What will you use your carrier for?

It will be hugely more useful if it has Outfitting and Shipyard services, even if just for the storage options, but neither of those are mentioned in the trailer.
I don't expect it will have cargo storage, which is completely illogical. It might have a commodities market instead which is even more illogical 100kly from the bubble -- how would it determine its prices?

So I take 16 ships to a VO mining site. How many tonnes of VO can I bring home? I think I will only be able to fill the hold of one of the ships. (A squadron could fill all of the ships.)

I'm assuming it will have Shipyard and Outfitting services because it was mentioned that Carriers of different types will have different modules, like exploration type modules for an exploration class Carrier.
Still, if it doesn't have module storage I'm out.

I'd move it into Deep Space with a specific fleet of Ships and then combine Exploration with Mining.

• Explore a radius ~500LY all around it
  • go Mining in the best areas discovered and grab that as a Bonus
  • after an area is done, it's time to move on to the next spot
This.

With the latest info being released about Carriers in the last couple days, I propose to use MY Carrier as a forward base to repair, fuel, etcetera during my explorations -
Repair, exchanging modules, or ships during system explores are a PIA when you have to return 500+Ly to a station for just that one or 2 chores and retrace your steps to the POI that required the refit -
* Like losing an SRV, Having several replacements available on the Carrier would simplify things -
Having a small ship, like an Adder, for planetary explorations without having to engineer the inadequate original FSD or Thrusters, of that ship which can land basically anywhere due to its size, would reduce the primary costs of storing discovered materials or items -
After filling all the storage pods of the Carrier, load up and return to the bubble. -
I expect that over time other items discovered, (or implemented into the game), will become quite valuable to the bubble as MetaAlloys have.
Also this.

Being able mine way out side the bubble and fill a carrier up with goodies and ship it home sounds awesome. Also it would give squadrons something to do. Some people assigned to mining resources other to collecting fuel and others to fleet defense. I can imagine that a mining spec fleet carrier will look like very juicy target to pirates, players and NPCs alike.

Being able mine way out side the bubble and fill a carrier up with goodies and ship it home sounds awesome. Also it would give squadrons something to do. Some people assigned to mining resources other to collecting fuel and others to fleet defense. I can imagine that a mining spec fleet carrier will look like very juicy target to pirates, players and NPCs alike.
Except that I don't see us being able to "fill up a carrier" in any meaningful way. That would go against previous decisions of FDev that they said were made for game balance reasons. It's a more powerful version of cargo storage.

The only thing that might be possible is a Commodities Market. To make that sensible the market would have to be trading with other pilots. Which means that they have to land on your carrier. In the real world that would open you up to a huge piracy risk, but most of those options don't exist in the game. It also means that the carrier must exist in all instances. Fallout 76 doesn't do that but, if you set up shop out in the black, people have got to be able to trust that your shop is going to be there. They are not going to just come across it and they are not going to travel a thousand lightyears on the off-chance that you are instanced with them.

It would be incredibly cool to have a network of markets widely separated out in the galaxy. You would be able to make a good living by buying VO from miners and shipping them back to the bubble. Fallout 76 does something similar where you can put vending terminals in your base to sell your spare gear to other players. I think it would be necessary for you to be able to define which goods were available for sale or purchase and to set prices. Otherwise other players would wreck your economy. If it worked as part of the BGS the prices would be horribly skewed and selling cargo to it out in space, bringing it back to the bubble and buying the cargo back to sell it in the bubble would mean you would lose money to your own ship, which is stupid.

Edit: It's not just commodities. A player could make money by offering refuel/rearm/repair facilities outside the bubble.

Last edited:
Provided this is feasible, use it as a safe harbour to hand in combat bonds in a system I'm at war in, and confidently attack the enemy without that ridiculous fear of "Oh no, my enemy hates me, now I can't fight the war anymore!"

I'll paint mine with the invisible paintjob and go ramming gankers. When I get tired of that I'll find that secret engineer that can build a class 128A fuel scoop for it, and then use it for orbiting the galaxy. She's probably located close to Raxxla, so she shouldn't be that hard to find. 500 ly boosted using a neutron star (scooping all of it) should get us to Andromeda, and I have a few things I need to check out there, before I hang up my Remlok for good ;)

Move out into the black and live a space hobo life. I can offer the fuel rats a home away from home.

What'll be interesting is where you will be able to buy fleet carriers from. Can you buy one at Colonia? Explorer's Anchorage?

Except that I don't see us being able to "fill up a carrier" in any meaningful way. That would go against previous decisions of FDev that they said were made for game balance reasons. It's a more powerful version of cargo storage.

The only thing that might be possible is a Commodities Market. To make that sensible the market would have to be trading with other pilots. Which means that they have to land on your carrier. In the real world that would open you up to a huge piracy risk, but most of those options don't exist in the game. It also means that the carrier must exist in all instances. Fallout 76 doesn't do that but, if you set up shop out in the black, people have got to be able to trust that your shop is going to be there. They are not going to just come across it and they are not going to travel a thousand lightyears on the off-chance that you are instanced with them.

It would be incredibly cool to have a network of markets widely separated out in the galaxy. You would be able to make a good living by buying VO from miners and shipping them back to the bubble. Fallout 76 does something similar where you can put vending terminals in your base to sell your spare gear to other players. I think it would be necessary for you to be able to define which goods were available for sale or purchase and to set prices. Otherwise other players would wreck your economy. If it worked as part of the BGS the prices would be horribly skewed and selling cargo to it out in space, bringing it back to the bubble and buying the cargo back to sell it in the bubble would mean you would lose money to your own ship, which is stupid.

Edit: It's not just commodities. A player could make money by offering refuel/rearm/repair facilities outside the bubble.

I still don't think they will be persistant as the multiplayer part is P2P and the carrier data would have to be stored serverside somehow.

Sadly, after initial hype (which was brief, tbh) my innate pesimism started to picture all things that FDEVs may (and probably will) implement to make Fleet Carries a horrible experience.

"Available to CMDRs"
everyone: WEEEE
me: you personally are required to have that money, can't fund together with friends since there is no P2P trading

"Purchase will require large amount of money"
everyone: uh.. weee...?
me: couple of B, probably 2 digit so essentially available to 2.3% top wealthy players.

As we at the price - I see great problem with pricing. Make it cost few B and seeing one will be a sight as there wouldn't be many CMDRs who could afford it. Make it relatively "cheap", around 1B and everyone will have one. I get FC, you get FC, everyone get FC. My pesimism leans toward it being extremely expensive.

"16 landing pads available (8xL - 4xM - 4xS)"
everyone: WEEEE
me: probably no ship storage so one can have max 16 ships, less if bigger, docked at a time

"500 LYs per jump, requires exclusive fuel"
everyone: weeee
me: Hello grind, my old friend, I've come to talk with you again... Second main expectged drawback - probably high fuel demand per jump with supply being scarse and behind multi-RNG layering. To get this fuel you need to find system in proper state (probably not due to exploration reason), proper planet type, with proper rings, with proper reserves, must have proper hotspot and then you need proper scanner to identify proper shape and hope for it to contain what you are looking for.

I haven't completed my fleet yet, not to mention to properly outfit it. Fleet carriers? Not enough data to fully plan future use.

If no one else in my not so active and probably not very wealthy squadron gets one, I'll probably use mine to support the expansion efforts of our PMF. Not all of those systems have convenient stations and the ability to park a mobile base within easy docking distance will make wars and such much more pleasant. If I'm lucky enough to have someone else's carrier doing all that, I'm going to use my own as an exploration base camp. My favorite stomping grounds is about 10 or 11 carrier jumps away, so it should be manageable even if I have to carry jumponium from Bubble with a Type-9 for every jump. In position I will use it as a base for my obsession to get the nearby area completely explored, or just as a waypoint for trips elsewhere in the galaxy.

Last edited:
I find these fleet carriers intriguing and even cool, but I don't know if I'll ever own one. I've been playing the game two years and "only" have 700 million credits and a very modest if not small fleet. It took me six months to go from Sidewinder to Anaconda while it took others during that time two weeks. In other words, I play for fun, not for credits, the latter being a happy but slow side-effect.

So yeah, I'll have to admire everyone else's fleet carriers. Hopefully people using these for exploration will "share" their services with poor explorers like me! Assuming anybody on PS4 an afford one, LOL.

Speaking of PS4, how do carriers work across platforms and game modes? Do I need to be instanced with one to see one? Will they magically disappear when the owner logs off or leaves it to use a "regular" ship?

I still don't think they will be persistant as the multiplayer part is P2P and the carrier data would have to be stored serverside somehow.

Errr....storing that data would be trivial, and tons of data is stored on the server anyway. Literally all of the codex discovery records are on the server and relevant information (who discovered what) is up-loaded to you when you jump to a system. Having the server 'know' that a carrier of type XZY, owned by steve jobs, with permissions ABC is the same. It'll just be loaded when you jump into an instance.

I will get by without any fleet carrier unless fleet carrier gives me STORAGE SPACE for internals.

I don't know why FD gives us those novelty things like fleet carriers when we still don't have a proper inventory menu, module sorting and pitiful storage space for 120 modules. Why do we have to buy tons of Vipers (some buy Condas for storage) and use them as storage lots? That is ridiculous. Clumsy navigation menu, no jump/fuel calculation, no system hyperlinking so we have to type manually all those funny name bloouy-thoo lol 3a34-1d23, come on...

I only hope they will be PRICEY enough, perhaps a reasonable sum 10 billion credits? Individual buyers of course, but something like shared effort(some sort of mini-community goal or squadron goal) is not possible in current state of the game. Would like to see these ships really special, not something you can buy after a few runs with stoopid void opals.

@Shiro Akai
Well said (y)

I will try to crash my fleet carrier right into an other ones carrier and see what happens...

just kiddin, luckyly for everyone I most probably will never be rich enough to purchase one.

On a more serious note, I definitly will take a ride on someone elses carrier, maybe the AXI squadron carrier, if such a thing shall exist.

Go in to open and moor an indestructible ship in front of a station. ;)
Hopefully FD are considering all eventualities to prevent them being an issue.

Hmm. I don't plan to get a carrier for myself. Not worth the grind for me, i think.

On the other hand, the carrier might make me change squadron. I currently am in a squadron of people i really like. Most of them also active on the forum. But my online times and theirs seem to rarely overlap and most of the squadrons activities are not of my interest.

So indeed, i wish you could be in more than one squadron, just as many newer online games (e.g. GW2 and ESO, although they are not that new any more) allow you to be in more than one guild, as the carrier might encourage me to find a squadron which has timing and activities better suitable to mine and i can just tag along wherever they go by having my ship on the carrier when i log out.

Not enough info yet. If I can store my entire 25 ship fleet and my modules in it, I'm going to make it my home and base of operations, moving it wherever I want to go. It could make it particularly easy to get the entire fleet to Colonia, without having to pay 1.5x the fleet cost in transfer fees.

Top Bottom