Long distance travel - Experienced help needed

Hi. I am new to travelling serious distances. I have engineered my FSD on my python to level 5. So I decided to gather some high grade raw materials from OUTOTZ HD-J D9-3 which I will gather and trade down with a material trader. Well my ship is struggling to jump now as I get further out. Is it normal to just point your ship in a direction and just wait it out until you can jump? I have tried maintaining a line as close to the galactic plane as I can but these stars are quite far apart. Any help here would appreciated as im really not sure what else to do in this situation. I have travelled from Jameson memorial

Jump distance is calculated from jump-in point (next to the central star in the system) to jump-in point, so travelling in SC towards your destination does not help.

Does your Python have max size class A FSD - and what is your current jump range?

Also I'm now not certain I'm even near the galactic plane at all 🤬! How do I know if I'm near it?

First off, 28ly will not give you a lot of opportunity when you get really far from the core, one of the arms, or as mentioned to far above or below the galactic plane. You can check where you are relative to these a couple of ways.
1. Open up your Codex, then Discoveries. This will show you where you are from a birds eye view looking down on the galaxy, 90 degree from the galactic plane.
2 Open your galaxy map and zoom out as far as you can. This will show where you are at an oblique angle which you can then orient to look down or along the galactic plane.

Edit: You're close enough to the galactic plane, but you may be between two arms (where stars can be denser), so it may be down to your relatively low jump range - or, do you have any stars filtered out?

Last edited:
First off, 28ly will not give you a lot of opportunity when you get really far from the core, one of the arms, or as mentioned to far above or below the galactic plane. You can check where you are relative to these a couple of ways.
1. Open up your Codex, then Discoveries. This will show you where you are from a birds eye view looking down on the galaxy, 90 degree from the galactic plane.
2 Open your galaxy map and zoom out as far as you can. This will show where you are at an oblique angle which you can then orient to look down or along the galactic plane.

Edit: You're close enough to the galactic plane, but you may be between two arms (where stars can be denser), so it may be down to your relatively low jump range - or, do you have any stars filtered out?
Ive logged out until later, but I will check and get back to you as im at a total loss here, never got myself into something like this.

Well, I now have all stars highlighted and im still no closer to my destination than I was before I engineered the FSD! Im getting irritated by this. Also I have no idea where the second coordinate is on the map grid? When I move the arrow around I see no coordinates

Go into the galaxy map and zoom into your current location. There are numbers written on the grid every 10 light years.
Ah! Its -50: 311: -1,140! Thank you. Im about to crash into the sun and start yet again on this long slog. I don't get what jump range is required as a minimum

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Ah! Its -50: 311: -1,140! Thank you. Im about to crash into the sun and start yet again on this long slog. I don't get what jump range is required as a minimum
As a minimum to get to where it roughly looks like you're trying to get, then 28 will easily cut it. What I think might be the issue you're encountering is that you're trying to plot a route there using the galaxy map?

If I'm right in my guess, then don't worry you can make it. The Galaxy Map has issues plotting routes when you are around low density areas of stars. You will find that you're able to manually plot a route, or try normal plotting when you're closer.

Ah, slightly ninja'd I see ;) Manual plot, you're not far now. You can do it! And remember to use synthesis for extra jump range if needed.

Ya, what is your actual destination?

As for minimum jump range, that depends on where you want to go. I do think 28 is pretty low though. I took a beefy Krait on DW2 that had ~45ly range and I struggled to plot direct routes across a few voids.

I'd recommend rethinking the Python if you're intent on reaching fringe areas. A Phantom or AspX might be better for you.

As a minimum to get to where it roughly looks like you're trying to get, then 28 will easily cut it. What I think might be the issue you're encountering is that you're trying to plot a route there using the galaxy map?

If I'm right in my guess, then don't worry you can make it. The Galaxy Map has issues plotting routes when you are around low density areas of stars. You will find that you're able to manually plot a route, or try normal plotting when you're closer.

Ah, slightly ninja'd I see ;) Manual plot, you're not far now. You can do it! And remember to use synthesis for extra jump range if needed.
I have jumped in my Asp Explorer! This should have the range I need! I hate to ask as I should know, but what the heck is synthesis??

Hi. I am new to travelling serious distances. I have engineered my FSD on my python to level 5 ... my ship is struggling to jump now as I get further out.

The Python is not a great ship for "travelling serious distances", even with an A-rated FSD module if the FSD is not engineer-modified. If you have not started unlocking the Engineers yet and want to increase your Python's jump-range I suggest unlocking Felicity Farseer and getting your FSD module modified to a topped-out Grade 5. o7

I have jumped in my Asp Explorer! This should have the range I need! I hate to ask as I should know, but what the heck is synthesis??
You can use materials stored on your ship to synthesize (create) supplies, limpets, ammunition and other things such as repairs. Look in Panel #3>Inventory>Synthesis.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
As Jetson said it's on your Systems panel. 3 levels of boost (50%, 100%, 200%) that will help you navigate the outer reaches.

Safe travels o7

As Jetson said it's on your Systems panel. 3 levels of boost (50%, 100%, 200%) that will help you navigate the outer reaches.

Safe travels o7
It’s 25%, 50% and 100% boost for basic, standard and premium respectively.

You can also use neutron stars to get a 300% boost (quadruple range). However, this is dangerous and you should take care. Here’s a guide on how to do it safely:

Last edited:
Top Bottom