Ships AspX Explorer Build, I think I'm finally ready to go on a long expedition

I think I finally prepared my Asp for a long journey. I plan on heading out to Colonia, then to Beagle Point and finish off visiting Sagittarius A* before heading home. For anyone gone on such a long journey, am I missing anything on my build? Thank you!

AspX Build on Coriolis

Cool Asp. How much mj when the shields are powered up? Amazing you can get away with a class 2 power plant.

I'd suggest heavy-duty and deep plating on the bulkheads

Thank you! The shield health is very low when powered up, I think 78? It's low but I did survive a crash with it on a 9G world! Thank you for the tip on the bulkheads. I'll perform that mod before I leave.

I'll look again when I get back to the dock

Great build. That will go anywhere safely and quickly.

3 things to consider

guardian FSD booster? But you would have to eliminate an optional module and probably upgrade PP

1D repair limpets work but each does not do much repair

SRV? To have fun and replenish synthesis mats.

each of these would require compromises in your build, which again is great as is.

Depending on how you intend to play, you may want to consider a second AFMU and an FSD booster is never bad for range. I would take out the supercruise assist. If you prefer the repair limpets over a second AFMU I would put the controller in the free 2-slot. I would then downgrade the AFMU to size 3 and put in a size 5 FSD booster. This will give you 66 ly unladen and 70 ly max range.

I actually survived that crash with a slightly worse variation of this build. I was only level 3 on the shields at the time. I went to HD 148937 3 at the 9.77 G world to test my build with these engines. I did good except during take off I kind of fumbled the controls a bit and crashed hard. Shields went offline and I think I had around 30% hull remaining. Fortunately I engineered my machine with boost otherwise I would have been stuck. There was no way to get off that planet. I repaired my ship and just decided at that time to head off in the black for about two weeks. Now I have level 5 shields. I had no idea that the bulkheads could be upgraded, I thought that would add weight but I guess it doesn't!

Great build. That will go anywhere safely and quickly.

3 things to consider

guardian FSD booster? But you would have to eliminate an optional module and probably upgrade PP

1D repair limpets work but each does not do much repair

SRV? To have fun and replenish synthesis mats.

each of these would require compromises in your build, which again is great as is.

Slick, thanks for the tips! I do have access to an FSD booster, but I opted to have the supercruise assist. Man, I really feel I need that. It seems like I lose attention enough that I'll end up crashing into a star or something if I don't have it, so I traded the booster for the supercruise assist. I opted for the 1D repair limpet because of weight. Doesn't the 1A add more weight? I'm trying to squeeze out as much jump as I can on this small ship. It does have an SRV. It's may not be showing for you because I have it powered down on that build spreadsheet from Coriolis.

Depending on how you intend to play, you may want to consider a second AFMU and an FSD booster is never bad for range. I would take out the supercruise assist. If you prefer the repair limpets over a second AFMU I would put the controller in the free 2-slot. I would then downgrade the AFMU to size 3 and put in a size 5 FSD booster. This will give you 66 ly unladen and 70 ly max range.

Orodruin, thank you for the response! See, this is what I'm wondering about. I've been reading many experienced commanders with limited builds also take out repair limpets for a second AFMU. I kind of needed the repair limpets on my last test and very glad I had them, otherwise I would have just returned to the bubble instead of just heading out. If I ever crash on a 9G world again or crash at all, I'll be really sad I didn't bring any repair limpets.

o7 CMDRs

Last edited:
I had no idea that the bulkheads could be upgraded, I thought that would add weight but I guess it doesn't!

Yep, that's the beauty of it. Heavy-duty does add mass, except when there's no mass to begin with. Perfect for this type of build.

And I second the recommendation for the GFSDB. It would cause a shift in how she's built, but well worth it, even a class 3 will give you a nice boost. If it were mine I'd downsize the AFMU to class 3, and put a class 5 GFSDB in that slot. AFMU goes where the repair limpets are and those kick the supercruise assist out of the ship. Class 5 GFSDB takes this ship to around 66 jump.

Last edited:
Just for comparison, I recently took this build to Semotus Beacon via the Sagitarrius-Carina arm and back via Sag A*. It is pretty similar and worked very well.

Thanks for sharing that Orodruin. How did that power plant work out for you? Any overheat issues at all? Can you sit by the star and not overheat while you FSS? Nice build!

Thanks for sharing that Orodruin. How did that power plant work out for you? Any overheat issues at all? Can you sit by the star and not overheat while you FSS? Nice build!
I did not really have overheating issues and I kept most modules on except the AFMUs and could scoop to full at a decent rate without heating too much. The only times I used heat sinks were once when I dropped right in between two very close stars and when VoiceAttack heard me wrong ... ;)
The PP was not sufficient for everything but the SRV was set to lowest priority. That way it would turn on automatically when I landed and the thrusters shut down.

Edit: I would always fly away from the star in a direction perpendicular to the orbital plane before using the FSS. That way the star won’t block any planets.

Last edited:
Yep, that's the beauty of it. Heavy-duty does add mass, except when there's no mass to begin with. Perfect for this type of build.

And I second the recommendation for the GFSDB. It would cause a shift in how she's built, but well worth it, even a class 3 will give you a nice boost. If it were mine I'd downsize the AFMU to class 3, and put a class 5 GFSDB in that slot. AFMU goes where the repair limpets are and those kick the supercruise assist out of the ship. Class 5 GFSDB takes this ship to around 66 jump.

Man, I'll really have to do some soul searching to replace that SCA for the FSD Booster... I really like the comfort that the SCA offers the last time I was out in the black, and anywhere for that matter. I don't have SCA on my mining python and crashed fully laden into the exclusion zone of my home star making my trip back home the other day... I really do love that SCA. I'm almost at the point where I consider my build optimal because it has the SCA and just say screw and I'll just live with the reduced jump for that one module

Man, I'll really have to do some soul searching to replace that SCA for the FSD Booster... I really like the comfort that the SCA offers the last time I was out in the black, and anywhere for that matter. I don't have SCA on my mining python and crashed fully laden into the exclusion zone of my home star making my trip back home the other day... I really do love that SCA. I'm almost at the point where I consider my build optimal because it has the SCA and just say screw and I'll just live with the reduced jump for that one module
This is my tip for not crashing into stars, it may not be applicable if you are not using a HOTAS: Keep the throttle at zero and bind 75% throttle to a button. When the throttle is at zero I always come out of hyperspace at zero throttle. Essentially no risk of running into the exclusion zone. I also use VoiceAttack for full throttle, meaning that I basically never touch the throttle itself as I fly FA off in normal space and then use separate forward and reverse thruster controls to accelerate.

Edit: Also note - just to add to the soul searching - my build has an empty size 2 slot. You can get away with an SCA and FSD booster and two AFMUs if you get rid of the repair limpets and cargo racks.

Last edited:
I really like the comfort that the SCA offers the last time I was out in the black, and anywhere for that matter.

Right on commander, blaze your own. If you want it then it should be there. Elite ship building is one huge ball of opportunity cost, trading this for that, and we all have our favorite things. That's why I'm careful to add modifiers like "if it were my ship" because I know what works for me might not be right for the next commander.

Right now I'm 16,000 light years from Sol in a DBX. A class 2 AFMU just in case. No repair limpets as I don't feel I need them and something would have to go anyway if I did. Building the ship in your vision is more important in some ways than building an optimal one.

Last edited:
Right on commander, blaze your own. If you want it then it should be there. Elite ship building is one huge ball of opportunity cost, trading this for that, and we all have our favorite things. That's why I'm careful to add modifiers like "if it were my ship" because I know what works for me might not be right for the next commander.
Well said!

Edit: This is of course also how my ”I would”s above should be seen. Just food for thought and not ”you should”s.

Thank you CMDR's for the vote of confidence! You're both really making me rethink the repair limpets though... That is two whole slots. Admittedly, I did not use the repair limpets at all after my only snafu while 'test' landing on a 9G world with underpowered thrusters. Only then did I have to make repairs. On the other hand, I can see a use for the another AFMU because I think I already had my one AFMU down to around 95ish% after just two weeks. I can certainly see the benefit of the booster. However, won't a reboot/repair at least get my AFMU running again even if it ended up at 0%? Wouldn't I be able to use it and so a second AFMU isn't really that necessary? Also, when I was out in the black, I found the only time I would have liked the extra jump range of the FSD Booster was on my return trip home and the last few thousand light years when I wanted to speed that along.

How far down were your hulls after spending a few months out in the black? Did you make any errors and lose any hull at all?

Any ship with any thrusters can safety land and take off on any landable planet. Basically the game cheats a little to make sure you don’t get stranded.

Also on long range trips I do use 2 AFMUs just because. But 1 is always sufficient. It works fine even at 1% health. At 0% you can reboot/restore it back to 1%.

This is my go anywhere Asp build, I would suggest a repair limpet controller for any long term exploration, also I've found a 16t fuel tank is plenty and it will increase your jump range if that is important to you. Anyway it will give you some more idea's for your own perfect build. Good luck out there Cmdr :)

Top Bottom