, for example, have a breeding program linked with your friend's zoo. Having a kind of global studbook like they do in zoos in real life would be a lot of fun, in my opinion, to manage and mess around with. Since we know inbreeding will be an issue, we have to get those new genetics in from somewhere, right?
omg I love this idea!

I think including all other PZ-player would be to much, but a few friends or some small groups... :love:

omg I love this idea!

I think including all other PZ-player would be to much, but a few friends or some small groups... :love:

Oh definitely, I think it would be a bit manic, otherwise! xD
But, it would be fun to set up a sort of mini zoo association with other players - like using steam groups, for example? People did this for ZT2, I believe, and it was a lot of fun "trading" animals and resources between zoos. I would love to be able to do that again here <3

This is realistic and good. What I meant is that I don't like (when I finished my park and I need only to manage it, with maybe some renovations) to have so so much money that I have difficulties to spend. At that point all the things lose interest and appeal because you can have all that you want without waiting. This, in game and even in real life.
Ah, I understand you better! Yes, that is right, I agree. I hope that the costs of ongoing management are enough to keep this in check :)
Maybe there'll be advertising and conservation costs you can set higher to increase the challenge, but will increase your reputation, maybe?
For example investing in breeding programmes will increase breeding success/genetic health of your animals, but will take a larger chunk of your money every month.
IRL zoos donate a lot of money to charity so maybe that'll be an option. Like, there aren't a lot of drawbacks to not donating anything, but if you do it would boost your reputation or something to that effect.

I think the challenge mode should be very hard and intransigent. I think it should be very, very difficult. Generally speaking, our community is divided into lovely constructors who spend most of their time in sandbox mode and in economy fans. The challenge mode should do for us (the economy fans), and the sandbox mode for everyone who wants to build beautifully.

The challenge mode in Zoo Tycoon 2 was nice. I set up a water park themed park at the beginning I was forced quite a lot, but right now I have exactly $ 900000. I don't sell animals because I don't need money, I even let their offspring into nature. I do very rare shows. I only do one show in 4-5 days. I don't think of profit in any way, but it is still essential to make money for continuity. I do my best to make the animals happy, especially my killer whales. I am very curious about the challenge mode of planet zoo. players should be able to choose the options they want. As you know in Jurassic World Evolution, we could arrange everything. in particular, I don't want every same type of animals to have the same price. for example, all zt2 orcs were $ 50000.but in planetary zoo, for example, a healthy orca and an unhealthy orca should not be the same. Anyway, let's wait and see ... and yes, for this to happen, we must first have a marine mania DLC :D I trust frontier and the planet zoo team. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom