Is there a real Zoo where Apes live in this kind of Enclosure?

Is there a real existing Zoo where Apes live in a huge Dome with a tropical Rainforest inside of it? If the Answer is yes, can someone send Pictures?
Zwischenablage02(6).jpg

what's a tropical rain forest for you? and what kind of apes?
Most apes will destroy (eat, play etc.) all plants within hours or days. In my local zoo they do plant bamboo in the Mandrill exhibit every couple of months. Although they do not eat the plant, they only need 1-3 days to destroy the plant just by playing with the leaves and trunks.
That's the reason why many ape exhibits do not have plants at all or only some (best off their reach). What comes close to your original question (I know of) is this one:
0103e7f5-6d4f-3a39-bd75-9e6fc9e81ef3.jpg

Kuppel.jpg

TP_Tierwelten_Oranghaus.jpg

Last edited:
Wildlands Emmen (local zoo)

YT Video, personally gets more interesting after 1:22

Edit: Ah, Gorillas and chimps : no don't know any
Thanks for sharing. It looks beautiful. I hope we will also get someday flying Birds in Planet Zoo. They let it look so much more alive and natural. The Possibility to watch the Animals from a Boat inspired me to try later to build a second Tunnel for the Guests, so they can be closer to the Animals

Last edited:
I doubt there will ever be a zoo where you could get that close to apes. For safety reasons, First, an ape xoul climb that tree and jump on the bridge. Second, you normally have glass in ape habitats or a rather large distance, because human germs are a huge danger for apes.

The photos marcnesiumHH posted are from my local zoo. One of few exhibits the zoo did really great, IMO. You can see more of it here:

Oh. didn't see it at first and second glance. Is it covered with glass though? The germs - thing would still be a problem from that distance, if an ape would climb up.

Really, it is a beautiful habitat, that satands. You just asked for the realism factor.

Only the Viewing-Building at the End has some Glass-Walls
Affenkuppel.jpg

Affenkuppel2.jpg

Affenkuppel3.jpg

I like the Design of the Tunnel but sadly there is no Glass-Piece that fits in the Interspaces

Last edited:
I'm currently building new Enclosures for Apes and I'm trying to let them look more realistic but it doesn't look very good. Does anyone have some Tips what I could do to let it look better?
The Indoor-Enclosure for the Orangutans I'm working on currently looks like this
Orangutan Enclosure.jpg

Orangutan Enclosure2.jpg

I think I will cover the Walls with Rocks like I did in the new Mandrill-Enclosure but at first I want the other Stuff to look better. It seems like it is easier to build good diversified Climbing Structures for smaller Primates because once I've built a Enclosure for Ring Tailed Lemurs with lots of Climbing Stuff and I didn't had any Problems to make a good looking Enclosure.

It seems like my Mandrill-Enclosure isn't very realistic after I've read a Post in this Thread again (even though I think I've seen once a Drill-Enclosure or Mandrill-Enclosure where they can reach the Plants in a real Zoo)

Edit: I've got some good ideas for the Orangutan-Enclosure but I would still really like some Tips how to make better Climbing Structures for big Apes because I still need to build Enclosures for Gorillas, Chimpanzees and Bonobos

Edit : if someone is interested what the Orangutan-Enclosure looks like now, here are some Screenshots
Zwischenablage06.jpg
Zwischenablage07.jpg
Zwischenablage08.jpg
Zwischenablage09.jpg
Zwischenablage10.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly, even the first shot of that already looked better than the actual orangutan indoor room at my local zoo. As for ideas (if still possible for you at this stage of construction), I unfortunately don't know how to take screenshots but I built a pair of elevated glass tunnels passing over a guest path connecting their indoor and outdoor enclosures. Had to manually place each piece, but the game is smart enough to count them as habitat borders once each tunnel is complete. Also made their indoor room part of a larger great ape building, and placed the outdoor yard so that it has several viewpoints from within the building. Incidentally, I know its F12 for screenshots but how do I then save them to post here? TY.

I don't use F12 to create Planet Zoo Screenshots but I've used it for some other Games and I think, you don't need to do anything if you press F12. I think it will be automatically saved somewhere in your Steam-Folder.
Honestly, even the first shot of that already looked better than the actual orangutan indoor room at my local zoo.
Do you mean the Pictures of the Orangutan-Enclosure before I've got the Idea with the Pirateship, Bridges and Log-Walls?
I unfortunately don't know how to take screenshots but I built a pair of elevated glass tunnels passing over a guest path connecting their indoor and outdoor enclosures. Had to manually place each piece, but the game is smart enough to count them as habitat borders once each tunnel is complete.
I've also had the Idea to connect the Indoor-Enclosure and Outdoor-Enclosure for my Chimpanzees with a Glass-Tunnel. But the Tunnel isn't over a Path.
The Red Ruffed Lemurs can walk above the Guests and it looks beautiful.
The Chimpanzee-Enclosure isn't finished because I need to replace the Fences. I've got a Bug where the Game thinks the Enclosure has 2 Gates after I placed one, which means it is unusable. I will work on it again after I finished some Stuff in the Western Adventure Area of my Park.

I would really like it to see some Pictures of the Glass-Tunnels you're using

Last edited:
I'll try and figure it out in the next few days, but given that I just spent half an hour trying to download one album from my itunes library to my ipod (and I'm a freaking millenial), don't expect too much ;)

download 4.jpg
download 2.jpg

dowload 3.jpg
download 5.jpg

Download 6.jpg

Hope these upload correctly. Few pics of my "tunnels" as well as the surrounding exhibit and Great Apes Building for good measure. Nothing outstanding but I think they look good enough.

Construction tips for anyone building this: The tunnels are constructed out of individually placed standard 1m glass roof panels. I kept mine short, but there's no reason they can't be built longer/around corners/etc. You do have to manually place each panel, but anyone reading this has the patience to do things like that. I built these when the initial exhibit was under construction, before it had a gate. Believe that I had to place null barriers across the path and then build the tunnels so that the "near" edge of each tunnel was just inside them (so that the tunnels as well as the length of path between them are technically within the habitat). I think one of the pics shows this. I overlapped some of the glass panels, but as you can see this does reduce visibility.

Final note: Since both ends of the tunnel are within the same habitat, and only one gate can be placed per habitat, the part of the habitat on one side of the tunnel must be gateless. Since the keepers obviously can't go through the tunnels, this means that one side of the tunnel can't have any feeders or food enrichment.
download.jpg
download 7.jpg
Download 8.jpg

Sorry to hit you with so many screenshots at once, but I just figured out how to do this and kinda got carried away.

Last edited:
I know, I've already created this Thread some Time ago but I have a Question about it. What's about big Trees in Ape Enclosures? Would like to know if that's realistic. At least I don't assume that they'll rip so many Leaves and Branches out that it would seriously harm the Tree. Currently building a Chimpanzee Enclosure. Indoor is absolutely awesome. The best one I've ever built for Apes. But the Outdoor Area still looks very bland

Top Bottom