[Video] Open letter from community to Elite Dangerous

Zac Antonaci

Head of Communications
Frontier
Zac's first substantive sentence basically tells us they don't agree and believe they're doing everything as right as possible.

This is going to be an uphill grind for sure.

From HERE

Ahh that's not really true. It says that regarding future roadmap discussions, I feel we do communicate significantly far in advance. I then explained the length of time that we've looked ahead for each season/era. But I also mention that there are areas that we got wrong and should have done better.

Ahh that's not really true. It says that regarding future roadmap discussions, I feel we do communicate significantly far in advance. I then explained the length of time that we've looked ahead for each season/era. But I also mention that there are areas that we got wrong and should have done better.

WHOA, hold on..

I'm not about to be taken out of context here because you do come off as NOT believing mistakes were made EXCEPT that when you communicated TOO early, TOO much stuff and that you should NOT have done that because you want to avoid disappointing the community.

The reality being that as a community our criticism is that you're not communicating enough with as clear a view as we would like.

And THAT is what I mean by the uphill grind.. Your feedback doesn't tell us that you're going to be more clear about the future, it says the opposite. That in order to avoid disappointment and be able promote the game's marketing objectives... you are instead going to communicate less. That's the opposite of what we're asking.

Last edited:
But I also mention that there are areas that we got wrong and should have done better.
The initial response to the launch was above & beyond with Will & others staying around all evening. But since then - there are issues on consoles not being able to do missions for weeks that have been acknowledged by support on twitter but no-one on the forums has admitted there is an issue. And people buying ARX and having them go missing. fdev don't seem to be on top of these things - I'm sure you are, but there's no sign of it around here ... makes people .... antsy

I don't know...

Having been around for 5+ years it's hard to not feel like ED has been handed off to a "maintenance mode B team" while FD focuses on other things.

Their well established history of just ignoring some things that have been around forever and the slow pace of development combined with the erratic quality make it evident that not unlike many companies - (Microsoft for one) WE are the QA team and any release or patch is for us to test and sort out for them so they can decide what rises to the top for remediation.

This mentality seems to be everywhere these days and only getting more pervasive.

So it goes...

I’d last about 3 minutes as a community manager on here.

Since the September update we all know things got borked, not least of all, the mission boards. I’m out in the black at the moment and have no idea of when I get back if I’ll be able to access mission boards without constant problems.

This has happened across all platforms and has made the game just about unplayable for many, not least the new player. Mission boards give me at least 50% of my gameplay when I’m in a populated system which is about 40% of the time. For many those figures will be far higher.

What did we see on here? A campaign to get the colour of a button changed. I mean, come on. If you’re going to throw your weight around, throw it at something that is game breaking, not just a bit of a distraction.

As a community manager I would have had a few choice words for it, lots of in your face laughing and ended it all by posting my P45.

I’d last about 3 minutes as a community manager on here.

Since the September update we all know things got borked, not least of all, the mission boards. I’m out in the black at the moment and have no idea of when I get back if I’ll be able to access mission boards without constant problems.

This has happened across all platforms and has made the game just about unplayable for many, not least the new player. Mission boards give me at least 50% of my gameplay when I’m in a populated system which is about 40% of the time. For many those figures will be far higher.

What did we see on here? A campaign to get the colour of a button changed. I mean, come on. If you’re going to throw your weight around, throw it at something that is game breaking, not just a bit of a distraction.

As a community manager I would have had a few choice words for it, lots of in your face laughing and ended it all by posting my P45.
Agreed.
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/dav7z8 Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/dav7z8/calling_all_pc_commanders_please_help_us/

Well they got a reponse and it was basically um no we'll carry on as we are.

Kind of.

I got this from it:

1) We are trying to do our best, we are working hard

2) Yes, we understand your frustration

3) We do communicate, our CMs are working hard, sometimes in their own time.

4) Don't try to blackmail us by community people shutting down their channels (or whatever), community run stuff can be shut down if they want (remember this was tried before about a year ago, FD were not amused).

5) Public test server - nothing to say now, but will be discussed.

6) Don't expect anything to change.

• releases botched, ostensibly untested software
  • "our qa guys are doing an incredible effort. and it's free! oh, and, you 'influencers' ... thanks for all the fishes, you can stuff it"
  • smiles and gives himself a pat on the back

Pretty sure that's the last posting from Zac we'll see on this thread, then. What were we asking for? Oh, yeah, better communications from FDev.

Not hard to see why the situation is like it is.

Top Bottom