What will you use your carrier for?

I am wondering how a single player will use their carrier.
What's the difference in storing your ships in a station, compared to storing them in your carrier? There is always a station within a minute or two.
Ok, you can jump your carrier. But how many of your ships do you need to use in the system you jumped to?
When I jump to a system, it's for a purpose. So I take the ship suitable for that purpose. I don't need to have all my other ships there too.
Plus I should think it would be costly to jump a carrier, using up hard earned mats you collected.
I am sure I must be missing something. But I don't see how useful they will be.

Not sure I will buy one. I can see the squadron I'm in buying one. But no point in having my own.

I'm surprised everyone can have one. I was expecting them to be linked to squadrons to be honest. Sort or makes more sense.

Early doors, fdev mentioned certain squadron ranks will be able to jump and outfit to carrier. I guess this has all changed.

Oh well let's hope the 1 carrier per instance and the thousands of carriers which will exist dont ruin the game.

Last edited:

Deleted member 38366

D
I'd move it into Deep Space with a specific fleet of Ships and then combine Exploration with Mining.

• Explore a radius ~500LY all around it
  • go Mining in the best areas discovered and grab that as a Bonus
  • after an area is done, it's time to move on to the next spot

With the latest info being released about Carriers in the last couple days, I propose to use MY Carrier as a forward base to repair, fuel, etcetera during my explorations -
Repair, exchanging modules, or ships during system explores are a PIA when you have to return 500+Ly to a station for just that one or 2 chores and retrace your steps to the POI that required the refit -
* Like losing an SRV, Having several replacements available on the Carrier would simplify things -
Having a small ship, like an Adder, for planetary explorations without having to engineer the inadequate original FSD or Thrusters, of that ship which can land basically anywhere due to its size, would reduce the primary costs of storing discovered materials or items -
After filling all the storage pods of the Carrier, load up and return to the bubble. -
I expect that over time other items discovered, (or implemented into the game), will become quite valuable to the bubble as MetaAlloys have.

I am wondering how a single player will use their carrier.
What's the difference in storing your ships in a station, compared to storing them in your carrier? There is always a station within a minute or two.

It depends on how FCs are implemented and how they work.

And not every system has stations with repair and or rearm - this is useful for fighting wars.
Not every system has stations with large landing pads. A FC could be used as a storage for commodities and a medium sized ship to load the carrier with commodities that then are sold somewhere else.

Some players just want their own private home station.

Getting it stuck in the letterbox.
You will not be able to land a Carrier at a station due to it's size - it has a double line of 4 landing pads as an example, - the landing area inside a station will not permit that type of landing without a complete rework of that or any station - I expect that you will park in orbit around the target star and transport goods to the nearest station since the Carrier is indestructible as of the latest information

I'm hoping.... really, REALLY hoping that Carriers have module storage like any station. This is by far the most important aspect of Carriers for me. If we can store our ships but no modules, all the mining I've been doing will be for nothing but extra rebuys.

I'm a module swapper. I only have about 3 or 4 ships built for certain roles, out of the 13 ships in my personal fleet.

I will use my Carrier to take my ships anywhere I want, without having to return to my home station because I need to swap a module or two for any specific activity. No more worrying about putting fuel scoops on combat ships.

1 - Move all your ships and stored modules (assume storing ships and modules is possible) to a different location in one go. Especially useful if that location is outside the main bubble.
2 - Reach places previously impossible to get to using the 500ly jump range.
3 - The most important part, it will depend on whatever the "support ships" will be able to do.
4 - Support group play by providing a mobile base available to all.
(....)

I'm hoping.... really, REALLY hoping that Carriers have module storage like any station. This is by far the most important aspect of Carriers for me. If we can store our ships but no modules, all the mining I've been doing will be for nothing but extra rebuys.

It will be hugely more useful if it has Outfitting and Shipyard services, even if just for the storage options, but neither of those are mentioned in the trailer.
I don't expect it will have cargo storage, which is completely illogical. It might have a commodities market instead which is even more illogical 100kly from the bubble -- how would it determine its prices?

So I take 16 ships to a VO mining site. How many tonnes of VO can I bring home? I think I will only be able to fill the hold of one of the ships. (A squadron could fill all of the ships.)

It seems to me that carriers will either break the game or display its logical flaws in sharp contrast.

Last edited:
Top Bottom