HP Reverb G2 impressions in Elite Dangerous

A thread for anyone who's managed so far to get their hands on a G2, to tell what their experience in Elite has been like.
I think it would be helpful if anyone posting lists their system specs along with the settings they used, and what the performance was like, as well as what VR headset was previously their daily driver (if any), so their impressions of the G2 will have a bit more context. I went from Rift CV1 to the G2 myself.

EDIT: I found a better configuration for my system specs is to set SteamVR resolution to 80%, switch on Motion Smoothing in WMR and SteamVR, and use the below mentioned Elite Dangerous Graphics Options, but with Shadow Quality and Ambient Occlusion at their highest settings. Picture is very clear, text is sharp, effects are great. I didn't bother to check my FPS this time, choosing to just see how flying in and out of stations and engaging in combat feels, and it's very smooth.

Below is from a Reddit post I made, but I will say that if you want to bump some settings or sampling up, then you can enable Motion Smoothing enable Motion Reprojection in WMR via the default.vrsettings file (see next post by @HeavyGroovez) and it should be quite playable, as long as your FPS is still a stable and consistent 60+. Also note that as of my last play session, SteamVR is still not reporting the correct per-eye 100% render resolution of the G2, so manage your SS settings between Steam and your games carefully.

System Specifications
Intel Core i9-9900K
nVidia Geforce RTX 2080Ti
16GB RAM

To get a mostly stable 90fps with occasional dip spikes in stations, I used the following settings and measured with fpsVR:

SteamVR
Global Render Resolution per eye: 100%
Elite Dangerous specific resolution multiplier: 50%
Disable Motion Smoothing

Elite Dangerous Graphics Options
Select the "VR Ultra" profile
Switch off Blur
Switch off anti-aliasing
Set Shadow Quality to Low
Set Ambient Occlusion to Low
Set Super Sampling to 1.0x
Set HMD multiplier to 1.0x

With the above settings the picture quality will be very clear, but you will still see some aliasing. As a test, I set HMD quality to 1.5, and while FPS took a big hit, aliasing was pretty much eliminated. The black levels are not at all an issue for me, despite not being as deep as the CV1's OLED screens. Text is clear and easily readable, there's no Screen Door Effect, God Rays feel like they happen when they should be happening, the colours are vibrant, and the game world feels like you finally managed to tune your signal right and get clear reception. There's really not much else to say about it.
I'm new to WMR, and have never tried modifying graphics settings in SteamVR before, so I'm sure more experienced people will know how to play with settings to get a better result with the same system specs.

General
Visual quality
Potentially super sharp and crystal clear, but depending on the machine driving it and the level of optimisation of the game you're playing, you may more realistically have to reduce your graphics settings, giving you a somewhat downgraded experience compared to what the G2 is capable of, but still a much improved and more enjoyable visual experience when compared to the CV1.

Comfort
Headset comfort is better than the Rift CV1, due mostly I think to the fabric face-gasket. The strap system I found harder to fine-tune as compared to the Rift, but once done is also more comfortable for longer play sessions.

Sound
While the over-ear speakers sound noticeably better than the stock CV1 speakers, I was using the Rift Inner-ear earphones, which sound great, and block out virtually all other sound to improve immersion. You can't attach other headphones to the G2, so to get a better audio experience, you'll need to remove the headphones and use your own - preferably via Bluetooth, as otherwise that's an addition cable to manage, which may not be a big deal for seated play, but may be restrictive for room-scale.

Sweetspot
There is some contention over the size of the sweetspot, but what I've observed, and some others have commented on, is that the areas outside the sweetspot and in your peripheries appear much more blurred in contrast with the very sharp image in the center of your vision. That would make the perimeter of the sweetspot more defined, which may make it seem considerably smaller. This may possibly influence when a person has decided that their sweetspot has been found, if they're focusing too much on the contrast in clarity between the center and the edges, particularly when coming from a CV1. In the Rift CV1, there wasn't so much of a difference, and so the sweetspot may have appeared larger, and easier to find.

FOV
The Rift CV1 took almost no fuss to get into maximum FOV position, at least for me. For the G2, I found it's really important that you adjust your fit in steps. Firstly, adjust for your sweetspot and then your comfort. After that you need to ensure you've brought the lenses as close to your eyes as possible without losing comfort to a degree you find unacceptable, so that you get the most out of the device's FOV. There is some give in the straps even with the Velcro on, so what I do is put one hand on the part of the strap that sits at the back of your head, and one hand on the front of the HMD, and squeeze them together. The difference is immediately noticeable, and doing this doesn't mess with your sweetspot calibration.

Other Notes
There is a considerably longer amount of time between clicking to launch Elite Dangerous in Steam VR and having the game load than there was with starting the game from the Oculus library. I've transferred my Oculus copy of Elite Dangerous to Steam, so I'm not using Revive to launch it. Cliff house is an unnecessary part of the experience, and it's annoying that you need it running at all when in most cases you won't want to do anything in it. Overall though, I don't think anyone will disagree that the refinement of experience in the Oculus ecosystem is considerably better than WMR at the moment.

Last edited:
Motion smoothing will not do anything it is native to the SteamVR runtime not the SteamVR for Windows Mixed Reality runtime.

You need to enable WMRs own motion vector reprojection.

\Steam\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings\default.vrsettings

Code:
// Motion reprojection doubles framerate through motion vector extrapolation
//     motionvector = force application to always run at half framerate with motion vector reprojection
//     auto         = automatically use motion reprojection when the application can not maintain native framerate
//     disabled     = turn off motion reprojection
//
// Comment out or remove this line to use the SteamVR settings for controlling motion reprojection
        "motionReprojectionMode" : "disabled",

Motion smoothing will not do anything it is native to the SteamVR runtime not the SteamVR for Windows Mixed Reality runtime.

You need to enable WMRs own motion vector reprojection.

\Steam\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings\default.vrsettings

Code:
// Motion reprojection doubles framerate through motion vector extrapolation
//     motionvector = force application to always run at half framerate with motion vector reprojection
//     auto         = automatically use motion reprojection when the application can not maintain native framerate
//     disabled     = turn off motion reprojection
//
// Comment out or remove this line to use the SteamVR settings for controlling motion reprojection
        "motionReprojectionMode" : "disabled",

Thank you I didn't know that.

Does it still feel like you're wearing goggles like the rifts? On paper it looks like pretty much the same fov as the rift/rift-s, which is a shame. The day I can get the quality of the reverb (sorry pimax, the support/infra just isn't there) with a fov that's big enough to eliminate the goggle effect, I'm there.

Does it still feel like you're wearing goggles like the rifts? On paper it looks like pretty much the same fov as the rift/rift-s, which is a shame. The day I can get the quality of the reverb (sorry pimax, the support/infra just isn't there) with a fov that's big enough to eliminate the goggle effect, I'm there.

There is still a goggle-like viewport, though it is noticeably improved as compared to the Rift CV1 once you get the fit right. Honestly though the clarity of image majorly distracts from that concern, as you may find yourself too immersed to remember the FOV.

It's not that I'm always obsessed with it, but I notice it off and on, and it definitely breaks immersion a bit. I do wonder why around 110 seems to be such a standard, tech limitations aren't what they used to be. The index cheesed this a little by having users shove the headset as far into your face as possible, but for me that's the only thing that's missing for my "dream" headset.

It's not that I'm always obsessed with it, but I notice it off and on, and it definitely breaks immersion a bit. I do wonder why around 110 seems to be such a standard, tech limitations aren't what they used to be. The index cheesed this a little by having users shove the headset as far into your face as possible, but for me that's the only thing that's missing for my "dream" headset.

This is true, though the dream headset I imagine would come at a hefty premium, well above most people’s budget. HP advertised this as a “no compromise” headset, though the average FOV, lack of an input on the headset for headphones, sub-optimal controller tracking, controllers with no capacitive sensors, and the relatively small IPD adjustment range are effectively built-in compromises in an otherwise excellent headset.

On a positive note, controller tracking can and probably will be improved via software over time, third party face gaskets that bring the eyes closer to the lenses to increase the effective FOV will eventually become available, and Bluetooth headphones can be used. Moreover, for people with the budget, or those who already have the Valve Index, the Index capacitive controllers with the lighthouses can be used with the G2.

Hah, did they really say no compromise? To me there's a ways to go before anyone could say that. Off the top of my head, aside from what you said there'd be foveated rendering/eye tracking and wireless.

That's the frustrating part for me though, the reverb is actually everything I want minus the fov. I don't care that much about tracking, I don't mind if I need to use different headphones etc. I'll cross my fingers that's on their list of improvements for v3 :p

I do wonder why around 110 seems to be such a standard, tech limitations aren't what they used to be.

Because the optics problems are inherently difficult to solve with lots of tradeoffs involved?

As for foveated rendering, you'd need some software that actually uses it. Omnicept edition might get the ball rolling a bit, but I doubt it. It seems we're just as far from it as we were in 2014 when it was tossed out every three posts.

Mine should turn up tomorrow. Will put it through it's paces and see how it goes!

Good stuff, though I don't play Elite anymore, I may be tempted to try again once my preordered G2 (if ever) arrives.
Though I might sit tight on it as the 1080ti will be surely streched out. But eventually I will buy a 3080(ti) to give it justice.

Because the optics problems are inherently difficult to solve with lots of tradeoffs involved?

As for foveated rendering, you'd need some software that actually uses it. Omnicept edition might get the ball rolling a bit, but I doubt it. It seems we're just as far from it as we were in 2014 when it was tossed out every three posts.

Mine should turn up tomorrow. Will put it through it's paces and see how it goes!

Plus, even on this FOV hardwares are pushed to the limit. I think it will take another two generation of GPUs to be able to drive a high definition, wide FOV headsets.

Good stuff, though I don't play Elite anymore, I may be tempted to try again once my preordered G2 (if ever) arrives.
Though I might sit tight on it as the 1080ti will be surely streched out. But eventually I will buy a 3080(ti) to give it justice.

Plus, even on this FOV hardwares are pushed to the limit. I think it will take another two generation of GPUs to be able to drive a high definition, wide FOV headsets.

I use a G1 (same resolution) with a 1080ti , on high settings with no fps issues.
My biggest issue with the G1 is the IPD. The "software" adjustment is a joke.
My IPD is 72mm, so I think the G2 might be a bit better but the IPD range is still too small.
I would be interested to learn how any G2 users with larger IPDs get on.

I use a G1 (same resolution) with a 1080ti , on high settings with no fps issues.
My IPD is 72mm, so I think the G2 might be a bit better but the IPD range is still too small.

My IPD is around the same as yours. Clarity is still excellent, but I do feel like the sweetspot and FOV suffer somewhat as a result of the G2 not meeting my IPD.
I'm hoping a lower profile third party face gasket becomes available soon to get my eyes a little closer to the lenses and mitigate things a little.

Does anyone know how the resolution of the G2 correlates with the rift s with pixel density turned up a bit? Eg if the G2 is at native resolution what pixel design would that equate to on the rift s in terms of how hard the computer is working.

Cool, good to know! I guess no supersampling and some volumetric effects need to be toned down. At the very least ithe latter tanked my FPS while using the CV1.
I am fortunate as I am at around 64mm IPD which is bang on in the middle of the range...

Just got a notification that I can expect my G2 to arrive by Dec 4, or with in a few days of that. Can't wait!

Cool, good to know! I guess no supersampling and some volumetric effects need to be toned down. At the very least ithe latter tanked my FPS while using the CV1.
I am fortunate as I am at around 64mm IPD which is bang on in the middle of the range...

Just got a notification that I can expect my G2 to arrive by Dec 4, or with in a few days of that. Can't wait!
I also use a 1080ti with a G1 with ultra (and some of Morbad's beyond ultra) settings.
With a 1080ti there's no solid 90fps graphics setting unless you turn down SS which I'm not willing to do, so if I can't hit 90fps anyway I turn use the ED ultra graphics settings with as close as 1:1 SS in SteamVR there is and use WMR reprojection which I personally think is good and worth trying out.

WMR reprojection is NOT turned on by SteamVR, this doc tells you how plus other info:

Using the above I think the experience is really good, except that WMR is not very user friendly.

Does anyone know how the resolution of the G2 correlates with the rift s with pixel density turned up a bit? Eg if the G2 is at native resolution what pixel design would that equate to on the rift s in terms of how hard the computer is working.
Not quite sure I understand what you're asking, do you mean your supersampling rate on the Rift S?

Rift S is 1280x1440 per eye,
G2 (and G1) is 2160x2160 per eye, about 2.5 times the pixel count or about 150-160% supersampling over the Rift S.

Not quite sure I understand what you're asking, do you mean your supersampling rate on the Rift S?

Rift S is 1280x1440 per eye,
G2 (and G1) is 2160x2160 per eye, about 2.5 times the pixel count or about 150-160% supersampling over the Rift S.
Yes, thanks, sorry I meant pixel density not pixel design. Stupid autocorrect!
Often supersampling or pixel density are expressed as 1.0,1.1,1.2 etc, I'm not sure how that equates to a percentage though. Do you think that the G2 being 2.5 times the pixel count of the Rift S would be the equivalent of supersampling of 1.25?

Got mine today. Loved the picture once I worked out the best way of fitting it, bigger sweet spot than CV1 but a bit smaller than Index. Lost tracking on one controller twice for no apparent reason, very irritating seeing it locked in place and rotating a little no matter where I waved my arm around as the other one worked perfectly fine. Turning that controller off and on restored functionality but I shouldn't have to do that. Granted, I've never used inside-out tracking before and am spoiled. Turned off the vibration because it felt awful. Haven't gotten the 1.6 batteries yet, maybe those will help.

Most of the decent reviews seem about right: this thing needs a WMR tracking update (there's one in beta if you opt in to the insider thing) and a new set of controllers to really sing. The more hysterical posts on reddit are over-egged. I'm not sure if I'll keep the Index in the other room and the G2 with the HOTAS/wheel setup or use the Knuckles controllers with this rig and sell the HMD. It feels kinda decadent having both. But surely 2020 calls for some decadence.

SDE isn't gone despite all the raving, it's hard to detect if motionless, but the second you move your head around you see that fine mesh pretty clearly. Still, a nice advance and a reasonable price point if you have a good CPU/GPU. We're getting there. Next I want a non-Pimax 4k x 4k and 20-30 degrees more FOV! And a real monster of a GPU to drive it, so it should be more than a few years for that. Hopefully we'll have sorted out cheaper varifocal by then, that's a real stumbling block for comfort in these things.

Anyone try the Windows Insider build with the tracking update yet? I'm scared that'll break everything else and I won't be able to do that work stuff that pays for all these toys.

Last edited:
I also use a 1080ti with a G1 with ultra (and some of Morbad's beyond ultra) settings.
With a 1080ti there's no solid 90fps graphics setting unless you turn down SS which I'm not willing to do, so if I can't hit 90fps anyway I turn use the ED ultra graphics settings with as close as 1:1 SS in SteamVR there is and use WMR reprojection which I personally think is good and worth trying out.

WMR reprojection is NOT turned on by SteamVR, this doc tells you how plus other info:

Using the above I think the experience is really good, except that WMR is not very user friendly.

So is reprojection that good? I thought it works well in really slow games like flight sim.

So is reprojection that good? I thought it works well in really slow games like flight sim.

You probably know this, but for those who may not, the playability with reprojection is proportional to your FPS. The closer you can get to 90 frames per second, the less frames have to be generated, and the smoother it feels. The more accustomed to VR you are, the more comfortable you can be with higher reprojection rates.

Currently I’m running Elite with 80% render resolution in SteamVR, and Ultra settings with HMD and SS at 1.0 with Shadows and Occlusion at max (Bloom and Blur off). It’s so far the best balance of image quality and smooth play I’ve arrived at.

Top Bottom