Ships What ship to mine in hi res or haz res in solo?

Hi all. I discovered mining for engineering purposes and i fond it fun!
Now i want to know what's the best ship for mining solo in good location and having a good chance ti beat pirates (pve)
if you can give me also a build i'll thank you twice. :D

I'm not sure why you would try to mine in a hi res or haz res. You've got an entire ring to choose from, why go where the pirates will definitely be?

I'm noob on mining. I've thought in haz and hi i'll find better spot to mine good ores.
I explain better: i want a ship that don't explode if attacked. :p

I took a Federal Corvette in Hazardous Resource extraction site in an icy ring, ready to do laser mining and shoot pirates, after about 50km from center the pirates stopped spawning, also couldn't find any asteroids with high value diamonds. My suggestion for you is to go into a hotspot recommended by edtools.cc/miner website, wait for the pirates that spawn in to scan you which will ignore you if you don't carry anything else but limpets and proceed to mining high valued minerals. Once you have enough credits, build a dedicated combat ship then go to combat zones, hazardous sites, compromised navigation beacons or pirate activity signal sources or even thargoids for your combat needs.

I already have a combat vette and i made billions. Now i want to have fun with mining.
i was considering a cutter but i don't want to spend money to build a miner ship that can be blow up from pirates.

I discovered mining for engineering purposes and i fond it fun!
You chose the wrong method I'm afraid ;) By the way in Haz RES the boost in mineral percentage is significant, just stay 12/14 kilometers from the Hotspot center, you'll see much less Pirates that way, if they show up boost away and then get back to your business.

I already have a combat vette and i made billions. Now i want to have fun with mining.
i was considering a cutter but i don't want to spend money to build a miner ship that can be blow up from pirates.
Def Cutter. Big shield, gimballed beams, mining eqpt.

I took a Federal Corvette in Hazardous Resource extraction site in an icy ring, ready to do laser mining and shoot pirates, after about 50km from center the pirates stopped spawning, also couldn't find any asteroids with high value diamonds. My suggestion for you is to go into a hotspot recommended by edtools.cc/miner website, wait for the pirates that spawn in to scan you which will ignore you if you don't carry anything else but limpets and proceed to mining high valued minerals. Once you have enough credits, build a dedicated combat ship then go to combat zones, hazardous sites, compromised navigation beacons or pirate activity signal sources or even thargoids for your combat needs

The bonus in frags is UP TO 20 km, obvious you won't find anything worth at 50 km lol !|

And you need to get in those ResH who are overlapping the hotspot with the minerals you need, man: if you search the rings you will find a lot of places where a Tritium or Brome hotspot include, overlapping, a ResH - dive there and stay in the 15-20km range - not so many pirates to harass you, and you fill the cargo a lot faster.
The Vette is the best for the job, in a peculiar build, next come the Annie and at a lower degree, the Cutter.

I mine, myself, ONLY in ResH now, in Colonia, using a Vette or a Annie . I got 200 tones of Tritium in less than 1 h, and some 15-20 kills easily - hell, I do even massacre missions in the Vette when I do the mining !

Def Cutter. Big shield, gimballed beams, mining eqpt.
The Cutter is the worst next to the Vette and Annie - you cannot "dance" a Cutter inside rocks like you do with a Annie and especially with the Vette. And Both Annie and Vette have much, much better hard points, with better weapons. Is not about tanking but about killing fast the Pirates and resuming the mining, if you take too long killing them they will grow in numbers over you, and you only can tank until a point, after that, you must boost away or get a rebuy screen.

The Cutter is the worst next to the Vette and Annie - you cannot "dance" a Cutter inside rocks like you do with a Annie and especially with the Vette. And Both Annie and Vette have much, much better hard points, with better weapons. Is not about tanking but about killing fast the Pirates and resuming the mining, if you take too long killing them they will grow in numbers over you, and you only can tank until a point, after that, you must boost away or get a rebuy screen.
I usually do all my mining in unshielded T-9s with heatsinks as weapons.
So Yeh, my opinion probably not valid.

You chose the wrong method I'm afraid ;) By the way in Haz RES the boost in mineral percentage is significant, just stay 12/14 kilometers from the Hotspot center, you'll see much less Pirates that way, if they show up boost away and then get back to your business.
Except you can build a Annie or better, a Vette, and kill them then resume the mining, The boost on frags is so great - is worth the effort. Is the opposite of mining in wilderness, alone, when you can watch a movie and do the mining. It Is a stressful ambient, indeed, but also a lot of fun, with tons of adrenaline.
I usually do all my mining in unshielded T-9s with heatsinks as weapons.
So Yeh, my opinion probably not valid.
The builds for efficient mining in ResH are different, you need to achieve the best balance between fast mining + good defense + fast killing, in a place where you have big rocks all around at 500-1000m. - and be aware you can get swarmed by 3-5-10 Pirates in the same time, if you take too long to pop them. Remember, you are the "honey pot" there, especially when you have 100-200 tones of Tritium, Platinum, etc in your belly.
The good thing you can synth at infinitum, if you keep mining, so you will never run out of ammo :p

Last edited:
When it comes to mining itself I did mine for tidy sum when core mining void opals was still a thing, and with well shielded Cutter rocks were not a problem at all.

When it comes to mining itself I did mine for tidy sum when core mining void opals was still a thing, and with well shielded Cutter rocks were not a problem at all.
Rocks.... AND Pirates. The mix of those will give a hard time to the Cutter - awfully hardpoints location, compared with Annie and Vette, and worst maneuverability , also. You will tank, obvious, more, but you will take a lot more hits ( and that you only tank up to a point ! ) because you cannot turn enough fast or aim at the attackers swarming you from all directions. And you cannot boost away inside a dense rocky field. You end-up loosing shields and getting swarmed by more and more pirates.
Sure, is much better than a T10, but the Annie and especially the Vette are far more adequate to survive in such harsh conditions.
I tried all of them, trust me, with all kind of builds.

Rocks.... AND Pirates. The mix of those will give a hard time to the Cutter - awfully hardpoints location, compared with Annie and Vette, and worst maneuverability , also. You will tank, obvious, more, but you will take a lot more hits ( and that you only tank up to a point ! ) because you cannot turn enough fast or aim at the attackers swarming you from all directions. And you cannot boost away inside a dense rocky field. You end-up loosing shields and getting swarmed by more and more pirates.
Sure, is much better than a T10, but the Annie and especially the Vette are far more adequate to survive in such harsh conditions.
I tried all of them, trust me, with all kind of builds.
That may be problem while mining. But in bounty hunting at haz res I have found my Cutter to be adequate. No problem taking down wings of pirates.

That may be problem while mining. But in bounty hunting at haz res I have found my Cutter to be adequate. No problem taking down wings of pirates.
Nobody argue about that, killing Pirates when you have a build for that - but when you go mining, that build goes away.... reason why I said the build for EFFICIENT mining & fighting is peculiar, and one must achieve the perfect balance between firepower, defense, AND fast , efficient mining.
Unfortunately, the Mighty Cutter, who is indeed THE best miner in soft places ( alone in a hotspot) is not the same when confronted with the constant pressure of fighting ... AND mining. All those things who make a Cutter great at fighting are severely reduced by mining equipment ( lower shield, 3 hardpoints dead since you put there mining tools, 6 internals out since you put there rafinery, prospectors, limpets, surface scanner, etc - all this greatly reduce the Cutter fighting ability.
On the other hand, the Vette will keep the big shield intact ( advantages of 2 class 7 comp. ! ) , will still have the 2 HUGE hardpoints free to pop any Pirate very fast, and is far more nimble inside asteroid fields, with a much better ability to deliver great deal of damage because that perfect location of those hard points.

Same advantages for the Annie, except she will carry less cargo ( 256 tones vs + 320 in the Vette). But the Annie will do the job almost like the Vette. Not far behind.

Last edited:
Only thing I would mine in haz res is bounties. They are plentifull.
You can do the same while you do the mining. I keep the "wanted" scanner in all my miners ( Annie and Vette), and hell, I do massacre missions while I do the mining.
You are in a "honey pot", so the "bounties" will come to you, no need to search for them !

Nobody argue about that, killing Pirates when you have a build for that - but when you go mining, that build goes away.... reason why I said the build for EFFICIENT mining & fighting is peculiar, and one must achieve the perfect balance between firepower, defense, AND fast , efficient mining.
Unfortunately, the Mighty Cutter, who is indeed THE best miner in soft places ( alone in a hotspot) is not the same when confronted with the constant pressure of fighting ... AND mining. All those things who make a Cutter great at fighting are severely reduced by mining equipment ( lower shield, 3 hardpoints dead since you put there mining tools, 6 internals out since you put there rafinery, prospectors, limpets, surface scanner, etc - all this greatly reduce the Cutter fighting ability.
On the other hand, the Vette will keep the big shield intact ( advantages of 2 class 7 comp. ! ) , will still have the 2 HUGE hardpoints free to pop any Pirate very fast, and is far more nimble inside asteroid fields, with a much better ability to deliver great deal of damage because that perfect location of those hard points.

Same advantages for the Annie, except she will carry less cargo ( 256 tones vs + 320 in the Vette). But the Annie will do the job almost like the Vette. Not far behind.
Well my ship when I rig it for mining has same huge shield gen anyways. It was made to be jack of all trades PVE ship. I have not built it for pure combat, usually shields keep NPC's from damaging it. For example it always has limpet controller because, well I usually collect mats from bounties too. Normally also SRV-hangar, additional fuel tank and so on, those I ditch while mining. About only major difference is in hardpoints, though biggest ones always have weapons. But yeah I would not mine with it in haz res, as place begins to look like shark tank at feeding time as soon as you have something valuable in hold.

Well my ship when I rig it for mining has same huge shield gen anyways. It was made to be jack of all trades PVE ship. I have not built it for pure combat, usually shields keep NPC's from damaging it. For example it always has limpet controller because, well I usually collect mats from bounties too. Normally also SRV-hangar, additional fuel tank and so on, those I ditch while mining. About only major difference is in hardpoints, though biggest ones always have weapons. But yeah I would not mine with it in haz res, as place begins to look like shark tank at feeding time as soon as you have something valuable in hold.
You see, my friend, fast mining means 3 class II mining lasers ( or 2 class II and 2 class I ) AND 3 limpets for each of them = 3 x class V controller limpets.
If you add the refinery, the prospector, the detailed scanner, you realize you "loose" 6 comparts only for mining tools, ( or 7 even 8 if you count with the cargo racks) .
That will let the Cutter almost fragile for sustained combat, and you lose also 3 class II hardpoints.... You can hold your high for 5-10 15 minutes and 3-5 waves, but not so much for a wave or two, combined ( 3 - 6 NPC at once) every 5 minutes or less, for an hour....
The Major handicap is you cannot boost at will when you are in the middle of rocks, and you have a hard time turning that big, heavy whale, to face several attackers at once.... You will tank hits, damage, up to a point when you are on the last ring, because you cannot kill them fast enough to allow you to resume mining and do an efficient mining in the same time.

Top Bottom