Cygnus x-1 and black holes in general

I was trying to find cygnus x-1 on the galaxy map without success. It was the first black hole discovered.
320px-Black_hole_Cygnus_X-1.jpg

Which leads me to the general depiction of black holes in this game. They don't have a event horizon and or a accretion disk.
IMG_20200729_203146-01.jpeg

The first black hole i ever visited was Maya.
I never visited Sagittarius A* but i've seen videos of it. Doesn't look as great and menacing as i expected.
They look the same only the scale is different.Which is a shame. They should be alot more dangerous both visually and gameplay wise. A white dwarf is more dangerous.

I would also love to see a black hole scooping mass, gas from a sister star.

Last edited:
I was trying to find cygnus x-1 on the galaxy map without success. It was the first black hole discovered.
View attachment 182303
Which leads me to the general depiction of black holes in this game. They don't have a event horizon and or a accretion disk.
View attachment 182306
The first black hole i ever visited was Maya.
I never visited Sagittarius A* but i've seen videos of it. Doesn't look as great and menacing as i expected.
They look the same only the scale is different.Which is a shsme. They should be alot more dangerous both visually and gameplay wise. A white dwarf is more dangerous.

I would also love to see a black hole scooping mass, gas from a sister star.
I would love to see comets

Black Holes in ED warp the graphics
thats cool
But... that's pretty much it
Biggest weirdest thing going and it jus warps ya visuals
stupid

Black Holes in ED warp the graphics
thats cool
But... that's pretty much it
Biggest weirdest thing going and it jus warps ya visuals
stupid
You do realize that that is pretty much what a real black hole would do apart from the accretion disk and resulting jets, right?

Now, that being said, I do not know if the distortion is simulated properly in game (I doubt it based on how it looks).

I hope in time they do something to improve the visuals for them, even if there isn't really much to see without accretion disks like mentioned above. Plus we have to bear in mind that we have very limited real life images lol!

The 'best' I have seen depicted in movies was in the film Interstellar, but again it was subjected to poetic licence. Bumping into the BH in normal space WA remarkably tame though, I'd expected a bit more heat and angry ship complaining lol!

Anyway, I'm with you OP, I'd like to see more. I hope they do something, but, ...ya know...!

Just to also mention that black holes would look the same up to scale. Apart from differences in the accretion disk etc.
"Apart from differences in the accretion disk etc."
So they don't look the same after all?
Etc.

They are copy and paste but they don't look good, interesting, menacing or anything for that mather. Etc pp

And many aspects that make a black hole a black hole are missing.

Also the thread is not about an artists work, depiction of them.
They are examples of what is missing from the game depiction.Event horizon for example. Doesn't mean they look exactly like that in real life(colours etc.)

o7

Last edited:
The unit type is there. but there are unit types for a number of things that apparently aren't in the game.

Black holes and their lack of anything fall under the umbrella deficiency the game has of not having environmental hazards in space. Many, many many options. The only one they take is some slight heat buildup if you get too close to stars.

with an active black hole (any with an accretion disc) it would probably be so hazardous with radiation alone, that you wouldn't be able to get remotely close to it. Certainly not enough to see the disc via your ship. Even without jets the radiation from the disc would obscure the event horizon completely and it would just look like a big star. An angry xray and gamma ray producing star.

You do realize that that is pretty much what a real black hole would do apart from the accretion disk and resulting jets, right?

Now, that being said, I do not know if the distortion is simulated properly in game (I doubt it based on how it looks).
Yeah thats all cool but get ‘too’ close and its... not only the highest mass but also the highest mass plus lame thing in the glaxi
Really is quite literally well e in game

basically, none of the things other than what's not modeled in the game such as radiation and debris and magnetic interference would be exclusive to black holes ....but rather any gravitationally large star too. Just to less or more degrees depending on how massive the black hole is.

I'm sure the exclusion zone for any black hole (in this hypothetical) would stop you before you got remotely close enough for any of the fun black hole-exclusive effects.

Can't have players get sucked into a star they got too close to. Just like we can't have players not able to launch from a planet that's too massive for their thrusters to lift-off in.

It really ought to say Take Control of Your Own Starship in a Bubble-Wrapped Sterile Galaxy.

Top Bottom