Getting really fed up now.

I spend a lot of time on Steam defending this game against it's many bugs and asking people to be patient since we're only at version 1 but I am getting really fed up now. There are more bugs in the game after the recent patch than there were before. How about you do everybody a favour and reverse the patch!!!!

Very annoyingly my animals are starving and it isn't because I am improperly set up. The Keeper simply won't leave food. For my £45 you have put me in a position of thinking about dieing animals each time I finish work and want to relax. Why do I want to think about that? It's not just that the game doesn't work. My thought process, even though it is just a game, all revolve around starving animals and the in game animal abuse that I can't do anything about.

Last edited:
My animals starve all the time, too. It put me off of having Japanese macaques completely, since those were the worst offenders in my game.
Yeah, they definitely need to find a solution for that.

I had four keepers per habitat, and nearby staff buildings, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

Welcome to the world of FDev. Elite dangerous is five years old and still implementing newer and worse bugs with every update and bug fix. I dont even play these other games like PZ and JWE. I only come here to see how poorly their other games are doing in terms of quality control.

Thanks for your replies.

VioletGrey- Did you buy the Arctic DLC? I ask because if you're now in refusal to use 1 particular animal then you have effectively paid the DLC price for 3 animals not 4. Those Macaques weren't in the Winter pack of course but the point is you're 1 animal down even though you may have paid extra.

FilthyMick - I am glad you replied here, I played David Braben's original Elite, Elite+ and Elite 2 on my C64 in the 80's and, genuinely, it was going to be my next purchase. I've left messages in that forum on Steam to see what people think of the game. I was about an inch away from buying it.Maybe not any more.

I've never felt so bad about gaming in 40 years since my C64 and all because the subject is daily death to animals.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies.

VioletGrey- Did you buy the Arctic DLC? I ask because if you're now in refusal to use 1 particular animal then you have effectively paid the DLC price for 3 animals not 4 (Those Macaques weren't in the Winter pack of course but the point is you're 1 animal down even though you may have paid extra.

FilthyMick - I am glad you replied here, I played David Braben's original Elite, Elite+ and Elite 2 on my C64 in the 80's and, genuinely, it was going to be my next purchase. I've left messages in that forum on Steam to see what people think of the game. I was about an inch away from buying it. But not now, absolutely no chance.

I've never felt so bad about gaming and all because the subject is daily death to animals.
Regardless of any and all negativity on my part and that of others, i still think its a great game and id recommend it, especially if you played all the others. Its still amazing no matter how much we complain about on here. Bugs or not

And that was also the feedback I got from players on Steam Mick, great game. I am sure it is. But Planet Zoo was meant to be as well and none of these bugs are present in Planet Coaster, not one! Right now Frontier aren't having my money. Was interested in seeing Elite but I can live without it no problem whatsoever.

The thing is, while Elite might be playable despite any bugs or problems. Planet Zoo really is not playable at all. You might spend an entire evening building a really good looking enclosure that has perfect stats and lots of decorative detail only to find out you wasted an entire evening then rage quit. Mainly because it's a game of patience and intentionally easy paced slow progress. Except there is no progress, it's a waste of time. Then the psychological impact of constantly having death to animals in your head all the time.

Imagine that every day you were coming home to relax in the evening and the only thing you could watch on your TV is pet dogs being kicked to death. Anybody watched Don't F*** with Cats on Netflix? Imagine loading up episode 1 on repeat for an entire evening four or five days per week and the feeling is probably similar.

Last edited:
me too mate,too many bugs more bugs with every patch, love the game but bugs killing it...

Thanks for the reply and the links Nick.

There is a recent post on Steam by somebody thinking of buying the game but they're asking if it has stress free options. Which of course it does, happy guests, no animal ageing etc. From a gameplay point of view every single bit of stress can be removed.

But people are pointing out that the gameplay options are not where the stress comes from.

Hi Bo and thanks for your kind message. I honestly am more upset about starving animals than I am about the game itself. I fully realise that these things are very very complicated and cannot be perfected until they are out in the field.

I would be happy to send the Zoo to you such as it is (resembling a bombsite and basic testing ground) although the no feeding bug seems identical to that experienced by other players. Alternatively, there are only two habitats in the affected Zoo and these are both available on the Steam workshop.

Interestingly, It is the Orangutans which are dieing and this was not a problem until I began working on the Snow Leopard Hab.

Thank you once again Bo.

Last edited:

Bo Marit

Lead Community Manager
Frontier
Hi Bo and thanks for your kind message. I honestly am more upset about starving animals than I am about the game itself. I fully realise that these things are very very complicated and cannot be perfected until they are out in the field.

I would be happy to send the Zoo to you such as it is (resembling a bombsite and basic testing ground) although the no feeding bug seems identical to that experienced by other players. Alternatively, there are only two habitats in the affected Zoo and these are both available on the Steam workshop.

1) Snow Leopard - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1974543327
2) Orangutan - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1972781575
3) Guest facilities Blueprint is also included - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1969666770

^ That is my entire Zoo at the moment.

4) Place one of each staff facility apart from Keeper Hut and Staff Room, there should be 2 of those each (both large).
5) In addition to these Blueprints, Temperate Europe Biome is used as is the popular starting circular path arrangement.
6) Staff - Vendor for each shop, 3 each of the other staff.
5) If it makes any difference to your testing all of the staff are fully trained and fully paid. there are around 600 guests.

Interestingly, It is the Orangutans which are dieing and this was not a problem until I began working on the Snow Leopard Hab.

Also, I have noted that the Snow Leopard habitat is too large for their ideal space. The only other time I have experienced no feeding is while making a Savannah enclosure which is also very large.

Thank you once again Bo.

Thanks, yes pretty please send us your save file, this will be super helpful to us!

The Commodore 64 and Elite great game and a long time ago! did not have problems with game then unless, my memory is wrong lol. Unlike this game though it is beautiful and would be great if fixed.

Bo Marit

Lead Community Manager
Frontier
Hiyaaa, after investigating the save file we've not found any problems :) if anyone else encounters a problem like this, feel free to pop it on the Issue Tracker or send it over to community@frontier.co.uk with your save file attached!

Edit: this was dealt with via email and with QA/design!

Last edited:

Bo Marit

Lead Community Manager
Frontier
but...he clearly does have a lot of problems and bugs

We've investigated the save files this person's sent and not found the issues mentioned - we then relayed via email and checked another save file. This person is in direct touch with us and has the option to send us more information if anything else occurs :) we can't fix things we cannot replicate, but rest assured we are always interested to get to the bottom of issues and help where we can!

but hes been going on about problems for long time, how can it be.....? im lost

I'm sure they wouldn't lie about something like this. And I'm sure the OP has issues with the file which is a shame. I can see where lots of work suddenly gone is frustrating.

There could be more things at play. And it might not be the game. Or the OP's machine in that same matter.

I think it's fair they say they cant find it. At least they acknowledge them not finding the problem.

I hope with this matter for the OP that maybe a new update might suddenly bring that magic solution without it being the intention.

They are in contact with each other. That's a good thing as well.

Bo Marit

Lead Community Manager
Frontier
We'll continue to look into cases like these and are looking into more potential options to help avoid similar issues; either way this is another one that has been super helpful to our team so we can continue to make improvements and help everyone get the most out of the game!!

Top Bottom