Hotspots should be rerolled periodically

We can debate the schedule, but there should be one. Hotspots shouldn't be permanent.

RELAX! - this wouldn't be the end of mining.

There's clearly the capability within the community to survey rings and find new double painite or double LTD sites. In fact, it's an activity that a lot of people enjoy organizing and participating in. Rerolling the hotspots periodically would (for the community) split mining into two parts: a search/survey phase, followed by a mining rush phase. Occasionally, there would be no known double hotspots. That's not the end of the world. Occasionally there would be triple hotspots and you'd drop everything to go mining.

Also, the price for painite and LTDs could go up the longer we go without a good site, and would drop if we find several in a row. People with carriers could become speculators - it'd make sense for them to buy above the average price if the price is low, because they could hold their supply in the hopes that the price will go up.

But mostly, it just means the location where activity is centered would move around a bit. There'd be more variety.

Do you think...if you own gold mine it will be iron week later ? >:
Universe is created and must remain static. Bad idea was to add tritium at 1st place. Better thing to do was to add special refinery which do trit from water or so.

In a planet's rings, yes.

In the game, the rings rotate like a record on a record player. That's done for practical reasons. In the real world, asteroids at different distances from the planet orbit at different rates. This constantly mixes up the asteroids.

Therefore, it might be true that you would occasionally find "hotspots" for the same reason that you will occasionally find planetary alignments, but they wont last.

So yes, what I propose is MORE realistic than what we currently have in the game. Sorry. I thought that part was really obvious so I forgot to explain it.

In a planet's rings, yes.

In the game, the rings rotate like a record on a record player. That's done for practical reasons. In the real world, asteroids at different distances from the planet orbit at different rates. This constantly mixes up the asteroids.

It's much more likely that the material in a ring would get spread out evenly so there were no hotspots in the ring you are envisioning, that's assuming a basic ring without shepherd moons and binary GG's and things like that. Hotspots, if there were any, would really be dependant on gravitational disturbances, so it should be possible to predict where the hotspots would be and since different types of material are affected by gravity differently then it's quite possible that metal bearing rocks would permanently coalesce in one area. In the real world rings are extremely complex so don't assume to much based on the simplified model in ED.

Probably best to leave hot spots where they are until they are mined out or close to being so. We already have enough toys flying from prams these days. But new hot spots could crop up as old ones die out, in random places.

:D S

For any such process you can't speak about weeks, you should speak about thousands of years at least.
Including depletion. We have enough players to deplete 1 ring in 10000 years if we mine 1000t/hr.

So ye, can count all static while game alive.

IMO Hotspots should have a set number of materials that gets depleted over time until they're gone as an hotspot. What we have now is infinite materials in hot spots that never run out. A re-roll of hot spots is unrealistic in every sense.

IMO Hotspots should have a set number of materials that gets depleted over time until they're gone as an hotspot. What we have now is infinite materials in hot spots that never run out. A re-roll of hot spots is unrealistic in every sense.
Given the size of rings these things being infinity is quite realistic. Now for all the people dropping into the exact place all the time... I can not comment on that. I do know that persistent rocks would be a Database admins nightmare

Universe is created and must remain static. Bad idea was to add tritium at 1st place. Better thing to do was to add special refinery which do trit from water or so.
my impression wasn't that it would lose its composition, but rather placement would change. meaning the LTDs would overlap sometimes and spread out other times. it would be pretty cool in my mind.

A re-roll of hot spots is unrealistic in every sense.
No, it's much more realistic than what we currently have. A hotspot should be a chance alignment of high-value asteroids. It should happen occasionally just like planets line up occasionally.

As a game designer, you could try to model that realistically with an algorithm that takes into account the orbits of billions of rocks - but that's impractical. Option 2, you could just have them randomly appear and disappear - that simulates the most important features of the real system. Option 3, you could leave them static - that does not simulate the most important features of the real system.

What I propose is the most realistic practical option.

No, it's much more realistic than what we currently have. A hotspot should be a chance alignment of high-value asteroids. It should happen occasionally just like planets line up occasionally.

As a game designer, you could try to model that realistically with an algorithm that takes into account the orbits of billions of rocks - but that's impractical. Option 2, you could just have them randomly appear and disappear - that simulates the most important features of the real system. Option 3, you could leave them static - that does not simulate the most important features of the real system.

What I propose is the most realistic practical option.
It's not realistic at all. Hot spots are an apparent abundance of said materials in their given hot spots. Materials don't magically appear or disappear (let's say every server tick for example) anywhere let alone rings. They are either there or not. Can you imagine digging a gold mine inside a mountain only to have the gold magically moved to another mountain every other day. The amount of salt from that would cause the forums to melt down I imagine.
And Option 3. They are not static. The rings orbit around the body they are orbiting.

Also a terrible idea.

But hey, let's leave it static, and just price everything according to its availability. LTDs with a price comparable to water would be a good start.

In a realtime game, the universe may appear static.. What is 5-10 years compared with the 13+ billions years of universe age

Top Bottom