Open letter to FDEV

I genuinely had no idea of any of this. Chicken and egg now but explains why I rarely see streamers involved in the actual debate but just using the forum to advertise their latest video which can seem like using the forums just to make money which probably doesn't lead to a greater response towards them.

Some streamers are very opinionated, so it wouldn't be unusual to find someone of the exact opposite opinion when you advertise your own, and the forums is where they reply coz they dont have a YT channel or dont want one.

It would be a shame if the result was that the streamers retreated into their own echo chambers though.

The forums may be a better place now than when they left....maybe should try engaging again if not just posting click-bait, and theres now a dedicated Streamer Schedule thread where they can do that anyway.

There's definitely an element of chicken and the egg. And yes, a lot of video makers certainly use this forum to post their videos, I can understand why that would bother people.

Some streamers / YouTubers are more opinionated then others...but then again everyone posting on the Internet (even on these forums) is often expressing an opinion.

I wouldn't say the forums are "better" now compared to any time in the past. :D To be honest, I can only speak for myself - but these forums are just one of the Elite communities among many. It certainly isn't the largest, busiest, or most friendly one but from time to time there a few goods posts here. :)

Also, YouTube definitely isn't an echo chamber, have you ever read comments sections? The amount of abuse, and craziness that gets posted there really is something else! 😂 🤪

rocket science 101: streamers look for attention, audience, popularity, praise and income. if they wanted to learn, to challenge their own views, to perfect their vision of stuff, to discuss or to have fun communicating in general they would have opened a collaborative discussion forum, not a one-way "channel" in a content monetization platform.
sigh, that this stuff even needs to be spelled out ...

You mean like a Discord server with over 8000 members? 🤪 https://discord.com/invite/ObsidianAnt

sigh, that this stuff even needs to be spelled out ...

It didnt. But while being morally superior you obviously missed the subtlety entirely and the fact that maybe I wasn't using the occasion to insult someone but instead trying to get a POV across. Maybe thats why I kept using the general word they so it wasnt aimed at anybody...maybe its partially fault on both sides but to just ignore or dehumanise the other is not healthy

streamers look for attention, audience, popularity, praise and income

Most of humanity does this, they want to be liked, whats wrong with that? I tried to make the difference between this and the perception of spamming for money or perceived feelings of superiority.

There's definitely an element of chicken and the egg. And yes, a lot of video makers certainly use this forum to post their videos, I can understand why that would bother people.

Some streamers / YouTubers are more opinionated then others...but then again everyone posting on the Internet (even on these forums) is often expressing an opinion.

I wouldn't say the forums are "better" now compared to any time in the past. :D To be honest, I can only speak for myself - but these forums are just one of the Elite communities among many. It certainly isn't the largest, busiest, or most friendly one but from time to time there a few goods posts here. :)

Also, YouTube definitely isn't an echo chamber, have you ever read comments sections? The amount of abuse, and craziness that gets posted there really is something else! 😂 🤪

Who are these people they will be dealt with.

I genuinely had no idea of any of this. Chicken and egg now but explains why I rarely see streamers involved in the actual debate but just using the forum to advertise their latest video which can seem like using the forums just to make money which probably doesn't lead to a greater response towards them.

Some streamers are very opinionated, so it wouldn't be unusual to find someone of the exact opposite opinion when you advertise your own, and the forums is where they reply coz they dont have a YT channel or dont want one.

It would be a shame if the result was that the streamers retreated into their own echo chambers though.

The forums may be a better place now than when they left....maybe should try engaging again if not just posting click-bait, and theres now a dedicated Streamer Schedule thread where they can do that anyway.

Well I mean, I'm not saying you have to like The Pilot or anyone else. I guess I was just taken aback by the outright hostility and vitriol of the comments his post received. I would think there would be at least some appreciation for content being created for Elite in general.

I like Will and Kate too but I just wish Kate didn't have such a staunch aversion to using shields. Most all of us use shields, so her videos would be more informative if she used builds that weren't so exotic.

Obsidian pass that along for me at the next Content Creators Galactic summit please sir ;)

It didnt. But while being morally superior you obviously missed the subtlety entirely and the fact that maybe I wasn't using the occasion to insult someone but instead trying to get a POV across. Maybe thats why I kept using the general word they so it wasnt aimed at anybody...maybe its partially fault on both sides but to just ignore or dehumanise the other is not healthy

dehumanise who? i'm talking about online activities.

Most of humanity does this, they want to be liked, whats wrong with that?

wanting to be liked is not the same as advertising for money, nor attention ing. this is exactly what i'm talking about:

I tried to make the difference between this and the perception of spamming for money or perceived feelings of superiority.

it should be obvious what anybody's intentions are in this context. i didn't even qualify none of it as "wrong", i'm totally fine with someone wanting to use this forum for self promotion, whether he gets away with it or gets scalded, it's still the same thing. except when i say it i'm somehow being "morally superior"? dude ...

No. Just by being the Dangerous Discussion forums. This place has a rep. don't you know.
1614095490305.png

... is this our rep? 🤔 Could be... ;)

Shall I wade into the Content Creator discussion? OK then

In my experience, content creators can't take criticism. I was defending one content creator on here from unfair criticism, and mentioned I was not their biggest fan (this was while defending them), and that person then blocked me.

So you can say all you like that they don't get treated well on here, but they get what they deserve. They care more about ad revenue, being popular and people who tell them how wonderful they are, than they do about the game they claim to have an interest in. And I'm not referring to one specifically, but to all content creators in general regardless of which game.

AND BEFORE YOU PILE INTO ME, THIS IS AN OPINION

No. Just by being the Dangerous Discussion forums. This place has a rep. don't you know.
No, honestly I don't. As far as I know the only thing I can do here is express an opinion about stuff, within the rules I agreed to.
Someone might not like that in turn, but 'scaring people away' seems a bit... much.

Top Bottom