PS4 ED set up

I have played elite dangerous for a while and stopped, but now I am getting back into it.

I am looking to understand what the best hotas is what is the best seat to fit the hotas etc.

Would love to know your set ups and which you feel are the best ones to go with.

Regards
Julian

Your choice is pretty easy as up until recently only this HOTAS worked on the PS4

I believe that Hori make one now as well but it's expensive doesn't seem to get great reviews. Here's the forum thread for it

Update info on Hori hotas stick..

Hori hotas is DS4 emulation NOT a stand alone USB controller, they did this to ensure compliance with game software that does not support the Thrustmaster hotas 4. which is many titles that don't support the hotas 4 and only support DS4..

The Hori hotas requires FULL Manual remaping in the Elite dangers controlls as the Hori hotas emulates DS4 flying from d pad and face button controlls from Ace combat 7...
Things the reviewers never did was remap the cotrolls to Ace combats config in the Fdev ED controlls manualy... The default Ace combat config in ED controlls will be rubbish as the reviews point out.. as ED does not have a remap made for the hori as it just emulates the DS4, so the game has no idea a DS4 is not connected same as when you connect a Hori advanced controller to PS4 they are all seen as a DS4... The large dead zone size issues are realy big, but this is an issue on all hori DS4 emulation unless hori specificly rebuild the analogue stick... like they did with there PS4 specific FPS controller to remove dead zone issue... Have to small a dead zone causes drift issues on many third part controllers... (As it does on the hotas 4 which can generate dead zone issues)

The hotas 4 is a dedicated USB controller for flight games... You realy don't have much choice in this hotas even with the Quality controll issues that causes the drift issue on the hotas 4... The Game will not except any other hotas... This is a limitation of "Elite dangerous" ONLY other titles like "war thunder" have the fuller USB driver support for many more hotas surported loaded with that title...

Hi Jenko

T Flight HOTAS user here.

I have a normal office chair with height adjustable arms, and a HOTAS bench that folds out from underneath my office desk.

I may have misappropriated a fold out monitor arm and attached a length of wood to it to achieve this, for £8.99 off Amazon (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B079L5HL9H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )

I may have also superglued velcro strips to that bit of wood, and the underside of both HOTAS components, so that when I place the HOTAS on the bench, it does not move.

I may also have two attachable legs that screw into the underside of the bench to provide stability.

The length of wood may or may not have had a past life as the front of a set of drawers.
The attachable legs may or may not be a wooden curtain pole carefully sawn in half, with double headed screws inserted into one end of each 'leg'.

Total cost : about £15.
Setting up from retracted: about 20 seconds.
Flying a Krait Phantom with headphones on, lights down and DIY 'flight deck' assembled: priceless!

A normal sofa with a dinner tray balanced on your lap ?
Or buy dinner tray table with legs that go under and Up for on sofa usage... also hold the drinks bottle and USB keyboard for text entry in to galaxy map..
Duct tape to hold the Hotas to the tray...

Last edited:
Ok what about seats to accommodate the hotas ?
it would be great to see peoples set up with photos

I have a wheel stand Pro which I made a platform from MDF which the HOTAS sits on. I then sit on a bean bag due to the TV sitting on a low ‘Lack’ unit from Ikea, see pic...

It’s great because I can fit my iPad in between to use for EDSM and Inara etc...

Currently on my second TFlight 4, whilst its not the best HOTAS out there (for one, the cable between throttle and stick is way too short) It does enhance the game. I've currently got mine mounted to an old office chair (using VESA pole mounting brackets, some steel plates and industrial strength velcro)....works like a dream :)

Currently on my second TFlight 4, whilst its not the best HOTAS out there (for one, the cable between throttle and stick is way too short) It does enhance the game. I've currently got mine mounted to an old office chair (using VESA pole mounting brackets, some steel plates and industrial strength velcro)....works like a dream :)

View attachment 141763

If you take your Hotas to any reputable Computer Repair Shop, they can extend the cable for you, they used a ethernet cable for mine, worked like a dream, ponly cost a Fiver as well.

I tried doing it myself....unfortunately fat fingers and zero patience are not a good combo.

I'll definitely try your suggestion

I sit my hotas on an old poker table, keyboard in between the controls and TFRP pedals underneath. It takes a couple of minutes to set up but it gives me somewhere convenient to put my cuppa on while I play.

(Edit ignore the baby toys in the background, it's one of the joys of sharing a house with a 2 year old lol)

Attachments

• IMG-20190829-WA0001-2016x1134.jpeg
    IMG-20190829-WA0001-2016x1134.jpeg
    582.7 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
I sit my hotas on an old poker table, keyboard in between the controls and TFRP pedals underneath. It takes a couple of minutes to set up but it gives me somewhere convenient to put my cuppa on while I play.

(Edit ignore the baby toys in the background, it's one of the joys of sharing a house with a 2 year old lol)

That a mechanical keyboard? I'm currently using a Teknet bluetooth keyboard....but want something a bit more substantial.

As for the kids toys, I share the house with a 6yo....doesn't get any easier , just more expensive :D

Top Bottom