ANNOUNCEMENT January Update - Patch Notes

Flat fee is fine. I heard some people suggesting "% of total pay ever" and I'm like, nah, these pilots earned billions off of me already.

[...]
We should all see a marked improvement for instancing, multicrew and FD server connects.
It won't help if you got a bizarro ISP.
[...]

Can you elaborate on that? How did you come to that conclusion.

At first glance this is about data compression, so Elite will need less bandwidth. But Elite hardly needs any anyway. Was this small amount already too much for AWS?

I think Elite's problem come from the fact that networking is hard and the P2P connections aren't very reliable. Would the inclusion of this library really magically fix a lot of that or is it just a "might as well" addition to save some bandwidth?

Can you elaborate on that? How did you come to that conclusion.

At first glance this is about data compression, so Elite will need less bandwidth. But Elite hardly needs any anyway. Was this small amount already too much for AWS?

I think Elite's problem come from the fact that networking is hard and the P2P connections aren't very reliable. Would the inclusion of this library really magically fix a lot of that or is it just a "might as well" addition to save some bandwidth?

The small amount is to much For users streaming netflix and playing ED on high ping EU ISPs that are traffic shaped and delayed by third party management servers that ISP buy access too to provide actual internet connections...

ED uses Player to player connections in OPEN, with the PLAYER being the host devices in open.. servers are not used for players who join that instance after the hand of to the player that then runs the instance on there client...
If any player Is delaying data with high ping times then the data will be delayed every time that player Sends data.. so instead of it sending 3 packets which are all delayed the encryption combines those 3 packets and sends them all at the same time... so instead of there being packet 1 delayed by 100 ms and then packet 2 delayed by 100ms and packet 3 delayed by 100ms, there is just 1 big encrypted packet that takes 100 ms to get to the client with nearly 5 times the data... (example only)
Also Encryption makes it harder for ISPs traffic management from delaying P2P data on servers as encrypted data is harder for Internet data traffic shaping ISP to read...

Last edited:
Is it possible to have the time of the update ? When do servers going to be down in UTC time ? or if you decide to postpone the update ? That ll be very nice.

Another question : I always have a captcha verification while logging to this forum ? Can we get of rid of this retardation process ? I m not fancy working for Google AI.

Is it possible to have the time of the update ? When do servers going to be down in UTC time ? or if you decide to postpone the update ? That ll be very nice.

Another question : I always have a captcha verification while logging to this forum ? Can we get of rid of this retardation process ? I m not fancy working for Google AI.
They are down. Coming up in 2 hours.

All ready posted, GB/UK time is UTC time, servers allready went down be back up ~12PM UTC..

Recaptcha runs of cookies and IP address data to keep out most spam bots accounts..
If you keep triggering it its because you don't allow cookies or you keep changing your IP address as your IP is not static just like spam bots do...
Many sites use Recaptcha because currently theres nothing to replace it with..
Microsoft and SIE also use it on every PSN and Live website to reduce bots, turn Cookies on just for the forum only and it normaly means never having to do it again for the forum...

More importantly the client updates are live for download as well.
1.2GB just for PS4 as example... For some in EU on ADSL that will take longer than the servers are down for...

Its compression technology for network traffic that has to be used on each client in the network...

Due to the compression the data bit rate needed are even lower on ISP and LAN connections... the negative is the processing extra task that the clients need to do...
On battery devices like mobiles or tablets this is a bad idea so is not popular... as ED is meant to be played on mains powered devices it don't realy matter...
Not entirely true for Oodle (it is for naive compression, just compressing everything), because Oodle uses a time-space caching tradeoff. It ships a dictionary of pre-compressed snippets of data out to the client (few hundred KB, they say) and an index, so when they see a static element of a network packet that can be compressed, Oodle just swaps in the corresponding compressed snippet from the dictionary. Still costs some CPU, as well as a little memory and disk space, but the result is less data on the wire and that's apparently ED's bottleneck.

We should all see a marked improvement for instancing, multicrew and FD server connects.
It won't help if you got a bizarro ISP.
Blogpost about Oodle, some good ideas using it, they might not still be relevant.

I guess FD (well, hchalkley at least :D) know what their network protocols' data looks like and can recognise where this kind of compression is relevant, eg not on Cmdr mugshot jpegs (one would hope those are transmitted as ~64 bytes of face parameters and rendered locally, but I am rarely surprised these days) or gzipped Galnet article text.

It's been a while (since Alpha/Premium Beta) since I had a close look at things, but the dictionary approach says to me that Oodle works best where the wire data is human readable or not already highly optimised and tends to contain repetitive static blocks (think most of a web app's HTTP headers, or all the bits of rfc822 email headers that are in every email ever sent). The last time I peeked at the P2P protocol, it was already fairly tight, because it has been written to be as robust as possible in the face of all the horrid kinds of MTU limits and NAT ISPs deploy.

Where I suspect it will save bandwidth is the mission boards, market data, selling exploration data and fetching the non PG parts of stellarforge systems, which seem like the most bandwidth sensitive parts these days.

Diamondback Explorer's (can't confirm for other ships with similar Hardpoint positions) large, bottom Hardpoint clips through the floor (during and after deploying) of every bay/station I've previewed the Hardpoint on. Only solution I can think of would be to increase the ground clearance to match the deployment arc and seated position of all the large Hardpoints (particularly the Turreted ones).

Will report via the correct in-game channels when the servers are back up.

The patch notes are looking good, will have to make a trip to my first Neutron to confirm.

More importantly the client updates are live for download as well.
1.2GB just for PS4 as example... For some in EU on ADSL that will take longer than the servers are down for...
How do you get them then? I tried verifying file integrity on steam and it only found 12 files for a total of 300MBs. That can't be the entire patch can it?

How do you get them then? I tried verifying file integrity on steam and it only found 12 files for a total of 300MBs. That can't be the entire patch can it?

on PS4, it is focus on Elite Dangerous icon, Options, select check for update
if there is an update, then it'll start downloading.

...why do they make things so simple on console...

Not entirely true for Oodle (it is for naive compression, just compressing everything), because Oodle uses a time-space caching tradeoff. It ships a dictionary of pre-compressed snippets of data out to the client (few hundred KB, they say) and an index, so when they see a static element of a network packet that can be compressed, Oodle just swaps in the corresponding compressed snippet from the dictionary. Still costs some CPU, as well as a little memory and disk space, but the result is less data on the wire and that's apparently ED's bottleneck.

I guess FD (well, hchalkley at least :D) know what their network protocols' data looks like and can recognise where this kind of compression is relevant, eg not on Cmdr mugshot jpegs (one would hope those are transmitted as ~64 bytes of face parameters and rendered locally, but I am rarely surprised these days) or gzipped Galnet article text.

It's been a while (since Alpha/Premium Beta) since I had a close look at things, but the dictionary approach says to me that Oodle works best where the wire data is human readable or not already highly optimised and tends to contain repetitive static blocks (think most of a web app's HTTP headers, or all the bits of rfc822 email headers that are in every email ever sent). The last time I peeked at the P2P protocol, it was already fairly tight, because it has been written to be as robust as possible in the face of all the horrid kinds of MTU limits and NAT ISPs deploy.

Where I suspect it will save bandwidth is the mission boards, market data, selling exploration data and fetching the non PG parts of stellarforge systems, which seem like the most bandwidth sensitive parts these days.
I have no idea why Elite is bottlenecking on data loads when the bandwidth monitor lists really small upload and download amounts, but I know that something is wrong there because streaming to discord causes desync/lag, and sometimes so does streaming music. I'm on a fiber optic gigabit connection so I don't think I should be bottlenecking on my end, but it sure acts like it is.

Thanks FD for the patch, a few bits that will affect me for the better (Arcx for explorers balance, Bio/Geo scans, Asteroid belt scan spam, hopefully networking a bit smoother).

Disappointed the patch notes were shorter than usual, first time I've finished reading patch notes before finishing my cup of tea. :p

I read all the posts about this Oodle networking thing, but to a ordinary player (Me), what will it improve in my Elite Game Play? I am unfortunate to be on the end of a very old BT (Phone line company in UK) line that will only give me 15 down and 2 up, so what will oddle do for me please?

Thanks

Top Bottom