Hotspots are a joke!

Core mining is the wrong technique for platinum. You should be using conventional laser mining. I'm mining in a double painite hotspot and in each 90 minute visit, I see maybe three rocks with cores, while I mine nearly 600T of painite with my lasers.

Many of the rocks I mine have platinum in even though it's not even a platinum hotspot.

So do you aim for the actual overlap, or just target one of the two overlapping hotspots?

I target one of the two (usually the one closest to the planet so I know I'm only going in one direction) and fly somewhere in between them. I've never had a problem with that method.

So do you aim for the actual overlap, or just target one of the two overlapping hotspots?

I personally just manually aim between the hot spots without either being targetted. This worked really well in my prior Painite mining location. However, I've done the exact same technique in another location - where the hot spots are very close together - and the yields have been far far worse than I'm used to. Perhaps just RNG luck? I've been to this new location three times, and all have been quite poor. However, I keep moving, keep popping off prospectors and mine what I can. Having an extra Limpet Controller - I swapped out my Fuel Scoop at a nearby station - certainly helps speed things up.

Edit: still collected just over 512 tonnes in a little over two hours last night though. However, it was a little frustrating due to the constant duff asteroids with zero Painite content.

Scoob.

I'm starting to think that's just an excuse from those who haven't mastered how to spot the deep core asteroids. But I don't mine that much, so maybe it's a thing.
I don't mine so much too, but I find that being able to see fissures in the asteroids with night vision is more useful than using the Pulsewave Analyzer.
That scanner is drunker than an Irish Man locked in a pub on St. Patrick day!

(as they say: Screenshot or it never existed!)

(sorry I don't have a screenshot of a drunk Irish man, so maybe it never existed!)

Last edited:
Wouldn't you just mine the Platinum in tons of regular roids of that Platinum hotspot and be done with it? Asking for a friend.

P.S.: are there even Platinum cores?
Yes there are. I have found loads of them over the last few evenings. Problem is I'm actually looking for gold for Lei Cheung!

Last edited:
Oooh, they're out there alright. This is what you're looking for:

View attachment 141596

I don't deep core mine. However I can say 100% that I've never encountered an asteroid that looks like that! I have encountered ones with Core deposits though, as identified by a Prospector, but they're just regular asteroid shapes, albeit with visible surface features when you're up close.

I would like to try DC mining still, but it seems a bit more faf lol. Mining is my excuse to chill and catch up on Youtube, not actively play the game... :)

Scoob.

I personally just manually aim between the hot spots without either being targetted. This worked really well in my prior Painite mining location. However, I've done the exact same technique in another location - where the hot spots are very close together - and the yields have been far far worse than I'm used to. Perhaps just RNG luck? I've been to this new location three times, and all have been quite poor. However, I keep moving, keep popping off prospectors and mine what I can. Having an extra Limpet Controller - I swapped out my Fuel Scoop at a nearby station - certainly helps speed things up.

this doesn't make much sense from a coding point of view. i'll consider this 'double hotspot' thing a bubble myth if there isn't any consistent test data to back this up. just human brains imagining patterns out of random noise. we are pattern seeking animals, so we find them anywhere, even where they don't exist. just look at the clouds.

Deleted member 38366

D
Platinum Mining (just as Painite Mining) isn't about the cores.

It's about every ~5th-10th Asteroid or so (luck may vary) being a nice Platinum Asteroid that can be strip-mined the classic way. With some potential Surface and SubSurface Bonus deposits.

So just prospect & mine the classic way and the Platinum hold should fill very quickly. Seeing a Core Asteroid then is merely a Bonus.

I don't deep core mine. However I can say 100% that I've never encountered an asteroid that looks like that! I have encountered ones with Core deposits though, as identified by a Prospector, but they're just regular asteroid shapes, albeit with visible surface features when you're up close.

I would like to try DC mining still, but it seems a bit more faf lol. Mining is my excuse to chill and catch up on Youtube, not actively play the game... :)

Scoob.

I always hated regular mining, but I have taken to deep core mining like a junkie to super-crack.

If you are experiencing a situation where you are not finding asteroids with cores, when you were finding them before .... log out ... take a break for 10 minutes ... then come back. The RNG resets, probably more in your favor the next time. Then you wonder why you waited so long to do this before :cautious:

Maybe... but I have never had any problems, with doing it this way... and the numbers speak for them self's!

You are OK with your tactic but you can do core mining for VO and LTD in any system with Icy rings with VO Hotspots, and efficiently. I have tried and thats a fact.

this doesn't make much sense from a coding point of view. i'll consider this 'double hotspot' thing a bubble myth if there isn't any consistent test data to back this up. just human brains imagining patterns out of random noise. we are pattern seeking animals, so we find them anywhere, even where they don't exist. just look at the clouds.

Not quite sure what you mean. From a coding perspective there are areas that are procedurally coded to have a higher than average content of a certain thing. Having two overlap, depending on how it's coded, makes it fully possible to have even more "good" asteroids.

From my personal experience, I've seen many more Painite baring Asteroids yielding decent amounts since I started targetting double hot spots. No doubt there at all. However, there is still a degree of RNG - well, likely procedural "luck" so to speak - of overall richness depending where you drop into the area.

Like I said, in my prior Double Painite location the asteroids were crazy rich. In this one they've been "ok" but quite poor relatively speaking. Compared to when I used to mine before - not Painite back then - even a poor double hot spot yields hugely more useful asteroids.

Note: the two hot spots for Painite that I visit, one is far apart, overlapping about 50% (estimate) and dropping between the two has proven very rich indeed. The second see both hot spots right on top of each other, overlapping about 80% and dropping in between these two, or nearer one than the other, isn't giving the same level of yields. However, I can still fill up 512 tonnes in a little over two hours including travel time. So, that's under two hours actively mining.

At the end of the day I'm seeing:

Go to single hot spot - get reasonable levels of a given resource.

Go to a double hot spot - get more, sometime much more, of a given resource.

There's a degree of luck where you drop in of course. I've had fantastic starts to a mining run, with rich asteroid after rich asteroid, never a dud. Then it dries up a little, then there's another area of rich asteroids.

Regardless, I'm doing far better going to hot spots than not, and I'm do better still aiming for doubles.

Scoob.

Just to add to the previous replies...

There's 2 different things you should think about.

Firstly, you want to arrive in an area where the hotspots overlap.
The game populates hotspots with appropriate 'roids so in an overlap there's two (or more) sets of appropriate 'roids occupying the same space and there's twice as many useful 'roids to shoot at.
Sometimes you can even recognise this happening, and you'll see patterns of 'roids repeated, offset from each other.

Secondly, once you've arrived in the overlap, you want to pick something as a target to fly towards.
You don't want to just fly around randomly 'cos you'll end up going in circles and re-treading the same ground so it's best to pick something specific and fly toward it.
The hotspots are thousands of miles wide so the hotspot POI, itself, is probably at least several hundred km away (cos you've arrived at the overlap between hotspots) so it's usually easiest to target the hotspot POI and fly toward it.
Alternatively, you can target the planet, itself, and fly toward that.
You'll probably only cover a couple of hundred km during a mining session so there's very little danger of you flying outside of the overlap between hotspots unless it's a really, really, tiny overlap - in which case you probably want to look for a site with a bigger overlap.

From what I've read, this only applies to laser-mining.
If you're planning on DC mining, apparently overlaps don't yield a higher likelihood of finding DC 'roids.
This is just what I've read, though, rather than something I've verified for myself.

Also, the original criteria for finding a mining site still seem to apply. Ideally, you'll want to find overlapping hotspots in a ring with Pristine or, at least, Major reserves.

Also don't forget the ring has different layers of rock density to start with...
if you miss aim at your High density part of the ring in the hotspot , youll also end up with less mining rocks because the ring density of the rocks is lower this also stops the double painite hot spot generating more rocks with painite as the density limit is fixed...

Maybe... but I have never had any problems, with doing it this way... and the numbers speak for them self's!
Since you seem a little slow on the uptake, core mining functions outside the normal reserve system. That means that only mining pristine rings is simply putting a large limiting factor on where you can mine and how close to the max profitability market you are with your full cargo bay of loot.
Try to go and mine for cores in a depleted ring. You will notice a large number of hotspots in most, as many people are still spreading misinformation about pristine rings being best for all mining. Once you understand and accept that core mining can be done anywhere there are rings with hotspots, your efficiency with skyrocket.
Also, the argument that pristine mining is fine because you are showing results gets a bit rediculous when you realize that ALL hotspots are the same... Your logic is flawed by a confirmation bias. Try a depleted ring, you'll see.

Since you seem a little slow on the uptake, core mining functions outside the normal reserve system. That means that only mining pristine rings is simply putting a large limiting factor on where you can mine and how close to the max profitability market you are with your full cargo bay of loot.
Try to go and mine for cores in a depleted ring. You will notice a large number of hotspots in most, as many people are still spreading misinformation about pristine rings being best for all mining. Once you understand and accept that core mining can be done anywhere there are rings with hotspots, your efficiency with skyrocket.
Also, the argument that pristine mining is fine because you are showing results gets a bit rediculous when you realize that ALL hotspots are the same... Your logic is flawed by a confirmation bias. Try a depleted ring, you'll see.
I have and that is why I am saying what works for me....
the hot spots do deplete over time, so I just use what works for me take it or leave it. Your call

As for Slow on the uptake? who the f*** are you?

I have and that is why I am saying what works for me....
the hot spots do deplete over time, so I just use what works for me take it or leave it. Your call

As for Slow on the uptake? who the f*** are you?
You are going around giving advice that is incorrect and, even after someone kindly corrected you, didn't bother to address said misinformation.
Frontier themselves told everyone that hotspot core mining exists apart from ring reserves. You do what works for you, why change? Yes hotspots deplete, what does that have to do with reserves? My call is for you to refrain from spreading misinformation to players who are learning how mining works. Oh, and I am Phil.

You are going around giving advice that is incorrect and, even after someone kindly corrected you, didn't bother to address said misinformation.
Frontier themselves told everyone that hotspot core mining exists apart from ring reserves. You do what works for you, why change? Yes hotspots deplete, what does that have to do with reserves? My call is for you to refrain from spreading misinformation to players who are learning how mining works. Oh, and I am Phil.
As I stated it's what works for me, take it or leave it...
one more for the ignore list!

Top Bottom