Conspiracy theory: Long travel times were secretly designed for longer player retention

i used to think that travel times were too long but now i think it really depends on what you decide to do in the game.

when you want to do trade runs or trade/transport missions, you fly from a to b and obviously the most time you spend is traveling. that's the nature of that activity.

if you focus on combat or mining on the other hand, you don't have to travel. you can basically do those things in any system or a system that's very close to you.

some things should actually take a long time to get to. guardians, engineers, thargoids... these things are special and should take a while. but even there, with a half decent jump range, you're not traveling for hours on end. from the bubble to the guardian ruins takes you how long? half an hour? that's not a lot. grinding all the blueprints will take a lot longer.

and if we talk about in-system travel of several thousand ls, traveling doesn't take too long either. ok, all you do is fly in a straight line. but we're talking minutes here, not hours. except for some very rare occasions that are extreme cases. hutton orbital being one.

so, overall you do travel a lot. but often you only perceive it as being your primary time spender and it feels to take longer than it actually does, because you don't have anything to do while flying in a straight line. in reality though you spend a lot more time doing other things. of course, some activities are build around traveling. but you don't have to do those things if you don't want to. you can do most things in one system and systems that are very close by.

The need for food is actually a conspiracy of the agricultural industry too.
This is small potatoes 😉 compared to the biowaste conspiracy, yeah sure ag systems 'need' biowaste it's the year 3306 and you expect me to believe food grows in 'dirt'? ..next you'll want to tell me, I need a helmet in case my canopy breaks... puleeez you don't need a helmet in a station it's in space as well, bloody hemlock after my money, life support huh I'm onto you lot

This is small potatoes 😉 compared to the biowaste conspiracy, yeah sure ag systems 'need' biowaste it's the year 3306 and you expect me to believe food grows in 'dirt'? ..next you'll want to tell me, I need a helmet in case my canopy breaks... puleeez you don't need a helmet in a station it's in space as well, bloody hemlock after my money, life support huh I'm onto you lot

It isn't life support, it's death support. In the future, humans would invariably have developed the ability to breath in space, but that's just not profitable. The Hemlock suit and helmet siphons a limited amount of oxygen from the ship's "life support" systems, and when it runs out, you're basically being poisoned to death through carbon dioxide inhalation, so it really should be called Hemlock and not Remlock! All you have to do is take off your helmet and you'd be fine.

Last edited:
I don't see how that invalidates anything.

Wait. You're not one of them "Globe Earthers" who thinks we live on a spinning ball with no inertia, and everything is glued to the ground by some magical invisible force? Don't tell me you're also one of those Darwinists who thinks every living thing just happened to contain all the programming to stitch itself together of its own accord, and that matter sparked itself into organic life by some unknown freak accident?

🤪
No Inertia!

Who do you think you are?

Nils Bergenholm?

It isn't life support, it's death support. In the future, humans would invariably have developed the ability to breath in space

Now He thinks he's Kemlo.

Last edited:
Wow.. Way to wrap a perfectly understandable game design choice in a conspiracy theory..

Could it be that FDev simply made travel time somewhat reflect the size of the galaxy? This is a decision that also follows on from the previous games, Elite included.
You don't need to bore players to death to understand the size of a galaxy. Haven't you heard of SpaceEngine?

As many people have remarked, Elite is a mile-wide inch-deep sandbox, and there's no end game, and there's not a lot to do, and blah blah blah. You can argue otherwise to a degree, but let's just generally accept it because there's enough truth to it to go off.

More importantly though, it can take a long time to do a lot of things in the game, if only because of how much time you spend travelling (including looking up routes, plotting, scooping, and dealing with interdictions).

Many players don't have more than a couple of hours a day, or a few hours a week to invest in the game, so they don't usually get anything major achieved in a single session, or in a week's worth of play for them (mining for a couple of hours to buy an Anaconda notwithstanding).

This leaves many players feeling that there's a lot in the game that they haven't experienced or achieved, and so they remain fairly regular players for a length of time inordinately disproportionate to the time it should have taken to make the progress they have, thereby resulting in a good section of the player base remaining active for longer, giving developers time to come up with new content to stretch that out even further.

Well played FDev. Well played...

(Disclaimer: Obviously I'm not seriously accusing FDev of building in long travel times for this reason. That was clearly the work of the lizard people).

So, long travel times in this game are part of a nefarious scheme by the developers to inflate development times? Jesus, lol.

That's some next-level tinfoil stuff there.

It should be obvious to anyone with even a casual interest that long travel times in a game like ED is inherent, even fundamental, yet some complain like that's a problem. This game does have issues, but long travel times isn't one of them. Unfulfilled expectations of immediate gratification is a personal problem.

I've recently been reading articles in "Unscientifically Speaking" Magazine about two separate but related neurological conditions "'Justnotgettingit Syndrome" and "Didntreadthewholepostitis" both if which based on this thread seem way more widespread than the reported figures indicate, I wonder if there Is any correlation with the well documented condition "onlymyopinionmattersism" ...humm 🤔

So, long travel times in this game are part of a nefarious scheme by the developers to inflate development times? Jesus, lol.

That's some next-level tinfoil stuff there.

It should be obvious to anyone with even a casual interest that long travel times in a game like ED is inherent, even fundamental, yet some complain like that's a problem. This game does have issues, but long travel times isn't one of them. Unfulfilled expectations of immediate gratification is a personal problem.

You've misquoted me, but you haven't done a good enough job of it.

Maybe instead say,
"Long travel times in part will inflate development times, as part of a nefarious scheme by the developers."

or

"The nefarious scheme by developers to inflate development time includes adding long travel times."

or

"The inflation of development time is a nefarious scheme by developers, of which long travel times are a part."

I'm just saying...

I've recently been reading articles in "Unscientifically Speaking" Magazine about two separate but related neurological conditions "'Justnotgettingit Syndrome" and "Didntreadthewholepostitis" both if which based on this thread seem way more widespread than the reported figures indicate, I wonder if there Is any correlation with the well documented condition "onlymyopinionmattersism" ...humm 🤔

I can't claim to know, as I haven't researched opinion on these other syndromes you mention, because only my opinion matters.

Last edited:
I can't claim to know, as I haven't researched opinion on these other syndromes you mention, because only my opinion matters.
That's the correct response, however in MY LOFTY AND HIGHLY SOUGHT AFTER OPINION, you weren't condesending enough, noone will take your opinion seriously, with more bombastic language you too will be able to elevate your lowly self to the stratospheric levels of IMO-ness that others will respect...

Stepping out of character for a minute I don't get how ppl are not getting the tone of your post was pretty clear from the get-go

I thought it could be inferred, but remembered how tone doesn’t translate well in posts, and so I added the disclaimer, thinking that if the Lizard People reference doesn’t make it clear, then only a direct admission would, and that would not be in the spirit.

I put it down to this being a very dividing and hotly debated topic, so people’s minds are already working through the counter arguments before they’ve even finished reading the post. Which means I chose wisely. :p

OP. You are experiencing the usual suspects denying perfectly obvious features for those familiar with high-tech corps.

An emphasis on metrics (like time online) and manipulation of the customer base (to meet those metrics) is SOP. This is not a conspiracy per se, it is how many corporations operate. Talk frankly (if you can) to anyone in marketing communications and you'll hear embarrassed horror stories to this effect.

Spin is a universal feature of public relations. But if a corporation clearly doesn't have the interests of its customers at heart, then it quickly loses faith and credibility. This happened with Elite as Horizons produced a series of ill-designed and badly implemented features, while abandoning portions of its community.

For all their faults, Apple and Mozilla have articulated specific moral commitments to their customers around privacy and surveillance that garner respect. Queue the Apple and Mozilla haters.

Frontier has made a good effort to turn some of this around. Changes to engineering (admittedly, not optimal), exploration, and core mining (despite the nerf) are examples. Unfortunately, they haven't come clean about their past failures and haven't framed their improvements as more than a side hustle. This undermines their work and is one reason many continue to feel wary about Frontier.

Queue the sycophants and sock puppets, but ignore their bleatings.

That's the correct response, however in MY LOFTY AND HIGHLY SOUGHT AFTER OPINION, you weren't condesending enough, noone will take your opinion seriously, with more bombastic language you too will be able to elevate your lowly self to the stratospheric levels of IMO-ness that others will respect...

This too I cannot vouch for. As the saying goes, in this world it’s not what you know but who you know. To my credit, I don’t know either one of them, which leaves me in this blissful position that I plan to maintain.

Yes my wife also has asked are you still playing your "spaceship game, haven't you finished yet" I have tried to explain it's a 1:1 scale of the galaxy, there is no set quest / story line etc "how will you know when you have won" she asked I didn't really have an answer to that but it got me thinking I might not know when I have "won", but i will know when "I'm done" which ain't yet, not by a long shot

You win everytime you play and enjoy yourself.

Top Bottom